Modern Death Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well than you'd have to consider Lykathea Aflame a gimmick as well.

Actually no - there is a big difference between having a gimmick and being unique.

Lykathea Aflame's inclusion of the middle eastern influences are not flaunted around in any "OMG WE ARE TEH COOL EGYPTIAN DEATH METAULZ" kind of way and it feels honest, combined with their spiritual lyrics and generally uplifting sound.

Nile do the same shit time and time again, not going for uniqueness outside of their gimmick.

Lykathea Aflame don't rely on a gimmick to stand out, simply pure quality that happens to be unique.

:lol:

Not even.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife
Gorod - Neurotripsicks
!T.O.O.H.! - Rad a trest
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Scythe - Decay
Wayd - Decadance
etc

and obviously Stargazer - TSTTS

all kill that gimmick of a band.
See I find nothing too special in most of the band mentionned above and I think "in their darkened shrines" awesome. Nile are just way more original than most of these overtechnical bands.

I mean sure Gorod, Tooh and Arghoslent are enjoyable at time but that's not my cup of tea most of the time.

Actually no - there is a big difference between having a gimmick and being unique.

Lykathea Aflame's inclusion of the middle eastern influences are not flaunted around in any "OMG WE ARE TEH COOL EGYPTIAN DEATH METAULZ" kind of way and it feels honest, combined with their spiritual lyrics and generally uplifting sound.

Nile do the same shit time and time again, not going for uniqueness outside of their gimmick.

Lykathea Aflame don't rely on a gimmick to stand out, simply pure quality that happens to be unique.

nile has as much variety in their songwriting as any band ever. Sarcophagus is basically a doom metal song, "lashed to the slave stick" is a groove/death metal song, they have several epic songs, and then they just have alot of very brutal straightforward death metal songs. Their last album didn't have much of that egyptian influence outside of the 2 or 3 epic songs (the rest were very brutal technical/groovy death metal).

Darkened shrines especially stands out to me as every song is very distinct and quite excellent in its construction. I mean fuck how many bands can play at 250 BPM like "execrat" then slow down to about 30 BPM in "sarcophagus" ?

I don't see how one could find Nile more special than those bands, but whatever - if the boot fits wear it I suppose.

nile has as much variety in their songwriting as any band ever. Sarcophagus is basically a doom metal song, "lashed to the slave stick" is a groove/death metal song, they have several epic songs, and then they just have alot of very brutal straightforward death metal songs. Their last album didn't have much of that egyptian influence outside of the 2 or 3 epic songs (the rest were very brutal technical/groovy death metal)

Sarcophagus isn't basically a doom song anything.

:lol: @ thinking adding groove to a few songs is being varied.

I don’t think Nile relies on a gimmick to stand out.

As a matter of fact I always thought they would be better without the Egyptian theme.

Over all they ARE a talented band and do play good music. Now it is all according to taste but you can’t sit there and tell me their music is shit; that's just mindless.

If you don't like them I completely understand but undermining their talents and unique style is a bit ignorant, No?

I mean listen to a song like Execration Text and tell me that it sounds generic or gimmicky, seriously.

I do not doubt you or your knowledge of Nile or Metal in any way, but how much of Nile have you heard? Just curious…

I haven't heard many bands with more variety in their songwriting than nile. Hell I would say they have more variety in one album than the entire discography of bands like deicide, immolation, dismember, cannibal corpse, suffocation, etc...

Immolation have progressed more and more with each album.

nile plays very brutal/technical/groovy death metal, and outside of the egyptian influence (which is masterfully executed IMO but anyways), they are still a great band

I don’t think Nile relies on a gimmick to stand out.

As a matter of fact I always thought they would be better without the Egyptian theme.

Over all they ARE a talented band and do play good music. Now it is all according to taste but you can’t sit there and tell me their music is shit; that's just mindless.

If you don't like them I completely understand but undermining their talents and unique style is a bit ignorant, No?

I mean listen to a song like Execration Text and tell me that it sounds generic or gimmicky, seriously.

I do not doubt you or your knowledge of Nile or Metal in any way, but how much of Nile have you heard? Just curious…

I'm not denying their talent - but think of it this way, would people care about Nile without their "Egyptian themes."

Most likely not. They're pretty generic once you take away the Egyptian shit. And sure the same could be said for Lykathea Aflame what with their Middle Eastern music elements and their spiritual lyrics - but again as I stated before they don't come across as "HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE UNIQUE" which for whatever reason (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks as such) Nile does.

I've heard 3 albums - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, Black Seeds of Vengeance, and Annihilation of the Wicked.

I stand by - especially having heard AotW - that without their gimmick they lose whatever makes people notice them. AotW was simply forgettable (even more so than their other albums)

I'm not denying their talent - but think of it this way, would people care about Nile without their "Egyptian themes."

Most likely not. They're pretty generic once you take away the Egyptian shit. And sure the same could be said for Lykathea Aflame what with their Middle Eastern music elements and their spiritual lyrics - but again as I stated before they don't come across as "HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE UNIQUE" which for whatever reason (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks as such) Nile does.

I've heard 3 albums - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, Black Seeds of Vengeance, and Annihilation of the Wicked.

I stand by - especially having heard AotW - that without their gimmick they lose whatever makes people notice them. AotW was simply forgettable (even more so than their other albums)

Well I do understand what you're saying with the "HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE UNIQUE" crap, that does get annoying but I think the fans create that more than the band did and it just grew out of control.

As for the albums I think Catacombs was too raw.

Black seeds was very average (progress was made) and Annihilation was a bit weak.

I think their undisputed album is In their Darkened shrines, by far!

Well I do understand what you're saying with the "HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE UNIQUE" crap, that does get annoying but I think the fans create that more than the band did and it just grew out of control.

As for the albums I think Catacombs was too raw.

Black seeds was very average (progress was made) and Annihilation was a bit weak.

I think their undisputed album is In their Darkened shrines, by far!

yea I agree that the fans have made it so big. Nile themselves uses the egyptian atmosphere/keyboard pieces very tastefully

Nile is a great band, all four of their full legnths are nothing short of outstanding though Black Seeds of Vengeance has to be my least favorite because of the production, it kills it for me.

amongst the catacomb...
in their darkened shrines
black seeds of vengeance

All rules but I'd have to agree that annihilation of the wicked lost a bit of touch. The riffs on the other one are a bit better,

Status
Not open for further replies.