Modern Death Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo, just got my copies of Stargazer - The Scream That Tore The Sky and !T.O.O.H.! - Rad a trest in the mail today :D

Nile bores me to tears. The only albums I have from Nile are Black Seeds and Annihilation of the Wicked and the former bores me the least out of the two.

I would much rather listen to Behemoth and Kataklysm

Some interseting views here, I personally like Nile and they are awesome live. Although I don't pin all my hopes on them. A new album is out soon so let's see if they step away from Egypt.

How about:

Anaal Nathrakh
Behemoth
Rudra
Excessum
Anima Damnata
Myrkskog

I think Nile would be better served to slow down and focus more on atmosphere. I don't see where else is left to go in terms of speed and technicality. Are they going to play an extra 5 bpm faster, or add more notes to the solos? That would be a waste. More songs like To Dream of Ur and The Black Flame.

I think Nile would be better served to slow down and focus more on atmosphere. I don't see where else is left to go in terms of speed and technicality. Are they going to play an extra 5 bpm faster, or add more notes to the solos? That would be a waste. More songs like To Dream of Ur and The Black Flame.

they have plenty of slower/atmospheric songs, especially on darkened shrines. Sarcophagus is brilliant

the band really is one of the most versatille and best all around DM bands out there

edit: I agree with you though, I hope they don't become a technicality/speed wankfest. This band has always been about the songwriting and let's hope that doesn't change

one thing I am hoping to see in the new album is george kollias' drums being higher in the mix. The last nile album, alot of the times the blast beats weren't even audible because george's drums were so low in the mix

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote goes to Arghoslent or Augury. I always thought Bloodbath was more modern death metal, but Breeding Death(my favorite EP ever) is definitely not.

My vote goes to Arghoslent or Augury. I always thought Bloodbath was more modern death metal, but Breeding Death(my favorite EP ever) is definitely not.

I think Bloodbath became modern with Nightmares Made Flesh. You can see the band getting more serious and adding harmonies/melodies and what not with ressurection through carnage and making the music more interesting and professional, but this album still sounds very oldschool still with a modern twist to it somewhat. With bloodbath you hear old schoollish death metal riffs and also the modern harmonies/melodies you hear in katatonia and diabolical masquerade.

Are we talking about modern sounding DM, or just bands who are relatively new or have recent releases?

It's seems a lot of people's lists are very confused if we're talking about the former.

I think Bloodbath became modern with Nightmares Made Flesh. You can see the band getting more serious and adding harmonies/melodies and what not with ressurection through carnage and making the music more interesting and professional, but this album still sounds very oldschool still with a modern twist to it somewhat. With bloodbath you hear old schoollish death metal riffs and also the modern harmonies/melodies you hear in katatonia and diabolical masquerade.

Agreed, they're probably my favorite DM band. Really looking forward to their next release(even if Dan left).

Nile is probably my favorite band.
every release is killer and they kickass live
they always have badass drummers, and Karl and Dallas are amazing guitar players.
and on top of all that, Dallas has the best growl....imo.

Behemoth is good stuff too.

Really? That sounded like run of the mill, boring as fuck, modern DM - I really do stand by my point that without their Egyptian themes no one would give a shit about them.

uh modern DM doesn't have that sort of atmosphere, not to mention most modern DM has shitty songwriting

anyways anybody want to tell me some heavy as fuck/very dark modern death metal similar to early morbid angel (no obvious choices like vader) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.