Most complicated music

Complexity in musical instrumentation is almost entirely irrelevant for me. Conceptual complexity, on the other hand, is highly important for most music, though I certainly enjoy plenty of Meathead Metal.

Dodens Grav said:
Complexity in musical instrumentation is almost entirely irrelevant for me. Conceptual complexity, on the other hand, is highly important for most music, though I certainly enjoy plenty of Meathead Metal.

+1.:headbang:

Metal is about the feeling, the atmosphere, the emotion, not some note counting, time analising gayness.

I'm just expressing my view that the complicated nature of the music is an after thought to how it makes me feel.

So, mumble, with the greatest of respect, fellate me. :lol:

imo once a thread is created, it can be used to facilitate discussion on all kinds of things, whether they were the intent of the thread starter or relevant to the original topic or not. also, I agree with Carcassian, etc. on ow really valuing complexity in metal/music... I enjoy it sometimes, but it isn't the be-all-end-all.

How many people in here even PLAY piano?.... I mean, comon. Don't arbitrarily judge a peice of sheet music written for an instrument foreign to you.

And what the hell is up with that spiral sheet music??? How is that any more complicated than a peice written correctly... Because you have to get someone to spin your music while you're playing it?

Mumblefood said:
are you talking about lyrics?

No? I don't think that is implied in my post...I'm talking about conceptual complexity in musical idea (e.g. the usage of elements, the development of ideas, the incorporation of various emotions and atmospheres in a seamless manner). Of course, I wouldn't object to a complex lyrical narrative, and in fact it often accompanies musical complexity, it is inessential at best as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with dodens. Lots of seemingly simple songs are full of subtle complexity. For example, take a sustained tone. You could have spent years fiddling with effects and stuff just to get that tone, and even though it sounds simple, there is like thirty effects applied to it. Or, more as dodens was thinking, development of ideas. Lots of black metal spends like 10 minutes full of chockloads of repitition to develop this musical theme to maturity, and the progression itself is very complex.

As for that song, I think the two treble clefs just confuse. If it is one clef for each hand, it makes sense. but if it is just to make it neater, then it sucks/

I agree with Dodens as well. Bands that just exist to play fast and well don't spend time developing ideas, which is what I'm interested in. If a band can capture an emotion and flush it out to life, they are far and away better than a band who can't, even if band A plays simple and band B plays ungodly fast. But, speed and proficiency make a huge difference. When a band plays fast and well it is fun and entertaining to listen to, but isn't art, simply entertainment. I prefer art to entertainment but I likes me some entertainment if it is well done.