Most Depressing Song Ever

...like a lot of you have said, "Suicide Note part 1" by Pantera. Others that I've thought of:

Megadeth - "Time, The Beginning"
Rush - "Losing It"
Pink Floyd - "Don't Leave Me Now"
Ozzy Osbourne - "Revelation (Mother Earth)"
Elton John - "Funeral For A Friend..."
Genesis - "The Lamia", "Ripples", "Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers...", "Burning Rope", "Many Too Many", "Heathaze", "Alone Tonight", "Evidence of Autumn", "Open Door", "Since I Lost You", "Shipwrecked", "Uncertain Weather"

Godspeed You Black Emperor - BBF3

After hearing that monologue from the homeless guy right in the middle, you'll definitely be ready to go.

Fear Of God - Emily, Red To Grey, Drift... actually any song from their Within The Veil-Album
Paradise Lost - True Belief, Christendom, Take Me Down
Machine Head - I'm Your God Now, Crashing Around You, All In Your Head, Deafening Silence

ShadowOfFire said:
Goddamn right he does! Grew up with him and still love him. !:kickass:
I think Goodnight Saigon is a more depressing song than Piano Man, especially if you listen to the lyrics and stuff.
If I really thought about it long enough, I might could come up with something else, but "Goodnight Saigon" is a great song that makes you think. Another one (non-metal) would have to from Elvis's Aloha From Hawaii "An American Trilogy." I'm not an Elvis fan but that was one of his last concerts he performed and that song is haunting.
As far as a "metallish" song, I would have to say "Changes" by Tesla. I have never really been depressed, so I'll just go with a song that gives me the creeps and that one does it.

Bryant

Embers Astray said:
I totally agree with you on this one. Damn, that album is completely out there....when I first heard it, I thought it was complete shit...but after a few listens something just clicked and I understood what "The Reverend" Steve Austin was trying to get across in this album, even though he has lost his mind after attempts at suicide.

How is 'Sadness Will Prevail' in comparison to 'In The Eyes Of God'? I couldn't really get into ITEOG because of the vocal style that Steve uses (just my opinion), has some kick-ass drumming though!

Somberlain said:
Abyssic Hate - Depression-Part 1
Yeah, Abyssic Hate are depressing for sure. All their songs seem to be about suicide and stuff (I happened to stuble across their lyrics on that Dark Lyrics website). I wish I could get a hold of their music somehow.

Life Sucks said:
Yeah, Abyssic Hate are depressing for sure. All their songs seem to be about suicide and stuff (I happened to stuble across their lyrics on that Dark Lyrics website). I wish I could get a hold of their music somehow.

I can help you with that.

Sadness Will Prevail is a lot different than In The EYes of God...but same vocal delivery.

I think one could nominate the entire Khanate, Today is the Day, Burning Witch, Electric Wizard catalog, and most of Eyehategod and Crowbars catalog as well.

Every song from these bands is pretty fucking depressing.

Edgecrusher said:
How is 'Sadness Will Prevail' in comparison to 'In The Eyes Of God'? I couldn't really get into ITEOG because of the vocal style that Steve uses (just my opinion), has some kick-ass drumming though!
Well, first off, the drummer on "In the Eyes of God", Brian Dailor, has left the band quite awhile ago, and joined Mastodon. GET MASTODON'S "REMISSION" AND GET IT NOW!

Okay, and as for Today is the Day's "Sadness Will Prevail", it is a two disc, two hour masterpiece, that tends to be more on the experimental side of the spectrum. In comparison to "In The Eyes of God", Steve uses a wider range of vocal styles, there are instrumental tracks, has a complete theme of desparity through out the entire album, and if you were ever deeply depressed, you would totally understand what is trying to be put across to the listener on this album.

Since you are not a fan of his vocals.....I would say download it first.

Start with the songs.....

The Nailing
Death Requiem
Sadness Will Previal
Invincible