Most overrated bands?

I have to agree with my friend Dreamlord. Dimmu Borgir is over rated.
I can't believe one of you guys said Megadeth was over rated. Comon man, they mustaine co-wrote the book with hetfield. I fucking hate it when people can't stand Led Zeplin. Dude, comon, they fucking formed the roots on which metal was made. Yes, Sabbath had a say, they added the heavier side to it but Zeplin was doin shit before them. Their is a part in Dazed and Confused that sounds like the signature riff to Paranoid. Or should is say Paranoid sounds like that riff in Dazed, because Zep did it first. Its one thing to not like them but you have to atleast respect them for what they did. I'm not a Dio fan, but I think that guy is the fucking coolest metal singer ever and I appreciate what he's done for metal.

Dreamlord said:
I'd have to disagree here. Both bands have huge followings. Hell, just look at all the threads praising Dimmu's latest album like it's the best thing since the invention of the condom.

CoF has gone platinum on one of their albums. I'd hardly call that underrated.

For every hater of Dimmu, there are 5 loyal followers. They simply keep there mouths shut.
They both have a pretty large amount of detractors though, which I think keeps them out of overrated category. Not at all like a band like Opeth that gets nearly unanimous praise from all parts of the "metal community" (really hate that phrase but I can't think of a better wording here). Just like I wouldn't call Limp Bizkit overrated because even though they sell millions of records there's tons of people who know they're crap and say so.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I fail to see how My Dying Bride are overrated. I'm not a big fan of Turn Loose the Swans, but The Angel and the Dark River or The Dreadful Hours....just amazing.

I just don't see what the big deal is with MDB. Stainthrope is just whiny. THere are much better doom bands out there, yet MDB are constantly praised like they invented the damn genre.I always found it hard to sit through an entire album of theirs. Too much filler with too-slow songs=boring.

also, i too dont see how exactly my dying bride is overrated, i think theyre rated the same, though i do think turn loose the swans is way too high a praise, i mean theres so many ppl out there that make it seem so groundbreaking though its not, its just less death metal than as the flower withers+clean singing, still its awesome nonetheless

I think the Rolling Stones are the most over rated shit band. They didn't pioneer anything other than making shitty music and selling shit loads of records. They will always be that british band that wasn't the beatles (are though there are other great british bands, I'm just saying that because the stones came relatively clos after.

graveflower said:
They both have a pretty large amount of detractors though, which I think keeps them out of overrated category. Not at all like a band like Opeth that gets nearly unanimous praise from all parts of the "metal community" (really hate that phrase but I can't think of a better wording here). Just like I wouldn't call Limp Bizkit overrated because even though they sell millions of records there's tons of people who know they're crap and say so.

Like I said, the detractors are more vocal with their opinions than the loyal fans. And I'd say 90% of the magazines and zines praise Dimmu to no end, simply because that is Nuclear Blasts big band.

doom metal is all about being slow though lol, and besides my dying bride by far did not create the genre but you have to look at what theyve done over the years, the started from a death metal band to a doom metal band with so many clones its annoying, so at least that should be respected at least

yeah, I know it's suppose to be slow, but MDB just grate on my nerves, and yet I hear nothing but constant praise for them.

some more IMO:

Morbid Angel
Gorguts (mainly Obscura)
Pantera
Meshuggah
Burzum
The Gathering
Tool
Cynic
Entombed
Mayhem
Slayer
Sepultura

i agree my dying bride is THE doom band, and by far one of the most influential these days, turn loose the swans is possibly the best doom release but i just think ppl praise it just a little bit too much. well in the doom world it basically goes like this, beat my dying bride and your gods just about, but i dont think any1 is goign to do that anytime soon

Skepticism are indeed good, but I'd rather hear MDB.

Other of my favorite doom albums:

Anathema - The Silent Enigma
November's Doom - The Knowing
Paradise Lost - Gothic
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day

Now perhaps my love for MDB becomes clear. :p