Who's The Most Overrated Metal Band

Darkthrone; good.... but not that good!
Dillinger Escape Plan; Cephalic Carnage wipe the floor with 'em!!
Emperor; Ihsahn suffers from "head up own arse syndrome" Used to be pretty good but followed a similar path to Metallica.

Originally posted by MacMoney
If so, why are you listening to shitty not-that technical bands like think Opeth, Arch Enemy, Meshuggah, and Cryptopsy instead of actually technical bands like Watchtower, Spastic Ink, Lethargy, The Dillinger Escape Plan etc.?

Cryptopsy aren't technical? WHAT THA FUK!!!!!!:err: :s

BWP rocks imo....

but then again i am a fan boy :p

i can accpet the fact that people think they are over rated though.... people who like opeth really like it.... and people who dont get it ....dont get it.

i think every one agrees that they are at least an above average to good solid band though?

imo the most overrated band is nirvana.

The thing is why do you ppl have to be so cynical, concentrate on the good things about the bands who can make music better then you. You guys are being really abnoxtious i think to criticise many good bands, if you dont like their music then you dont like it, however mabey others do. Stop being so narrow minded

Dont hate, appreciate.

Originally posted by Abigor
Cryptopsy aren't technical? WHAT THA FUK!!!!!!:err: :s

Compared to the bands I mentioned, they aren't.

macmoney has a point technicality isnt always better but its better than mayhem. But letaT alos has a point metal can better if there is some technical skill involved

If something is more technical than something else it doesn't make it better or vice versa. Some things can be too simplistic while some things can be overtly technical though more bands succumb to overt technicality than to being too simplistic.

If you want to listen to technical playing, metal isn't your choice of music.

Lately I found a lot, not to mention fans who open their veins for them, but one that easily comes to mind is Van Halen, bad musicians, bas music, bad image, bad everything!

Compared to the bands I mentioned, they aren't.

If something is more technical than something else it doesn't make it better or vice versa. Some things can be too simplistic while some things can be overtly technical though more bands succumb to overt technicality than to being too simplistic.

If you want to listen to technical playing, metal isn't your choice of music.
To some extent thats right, but I beg to differ when it comes to some bands.

How the hell are Sabbath overated? They invented the whole damn thing! Metallica, although being a bunch of dicks, and "selling out", were a damn good band at one time. Cradle of Filth are overated. I also think that Iron Maiden are slightly overated. I wouldn't call them the greatest metal band ever, yet so many people do.

Originally posted by FailingAcension
To some extent thats right, but I beg to differ when it comes to some bands.

If you think that the more technical something is, the better it is, metal really isn't a good choice for you. That's the whole of it.

well, i defintely agree with jade. stop being narrow minded guys, listen every bands to have fun and pleasant times, not only to critisize. if you are a musician then tell your opinion but don't tell it like "i know the truth about music" every metal band has something for someone and thas's the important thing

In my personal opinion, i think that the most overrated band is mayhem, not in musical standards, but damned¡¡¡ they only have two studio albums and the second one is the most strange blackmetal album that i've ever heard¡. They are not a bad band but i think that they have done very little things in the musical aspect to be so praised. the true legacy of mayhem is most because they were an important part of "black metal history", in terms of atitude

If you think that the more technical something is, the better it is, metal really isn't a good choice for you. That's the whole of it.

What genres are you speaking of? (this is not arguing, I'd just like to know:))

I'm going with Nile as well. They were good live the few times I've seen them but I just can't get into their albums.

I agree with the sentiment that too many bands, especially in the new-school death metal field are overly concerned with technicality. Its wqhy I really can't think of a single new school DM band I like, its all cold and monotonous, songwriting does not exist in death metal any longer. Its all about out 'brutal'ing the next guys or showing off that you can do six string arpeggios. It sjust that, thats not terribly rare, and it doesn't matter if you can't WRITE something that actually matters. I'm the biggest fan of bands like Death and Atheist, and still love all the bands that used to be from the heyday of death metal. Stuff like Origin and Necrophagist, however, comes across to me as meaningless and empty, and the technicality of it isn't much to hold onto when you've heard bands like Dream Theater and Spiral Architect anyhow. On that note, I want nothing more than to be able to say I support death metal bands again, I just have to wait until things turn around, I guess...

Also, as far as overrated bands go, Symphony X gets my vote...I love progressive music...I am a big fan of power metal...but SX has always bored me to tears.