Most Overrated Metal Band

One of the most overrated metal bands, in my opinion...

Children of Bodom.

Now, I can't stand when people equate overrated with "They suck"...Children of Bodom is a really good band, I have a lot of respect for them and I like them. However, you can put on any of their cd's and count the Iron Maiden riffs. I know that saying that's becoming classic "we're all playing (insert classic metal band here) riffs"...but there's a difference between obvious influence and copping a riff. I'm sure there are people who will disagree with me, and there are probably more overrated bands out there...this is just my opinion of course, I just hear a lot of people going on about how original c.o.b. are.

OH, and even though I don't really consider them a metal band, I second that about KISS...nothing special, unique or particularly intersting about them other than the makeup. Catchy songs, I chalk them up to basically being shock-pop.

Firstly npearce sorry I was ignorant towards you didn't mean to insult you. Secondly explain my Sabbath thing in a lil more depth wasn't thinking when I put it its morely Ozzy that I think is the overrated one of the band mainly because he hardly did anything other than sing the songs he had written for him. Every one I speak to on this subject credits only Ozzy not Sabbath and every one is all like "Ozzy is the god of metal he started it all" which is incorrect because Ozzy was apart of Sabbath without Sabbath he couldn't have started metal alone well he might have done but I doubt it a lot from his newer material. As for who really started well thats a hard one Sabbath did infulence it but so did others at that time I'd say the real heavy metal side came into it when bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica started making music. Sabbath were classed as heavy rock a lot of the time which is why I will never say Sabbath made the biggest contribution to metal.

Terminal Spirit Disease: I'll still have to say that I think Sabbath is the most influential band in heavy metal history. Followed by Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, etc. I think you're only looking at modern metal like At the Gates, In Flames, and so on. Just because Sabbath weren't fast doesn't mean they weren't metal. They were the essence of everything metal is supposed to be. But that is another point.

As to Ozzy . . . I'd have to agree that he is given too much credit for what Sabbath has done. In fact (correct me if I'm wrong), didn't Black Sabbath play at the Queens little shin-dig the other day. In the US it was advertised as Ozzy playing there. I hate when the media messes up stuff. However, I think anybody that knows much at all about metal doesn't give Ozzy more credit than he is due for Sabbath.

I dunno, all you have to do is watch or listen to Speak of the Devil, and that's how it should have been done, IMO.

Sabbath NEVER sounded that good.

Originally posted by xenophobe
I dunno, all you have to do is watch or listen to Speak of the Devil, and that's how it should have been done, IMO.

Sabbath NEVER sounded that good.

Ozzy is a great metal icon, but my point was that Sabbath is about more than just Ozzy. Plus Sabbath was around more than 10 years before Ozzy's solo stuff. I think that says something about Sabbath's ingenuity and the magnitude of what they were doing at that time.

I'm not even that big of a Sabbath fan.:rolleyes:

Sometimes i has really to ask me: Hell, what's going with you?

Opinions like BATHORY (Fuck, Bathory is underground, how it should be overrated?) or OPETH (don't you play an istrument?) makes me crazy.

There are some really shitty bands on this planet like:
MANOWAR (terrible)
KISS (sucks)
Nu Metal (i don't know what's the name of band with Fred wurst, but the rest of this directions is shitty too)
HIM

Originally posted by Warmaster
Sometimes i has really to ask me: Hell, what's going with you?

Opinions like BATHORY (Fuck, Bathory is underground, how it should be overrated?) or OPETH (don't you play an istrument?) makes me crazy.

There are some really shitty bands on this planet like:
MANOWAR (terrible)
KISS (sucks)
Nu Metal (i don't know what's the name of band with Fred wurst, but the rest of this directions is shitty too)
HIM

Wow, your German and don't like Manowar...jesus, never thought i'd see the day.......:)