most underrated band ever

Novembre IMO
except for their last album, The Blue, which in my opinion isn't that awesome.

Also Katatonia, and Arcturus

I thought The Blue was their second best after Materia personally. Novembrine Waltz is overrated as far as Novembre goes imo. But yeah they deserve more cred although considering the style of music that won't happen. At least I'd expect more recognition in the metal world.

Katatonia
Scar Symmetry
Riverside

And like that chap side on the last page,I don't think the prog genre as a whole has not certained not recieved nowhere the recognition it has deserved.

not a band... just a composer... Bach: never will acquire the respect and the recognition he deserved ... i mean, i don't believe in god, but sometimes his music makes me hesitate...
For a band... Inti Illimani

Not that your argument isn't valid, but, just so you know, in the music theorists circle, Bach is regarded as a god. If you start a debate amongst music theorists as to who was the greatest composer, it will almost certainly come down between Bach and Beethoven. Bach's music is amazingly complicated and the sheer volume of his output is incredible. There will never be another like him.

As for an underrated band, I would have to go with the bands of Devin Townsend (his solo projects as well as Strapping Young Lad). He's gotten more recognition in the past few years, but not nearly enough. His abilities as a composer, guitarist, vocalist and overall musician are just amazing. Not to mention the vast amount of genres he has crossed and will probably continue to do so.

^^you are right, but i mean... in that circle Bach is god... altought within that circle there is indeed different opinions (well, it's all about opinions)... but i mean in a more "broader perspective/view/sense"...

^I think I know what you're trying to say; that amongst the GENERAL public, if you ask someone who the greatest composer was, they will probably say Beethoven or Mozart and ignore Bach 90% of the time.

jethro tull? underrated, no way, they won the first metal grammy, you can't say its underrated if they won a grammy :lol:, even though it was a joke to the metal community

lol, i remember that. i meant in comparison to music from the 60's-80's, Tull isnt mentioned much.

Not the most underrated, but it still shocks me that Porcupine Tree aren't known by the masses.

As for underrated, on my mind at the moment is Tim Buckley.

Seriously, how many of you know the album "Back to Times of Splendor" by Disillusion?
It slays. Totally.
It's one of the best albums there is in the Prog-Death-Metal genre and it's even probably a strong competitor to (insert favorite Opeth Album here). At least it's one of the only bands that I really feel have accomplished a masterpiece songwriting-wise and very very few seem to have heard of them. However, the most recent release "Gloria" is heavily influenced by industrial metal so I can only recommend BTTOS to anyone as a start. If you like Opeth you very likely won't regret it.