most underrated band ever

ive heard it, its not that great, i regreted listening to it, waste of time

i'm sure i'll get flamed for this

No, I'll just pity you for now ^^

The song "the sleep of restless hours" slays most of opeth's stuff in terms of atmosphere and epicness IMO. But to each his own i guess.

Not the most underrated, but it still shocks me that Porcupine Tree aren't known by the masses.

As for underrated, on my mind at the moment is Tim Buckley.

DEFINITELY agree about Porcupine Tree, although they're slowly starting to catch on. Steven Wilson's a fucking genius, and Gavin Harrison is a FREAK!

Others I'd mention would include King's X and Testament. Yeah, I know a lot of people here also love Testament, but think about it, of all the thrash metal legends, they've had by far the least amount of commercial success. "The Formation of Damnation" fucking OWNS though, so here's hoping they might finally see some of the success that's eluded them over the years. :headbang:

Seriously, how many of you know the album "Back to Times of Splendor" by Disillusion?
It slays. Totally.
It's one of the best albums there is in the Prog-Death-Metal genre and it's even probably a strong competitor to (insert favorite Opeth Album here). At least it's one of the only bands that I really feel have accomplished a masterpiece songwriting-wise and very very few seem to have heard of them. However, the most recent release "Gloria" is heavily influenced by industrial metal so I can only recommend BTTOS to anyone as a start. If you like Opeth you very likely won't regret it.

Bought it after I read this, and I must admit - it really slays!

Seriously, how many of you know the album "Back to Times of Splendor" by Disillusion?
It slays. Totally.
It's one of the best albums there is in the Prog-Death-Metal genre and it's even probably a strong competitor to (insert favorite Opeth Album here). At least it's one of the only bands that I really feel have accomplished a masterpiece songwriting-wise and very very few seem to have heard of them. However, the most recent release "Gloria" is heavily influenced by industrial metal so I can only recommend BTTOS to anyone as a start. If you like Opeth you very likely won't regret it.

qft. A truly excellent band, well on Back To Times Of Splendor they were, don't really like Gloria at all. But BTTOS is, like you say, up there with some of the best Opeth albums.

DEFINITELY agree about Porcupine Tree, although they're slowly starting to catch on. Steven Wilson's a fucking genius, and Gavin Harrison is a FREAK!

Others I'd mention would include King's X and Testament. Yeah, I know a lot of people here also love Testament, but think about it, of all the thrash metal legends, they've had by far the least amount of commercial success. "The Formation of Damnation" fucking OWNS though, so here's hoping they might finally see some of the success that's eluded them over the years. :headbang:

That new Testament album is the lamest thing i've ever heard. I mean, that song on 9/11 is absolutely retarded, made me :erk: hearing it.

That new Testament album is the lamest thing i've ever heard. I mean, that song on 9/11 is absolutely retarded, made me :erk: hearing it.

Judging by the playlists in their bios, Martin M., Per and Fredrik would all vehemently disagree with you. As would everyone else I've seen yet who's reviewed the record. If ignorance is bliss, you must walk around in a state of perpetual orgasm... Still, you're entitled to wallow in your wrongness if you so desire, so please... enjoy!

Judging by the playlists in their bios, Martin M., Per and Fredrik would all vehemently disagree with you. As would everyone else I've seen yet who's reviewed the record. If ignorance is bliss, you must walk around in a state of perpetual orgasm... Still, you're entitled to wallow in your wrongness if you so desire, so please... enjoy!

i havent even heard the album yet, but a song about 9/11=lame country music.

I thought The Blue was their second best after Materia personally. Novembrine Waltz is overrated as far as Novembre goes imo. But yeah they deserve more cred although considering the style of music that won't happen. At least I'd expect more recognition in the metal world.

The Blue it's definetely a good and solid album, but to me it sounds too much like a mix of their previous works... So for their next album i hope something more experimental. It's like Opeth and Ghost Reveries I suppose...

Anyway Zenith is really awesome, and my favourite albums by them are Classica and Dreams D'Azur

i havent even heard the album yet, but a song about 9/11=lame country music.

Well, I've never heard anyone mistake Testament for a country band before, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. So let me get this straight, you're telling me that no band that you've ever listened to ever put out one song you didn't dig the lyrics for?! What are the fucking odds? Not to mention, it is Testament's first studio record since two years before 9/11, so it's not as if they've had a chance before now to address what is beyond question one of the most important historical events of this new century. Just so I'm clear on this, what you're saying/implying is that any song written about an actual historically relevant event is equivalent to "lame country music"? Kinda pompous of you, don'tcha think? Plus, lyrics aside, the groove kicks copious amounts of ass. But still, if you choose to make your decision about it based entirely on your own admitted ignorance of the music on the record, you go right ahead and fly that freak flag high, bro!

Fortunately, there are ten other tracks on the record of some of the tightest, sickest grooves the band has ever laid down, along with some of Skolnick's best lead work ever. Your loss if you choose to pass on it.

Well, I've never heard anyone mistake Testament for a country band before, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. So let me get this straight, you're telling me that no band that you've ever listened to ever put out one song you didn't dig the lyrics for?! What are the fucking odds? Not to mention, it is Testament's first studio record since two years before 9/11, so it's not as if they've had a chance before now to address what is beyond question one of the most important historical events of this new century. Just so I'm clear on this, what you're saying/implying is that any song written about an actual historically relevant event is equivalent to "lame country music"? Kinda pompous of you, don'tcha think? Plus, lyrics aside, the groove kicks copious amounts of ass. But still, if you choose to make your decision about it based entirely on your own admitted ignorance of the music on the record, you go right ahead and fly that freak flag high, bro!

Fortunately, there are ten other tracks on the record of some of the tightest, sickest grooves the band has ever laid down, along with some of Skolnick's best lead work ever. Your loss if you choose to pass on it.

It's not the lyrics, the music is some of the most contrived thrash ever made. It's basically glam with a thrash metal facade. The obviousness of the hooks and forced vocal lines makes me feel incredibly stupid listening to it.

It's not the lyrics, the music is some of the most contrived thrash ever made. It's basically glam with a thrash metal facade. The obviousness of the hooks and forced vocal lines makes me feel incredibly stupid listening to it.

Considering the staggering, pretentious idiocy of the statement you just uttered, I'm guessing you spend a great deal of time feeling that way. Just hazarding another guess here, but you're a Cradle of Filth fan, aren't you?

I knew it... :lol:

Considering the staggering, pretentious idiocy of the statement you just uttered, I'm guessing you spend a great deal of time feeling that way. Just hazarding another guess here, but you're a Cradle of Filth fan, aren't you?

I knew it... :lol:

No, I don't listen to shitty music, that should have been clear by my position on the new Testament.

No, I don't listen to shitty music, that should have been clear by my position on the new Testament.

A position shared by yourself and... well, basically no one else. Dude, being different just to be different is cool, being wrong just to be different is just plain stupid.

P.S. Your myopia is showing...

As for an underrated band, I would have to go with the bands of Devin Townsend (his solo projects as well as Strapping Young Lad). He's gotten more recognition in the past few years, but not nearly enough. His abilities as a composer, guitarist, vocalist and overall musician are just amazing. Not to mention the vast amount of genres he has crossed and will probably continue to do so.
To me, he's a true genius. His work is incredibly diverse...he can write mindblowing epics, catchy pop metal tunes, goosebump-inducing guitar solos and the most wicked experimental stuff. Even his voice is awesome.

I'm sorry for being such a fanboy...I don't know, his music just appeals to me in that very special way no other band's music does. :worship: