Movie tread

Just bought the The Godfather - The Coppola Restoration box today, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how good it will look in this edition, as well as I'm looking forward to the massive amount of extras that are included. Yum!

Ohhhhhh do tell me/us how it is! I've wanted to buy that for some time, and since I'm going to Canada I might as well.

I don't know if there are any Hunter S. Thompson fans out there like I am but...

The Rum Diary is supposed to be out this year. They changed it around a bit, which pisses me off. However, with my favorite actor Johnny Depp and my favorite author's book as the basis of the story, I expect good things.

of all actors for a viking movie why choose pretty boy Leo decaprio? He's no viking nothing close. Mel gibson lost his mind long ago, and hollywood is no trustworthy source for movies anymore.
to all of you naysayers, here's an update!! :kickass:
http://www.bloglingua.com/mel-gibsons-next-movie-to-be-shot-in-old-norse/
the movie will be shot entirely in period languages. That means Leonardo DiCaprio will most likely deliver his lines in Old Norse or perhaps Old English (depending on whether he’s playing a Viking or an inhabitant of a town that is being pillaged by them).
Apparently, for Gibson, the idea of making a Viking movie in Old Norse isn’t a new idea. He told Collider.com that “The very first idea I ever had about making a film…my first thought about ever being a filmmaker was when I was sixteen years old and I wanted to make a Viking movie. And I wanted to make it in Old Norse.”
Now i'm really excited!! I have a good feeling about this, i hope it will be the best viking movie ever made! It sounds like Mel intends to make one of his old time dreams come true, and that might just be the right motivation for creating a masterpiece! i'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one! :kickass:

Mel likes to try and keep things authentic so we'll see. I know Mel has the potential to make a good film, I just don't like his choice for the actors so far. I do give props to Leo for donating $1,000,000 to the Haiti disaster.

I saw Avatar some weeks ago. It looks fantastic, the landspaces and characters are very well designed. The story is very typical, alas Pocahontas + El Ultimo Mohicano, very very predictable, almost for kids but the visual experience is great.

About viking movies, I've never seen one worthy of mention. Gibson has made some good movies, but Di Caprio is not what comes to my mind when I think about vikings.

Yesterday I saw Oldboy, by Chan-wook Park. One of the best movies about vengeance I've seen in my life. Very well done in all aspects, specially the way emotions are shown. The acting is really well done too.

Yesterday I saw Oldboy, by Chan-wook Park. One of the best movies about vengeance I've seen in my life. Very well done in all aspects, specially the way emotions are shown. The acting is really well done too.
The whole trilogy is excellent. Oldboy is still the best out of the three though.

Saw some J-horror flicks in the past couple of weeks. I loved 'Noroi', enjoyed 'Ôdishon'. 'Chakushin ari', 'Kairo' and 'Yogen' were so-so, not bad, not really great either.

In the past days I've seen the excellent following movies:

los-abrazos-rotos11.jpeg

humanfactorinvictus.jpg

la_confidential.jpg

Los abrazos rotos (Broken Embraces), Invictus, and L.A. Confidential.

These are all exceptional films, and I recommend watching them. Invictus has a great message (tolerance, something much needed nowadays). Los abrazos rotos is kind of a suspense/romance movie, but very human. As with the former, it helps you appreciate that 'you're OK' and 'love'. L.A. Confidential is a great detective movie, which I've been wanting to see since it came out :p . Finally, one more wish fulfilled!

Incidentally, here's the Invictus poem from William Ernest Henley to you:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.​

watching Swordfish on tv right now: there are so few good action movies, how come i've never seen this one? o_O it's pretty cool! :kickass: i hate Travolta, but Hugh Jackman is sooooo hot :tickled: *drool drool* though maybe not too convincing as a computer nerd, but oh well... great effects, the story is quite interesting too, wondering how it's going to end now...

I recently saw Chilean Gothic; a Chilean horror film based around the H.P. Lovecraft story Pickman's Model. It wasn't a big film in any way, budget was probably quite low and so on, but it had a very good atmosphere, and I must say one of the few good film-adaptations of a Lovecraft story I have seen.
I saw it on DVD, it was part four of a series of five films called The H.P. Lovecraft Collection. I haven't seen part five yet, but so far it stands out, together with part one, as best in the series. A definite recommendation if you're into HPL, as all DVD's feature not only the main film, but a number of shortfilms and other interesting material as well.