Movies/series thread

Ayush, it's a blockbuster science FICTION Hollywood movie, it never claimed to be scientific accurate. The response it got was not because of the details, but more because some of the "modern" or at least new interpretations of existing theories, that were used in the movie, such as the relation between time, space and gravity. Like time being a 4th coordinate in our 3 dimensional space, which allowed Cooper to move physically back in time inside that "cube" by the end of the movie. Which according to guys like Neil Degrasse Tyson and Dr. Michio Kaku is a "scientifically sound" THEORY. So i still fail to see how it's overrated since its the first movie i see that deals with that.

Dude, fucking Nolan went on and on about how the movie was as accurate as our current understanding of science allowed it to be...
Example :

but then in the movie "love transcends dimensions and time" ...wtf?

I understand time-space and gravity well enough to understand exactly what they were going for in the movie, but it's less science and more fiction.

Neil DeGrasse, when cornered for an explanation said that "we don't know what happens inside a black hole" so they put that pathetic deus ex machina ending there.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was a good movie. period. :p

For me, it was worth the time I invested watching it, decent entertainment value. But between people claiming how scientifically accurate and complex it is, people bragging about how they could understand the movie (unlike most other people) and it being hailed as the spiritual successor of 2001 A space odyssey as one of the all time great science fiction films, I had really high expectations and I was VERY disappointed.

For me, it was worth the time I invested watching it, decent entertainment value. But between people claiming how scientifically accurate and complex it is, people bragging about how they could understand the movie (unlike most other people) and it being hailed as the spiritual successor of 2001 A space odyssey as one of the all time great science fiction films, I had really high expectations and I was VERY disappointed.

I agree with everything except the last 2 words. I had high expectations, but doesn't really even get into my top 10, despite that, it is still a good movie imo.

it was a good movie. period. :p

Agreed. If you go for the scientific accuracy in any movie, you'll always be disappointed...

2001... Now THAT is an overrated movie :lol:

Edit: omgz post jump

very excited about Mad Max, great cast, great cinematography. Very few CGI, lots of live stunts.

Agreed. If you go for the scientific accuracy in any movie, you'll always be disappointed...

I went for scientific accuracy because I was promised scientific accuracy.

I liked Gravity, for example. The science in that movie is all over the place. I was promised great visuals and I got great visuals.

^Oh yeah absolutely. Great visuals all around, and that goes for Interstellar too. However I just do not think that wanting science from a movie is a great way to watch them. It's entertainment, not school

^Oh yeah absolutely. Great visuals all around, and that goes for Interstellar too. However I just do not think that wanting science from a movie is a great way to watch them. It's entertainment, not school

Like I said, it wasn't what I "wanted" from the movie but that's how the film was projected, which caused a huge void between expectations and reality. I wasn't expecting the film to teach me anything, obviously (it's not school, like you said), but the large number of obvious scientific goofs rustled my jimmies.

It's like if I were to tell you that XYZ is a great horror movie that will scare the daylights out of you, but you find out that it was barely even scary. Sure it may have had a great plot, character development and cool visuals, but you didn't get what you were promised.

Having said that, I agree about the visuals. The CGI was pretty well done for the most part.

so what have we learned from that? don't watch trailers etc and just go see the damn movie and it will only have your own expectations to live up to :) i barely heard anything regarding interstellar before i watched besides people saying it was good or bad really

Like I said, it wasn't what I "wanted" from the movie but that's how the film was projected, which caused a huge void between expectations and reality. I wasn't expecting the film to teach me anything, obviously (it's not school, like you said), but the large number of obvious scientific goofs rustled my jimmies.

It's like if I were to tell you that XYZ is a great horror movie that will scare the daylights out of you, but you find out that it was barely even scary. Sure it may have had a great plot, character development and cool visuals, but you didn't get what you were promised.

Having said that, I agree about the visuals. The CGI was pretty well done for the most part.

Ah, I didn't get that :p

I totally agree with you, because:

so what have we learned from that? don't watch trailers etc and just go see the damn movie and it will only have your own expectations to live up to :) i barely heard anything regarding interstellar before i watched besides people saying it was good or bad really

Yes, movie trailers are the bane of our existence. Most of them reveal way too much plot too - kind of like they take 5 seconds from every 10 minutes in the movie and we get to see the whole idea and sometimes even the fucking twists and such. I watch a teaser trailer at the most, and usually that's enough to know if I want to watch the movie :)

trailers have become utterly ridiculous lately. as you say, they even show plot twists etc in them. i've seen many trailers before movies on cinemas etc, and at first you go like "ooh, this looks promising!" and after 2 minutes you're like "well, now i've seen this movie"

trailers have become utterly ridiculous lately. as you say, they even show plot twists etc in them. i've seen many trailers before movies on cinemas etc, and at first you go like "ooh, this looks promising!" and after 2 minutes you're like "well, now i've seen this movie"

my thoughts exactly

I don't know man they have always been like that. Ever watch a trailer for a 70's or 80's movie? The dude that says "In a world..." narrates the entire story line and shows key moments and plot points, and even spoilers.

Just because it's the first thing that comes to mind I will use the Predator trailer as my example. One of the most important parts of Predator is that the creature is invisible and no one knows what the hell it is. When you finally get to see the Predator it's supposed to be this big reveal of an awesome monster. The trailer not only shows you the Predator, it shows you who gets killed and how, and even shows the final battle. A hell of a lot of older trailers do this. At least now trailers have some sense of editing and quick cuts and what should remain secret.

I don't know man they have always been like that. Ever watch a trailer for a 70's or 80's movie? The dude that says "In a world..." narrates the entire story line and shows key moments and plot points, and even spoilers.

Just because it's the first thing that comes to mind I'll use the Predator trailer as my example. One of the most important parts of Predator is that the creature is invisible and no one knows what the hell it is. When you finally get to see the Predator it's supposed to be this big reveal of an awesome monster. The trailer not only shows you the Predator, it shows you who gets killed and how, and even shows the final battle. A hell of a lot of older trailers do this. At least now trailers have some sense of editing and quick cuts and what should remain secret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1txEAywdiw

Good point, that trailer gives way too much away.

That said, in regards to Predator specifically, they probably couldn't help themselves; did you ever see what the original suit looked like?

I have seen it and it was glorious. I can't imagine how horrible Predator would have been with Jean-Claude Van Damme trying to perform a ninja assault on a bunch of Green Berets, while wearing a crazy lobster suit.

I have seen it and it was glorious. I can't imagine how horrible Predator would have been with Jean-Claude Van Damme trying to perform a ninja assault on a bunch of Green Berets, while wearing a crazy lobster suit.

:lol:

It would've been comically bad – instant-cult-favorite bad – and I imagine the inevitable MST3K take on it would have been glorious.

So after watching the first 4 episodes of GoT season 5 I must say that I am extremely disappointed. This season seems very rushed and it's like they are ignoring the 4th book entirely. :(