Music with a similar sound to Opeth's "Damnation"?

Ken's recommendations for acoustic stuff are good. that Antimatter album kicks major arse. You might want to try Nick Drake's moodier stuff. You might not like it, but it's some of the best acoustic stuff going :)

Kenneth R. said:
Antimatter - Planetary Confinement.
Ulver - Kveldssanger

+ 2 especillay to Kveldssanger

If you like Planetary Confinement you might check out Clann ZU - Black Coats & Bandages. Its more up beat and jazzy in places, but it's fuelled by the same emotions.

Jude said:
This is kind of the opposite question, but I'm in a really acousticy mood. What's some music that's similar to the acoustic parts of Opeth songs NOT on Damnation...i.e. their older acoustic sections? Classical, folk, instrumental, all that. Preferably not as part of metal albums. Thanks for any suggestions.

When Day Descends - Transcend

Thanks for the acoustic recommendations...although I already have the majority of that stuff and dig it. Anythign else?

NineFeetUnderground said:
ill give you several bands which all sound very similar to damnation and did/could have very possibly influenced the album at least indirectly.

Gandalf - Self titled (not the metal gandalf)
Extradition - Hush
Ragnarok - Selt titled (not the metal ragnarok)
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
Anekdoten - Gravity
Cressida - Asylum
T2 - Itll All Work Out In Boomland
Spring - Self Titled
Mr. Toad - Trench Art
National Health - Self Titled
Nick Drake - ANY
Gilgamesh - Self Titled

Well then.. ive only heard linda perhacs and nick drake, so i cant disagree with any of those mentionings. I've heard a lot about anekdoten, are they good? As a nick drake expert, i disagree with the comparisons.

BurningSky said:
Well then.. ive only heard linda perhacs and nick drake, so i cant disagree with any of those mentionings. I've heard a lot about anekdoten, are they good? As a nick drake expert, i disagree with the comparisons.

as a music expert i disagree with your ability to disagree. la-dee-da

Liquid Diamonds said:
Ok, I might get flamed for this, but I was thinking about it. While there are no real surface similarities, if you want a record with softer songs that are expansive, interesting, progressive and melodic, where the musicianship is top-notch, there is a band feel, and there are floods of emotion, you could always try 'From The Choirgirl Hotel' by Tori Amos.

Trust me, you won't regret it :)

lovely recommendation. anything by amos actually would fit into this space, you know. try "scarlet's walk" too. it is not the same atmosphere as damnation but it is really possible that he/she will like tori amos, too.

Don Corleone said:
lovely recommendation. anything by amos actually would fit into this space, you know. try "scarlet's walk" too. it is not the same atmosphere as damnation but it is really possible that he/she will like tori amos, too.

'Scarlets Walk' is the other one I thought of when the guy asked for stuff similar to Damnation. All of her albums are awe-inspiring (except 'The Beekeeper', which is merely good), but these two probably fit the bill best. they have a slightly proggier atmosphere, and they're a little more like a band as opposed to a solo artist. My favourite Tori album is 'Under The Pink' though. 'Icicle' is probably the best song I ever heard.

Seriously, I urge everybody here to check out Tori if they haven't already. She's simply a phenomenon of great, innovative songwriting.

headbanger1547 said:
I love Damnation, and currently I'm trying to explore music that's similar to that. If anyone has any recommendations, be it band, album, or song, please let me know.
I listen to it when I have trouble falling to sleep. The songs are like eight pills of valium.

Fans of Tori Amos should definitely check out "The Kick Inside" by Kate Bush. All her albums are great but that is a good introduction, being probably the most accessible and melodic. It likely also influenced Amos greatly. Personally I prefer Kate over Tori.

annt said:
Fans of Tori Amos should definitely check out "The Kick Inside" by Kate Bush. All her albums are great but that is a good introduction, being probably the most accessible and melodic. It likely also influenced Amos greatly. Personally I prefer Kate over Tori.

A lot of people do. I just don't get why. But if that's your preference, ten cool :)

The only Kate Bush album I really love is the new one. It's awesome!