Musicians that alone slay Opeth

but his name is so similar to mine! and some of those were tongue in cheek! actually nah they werent

1. who cares how much people contribute, not everyone has to. i'll admit, i contribute shit to the forum, but i have a good time here, so that's all that counts. for me anyway.

2. oinkness/prof STFU (i know prof didn't post in this thread haha)

Stimuli said:
frankly, you can praise Jeff Buckley all you want on this board and I don't care... I don't like people who are super anal about little forum rules...

but I so agree with Spigot about the fact that Jeff Buckley is about 20% of what Opeth is... he has a great voive, and Grace especially is just phenomenal... and he is defenitly better than Jack Johnson...but he's just another dude singing little DITTY's about love and losing love...

Progressive music, eternally > than non-progressive music... its as simple as that...

bands that musically and compositionally slay Opeth (Doesn't mean I like them more)

Return to Forever - Al Di Meola on guitar, Chick Corea on the piano/keyboards, Lenny White on percussions. friggin amazing jazz rock...

Liquid Tension Experiment - probably the most talented band ever... Dream Theater without Labrie (or vocals) and the great Tony Levin on bass... perhaps some of the most amazing virtuoso prog- rock/metal music ever...

Steve Vai (and his band) - possibly the only band that surpasses LTE (maybe)...Tony Macalpine and Billy Sheehan are already an unstoppable team. throw in Steve Vai - the only true "god" in music left and you have a band that everyone must here... check out...

Tender Surrender
For the Love of God
The Animal
Fire Garden Suite
Lotus Feet
Whispering A Prayer
Brando's Costumes (Gentle Ways)

there is a huge list everyone should check out... Steve Vai not only is the greatest guitarist to ever live, but also one of the greatest composers... he is trully on some beethoven shit...

you just might be the most ignorant and presumptuous person on this forum.

just so you know.

Looking for a Job said:
limp3.jpg

^this guy is a better composer than steve vai

who is that? he's probably not better than vai anyway...

I believe thats the dude from limp bizkit...

i might be the most ignorant poster on this forum??? i dont see why... because I said Buckley writes love songs (hey i haven't heard all his stuff. I'm sorry if he goes deeper than what i mentioned)??? Or because I said progressive music is better than Jeff Buckley??? Or becuase I like Steve Vai???

any by the way... Steve Vai IS the best composer in the world of rock/pop/modern music... dont care if you guys hate me for saying it...

you are correct... it is just my opinion...

BTW... when I compared STeve Vai to Beethoven I was referring to the fact that Vai can hear an entire song's melody note for note inside his head and instantly transpose it to guitar or piano... Vai can even harmonize notes in his head with perfect pitch, and pretty much instantly recreate it on an instrument... I dont know too many people who can do that, and this is where the comparison to beethoven came from... I'm sorry if i got someone's panties all in a knot...

and remember guys... you might think that Jeff Buckley is a fantastic lyricist and songwriter... but to the best of my knowledge his stuff is nothing musically astounding... not that thats the only thing that matters, its just that we are talking about bands that are musically superior to Opeth...

dsiclaimer: by saying that I'm not saying Jeff Buckey does not sound good or is not musically talented...

paganini during a concert broke a string, he carried on, broke another string, carried on and broke his third string and still carried on playing everything on the g-string. That requires much headthinking ala vai. What you talk about harmonizing in the head and stuff is to do with relative pitch. Only a few people have perfect pitch (hear a not and know exactly what it is) but relative pitch can be developed, what is described about vai and is applicable to beethoven is realtive pitch, a developable trait.

I am aware of relative pitch... I hope to develope mine to a such a high degree in the future... however... to be able to hear a melody in your head and to be able to instantly recreate it would be perfect pitch would it not??? I'm saying this because you would have to identify the exact note in your head before playing... and you would also have to pick the right octave... therefore, to be able to that quickly with out to much thinking seems like perfect pitch to me... do you agree???

I see what your saying about harmonizing though... since you already have a note as a referance point....

EDIT: one more thing...perhaps even if Vai does not have perfect pitch I would argue he still has one of the most amazing ears for music I've whitnessed in my lifetime...

how do YOU know^

stimuli: i wasnt aware you knew about relative pitch so i was telling you, but yes i agree vai DOES have a very good ear for music.

I currently have dictation lessons once a week and it is this. Teacher plays piec eon piano with chords, 4 part, rhythms and i write it down. It isnt that difficult once you get used to it. Occasionaly she does a long complex single line melody and i find those easy, the rhythm is much trickier but melodies are relativly easy to remember. The thing is practice and practice. Perhaps if you use a tab programme, get someone to write out a 4 bar motif and then playback and you can try with that, i can guarantee that will help your relative pitch tenfold :)

yes it would take perfect pitch to re-create a melody heard, but not to recreate the melodic line, once you know one note though perfect pitch becomes no advantage

I see what your saying... the perfect pitch would be used to just find the source of the melodic line... Those seem like pretty interesting lessons... I have yet to truly train my ear beyond just identifying keys, tuning by ear and maybe coping an idea or two from songs... I actually did that for a while with my guitar instructor with Gary Moore stuff... he's pretty easy to figure out...but you defenitly seem to be fruther on up the road than myself...

I will defenitly try that chord dictation excercise, thats something I've never done...

I dont know too many people who can do that

Daniel Gildenlöw. He even could do that in school, imagine how his fellow students always called him a pretentious ***ker.

its just that we are talking about bands that are musically superior to Opeth...

Yeah, Vai has more talent when it comes to playing teh guiatar than Buckley but Buckley mroe than compensates it with his vocal techniques.

My biggest problem with Vai....is that if he is truly as proficient, and understands the instrument, and can play as well as everyone boasts. then why the FUCK, doesnt he write something that doesnt put me to sleep within the first 15 seconds?

answer me that...

Indeed, Jeff Buckley is a tremendous singer...

I've listened to Grace and this two disc white "legacy edition" cd at work... A lot of great singers come to mind that have been inspired by his work (Chris Martin and Thom Yorke come to mind)...

not to sound like a fanboy now... but I must also add that Steve Vai is quite a singer in his own right... his new album and his jimi hendrix covers are great examples...

EDIT:Vai just might not be your taste if it puts you to sleep in 15 seconds...I don't expect everyone to like him... but I'm surprised that you say that... what songs have you heard??? I could name so many mindblowing songs that keep my attention the whole way through...

Stimuli said:
Indeed, Jeff Buckley is a tremendous singer...

I've listened to Grace and this two disc white "legacy edition" cd at work... A lot of great singers come to mind that have been inspired by his work (Chris Martin and Thom Yorke come to mind)...

not to sound like a fanboy now... but I must also add that Steve Vai is quite a singer in his own right... his new album and his jimi hendrix covers are great examples...

EDIT:Vai just might not be your taste if it puts you to sleep in 15 seconds...I don't expect everyone to like him... but I'm surprised that you say that... what songs have you heard??? I could name so many mindblowing songs that keep my attention the whole way through...

ive heard everyone of his albums. i bought them all since when i got into guitar everyone and their dog said how mindblowing he was, so i never thought twice about buying up his catalog. upon listening...i never trust was people say without hearing something first now. =/

That's cool man... at least you've heard something like For the Love of God... and even his less popular stuff...I guess we just have differing tastes in music...

Opeth is good.

stimuli:

The main problem is getting someone to do it for you. When you cant then listen to something with a single melodic line (darkthrone maybe) and follow the melodic line. Then, knowing the starting note and key copy down the melody and doing htis over and over gets you used to hearing the intervals, first thing before listening to chords is listening and recognising intervals so when someone plays one note then another you can say immediately without working it out what interval it is.

Then you need to know cadences and the main ones; perfect, imperfect, plagal and interrupted, then at the end of passages assign the melody the correct cadence (is the key is c minor and the last two notes are G and C then it is a perfect cadence)

Next try two part melodies, this is good for hearing what two note chords sound like, you will be able to indentify 3rds 5ths 6ths and so on.

Now try four part (bass tenor alto soprano). At first use all chords in root positions and listen to the root note first to work out the chord, then you can work the rest out from the triad....again, asign cadences to these passages based on the bass note.

now try four part using inversions so if you have key Cminor and a G in the base it could be chord V or chord Ic (chord one, third inversion)

if you want anymore help or dont understand at any point then im more than happy to help :)