Musicians that alone slay Opeth

Longinus

excerpt guy
Jul 3, 2004
Woo, I thought Daniel Gildenlöw is the shit (and he probably still is in most departments) but he certainly never succeeded in almost making me puke due to the awesomeness of a song of his.

The guy who did that is the awesome, awesome, dead Jeff Buckley. This guy has an enormous vocal range and has mastered all kinds of vocal styles (except growls I guess). If you listen to him, it's like your grandfather tells a story how he survived world war II. The music isn't overly complex or something, it's more like a very moody version of Jack Johnson with extremely good vocals. He even had the looks going for him! He was also playing several instruments, including drums, bass and sax and guitar of course.

Oh my god. Now while listening to Opeth, I am close to forget them completely - I have never heard such addictive music. The song "opened once" which is just a premix is like coke with cocaine. So addictive. You always want to hear his choruses again and the guitarwork - simply outstanding. if you want Opeth songs that are similar, they are the bonus tracks on BWP. He always did songs like that (but still very different..hard to explain) but they were all pretty diverse and way more interesting than PITI 2 & SDBTS (even though they too are very awesome).
A shame he died. This being a rather open minded board, I urge you to forget your opinion on me as a person for a second and check him out if you can. I bet half of you will someday like him more than Opeth. I recommend the songs "Grace"; "Everybody here wants you", Mojo Pin", and "So real". Buy them on itunes or something and if you like him (and Im sure a lot of you will) I would recommend buying his debut album "Grace" and "Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk". Now I go back to the toilet and listen to more Jeff Buckley. God, if there's one reason to die, it's him!

Forget my opinion of you? Well, it IS true that you've been less annoying lately...even though thats been compensated for by much of the rest of the board being more annoying...and i have heard alot about Jeff Buckley....but unfortunately you compared him to Jack Johnson, who i despise, so no sale sorry.

ps. Coke was originally made with Cocaine.

I know it was, hence I used that example.

Dude, the comparison is just on a very shallow level. The vocals are way better, the lyrics are better and arent as happy as his, the guiarwork is on a whole nother level. It's just that both are guys with guitars basically and get a lot of chicks. It's a weak comparin like Per Wiberg and Beethoven are the same, okay?

I will check him out. Are his cd's readily avialable and what decade was he big in. What is a good album to start with? Although I know how we all have our certian "favorite" album. I have heard the name but know nothing more about him. I may infact like him more than opeth, I find myself getting bored almost completely with metal nowdays. Give me good prog or folk instead.

I'm trying to find some of his work, but I can't get a hold of any. The way you describe his music in your post makes me extremely interested in hearing him. I will continue my search.

I dont know of the availabiltiy in music stores but i tunes and some other songs should have his sogns en masse. He was semi big in the ninties, he was the rival or rufus wainwright but to me, Wainwright is a joke compared to him. Grace went gold in soem countries. He was twice as big as opeth are now. if you want more information, send me a PM. You may also have heard his infamous cover of "Hallelujah", which is actually his mmost famous song and considered to be the best version of Hallelujah.

jeff buckley is indeed on of greatest singers alltime. I really love Grace. there's superb songs and kickass production. I Love Big sounding drums on it and everything in it...so what i can say. iam a fanboy.
Andy Wallace did excellent job on that album.

Well.. I've been planning to check him out for a long time. Considering that there is a Jeff Buckley live double-album a handreach from where I sit when I'm on the computer in my own room and I still haven't listened to it - I suck.
My brother has about 150 cd's stashed in my room (which used to be his room), cause he's studying in Australia, and the Jeff Buckley cd stands out in the shelve like a white double-album among lots of regular cd's. He's been home for 6 months now though, but he's leaving again tomorrow.

Ehh.. Anyways, I found Grace in my brother's other cd-collection (in his current room), so I'm going to burn one for myself and listen to it when I go to sleep. I'm a tad sceptical to get my first impression from a live album (I'm sure it's great though).

:loco:

Pardon my ignorance, who is Alban Berg?

Yeah, be your husband is a great live opener. You will enjoy that live album! i have several live performances and he shines on everyone. It's amazing.

Al DiMeola... but then again, 5 against 1 isn't fair.
That is kinda the point. I mean, to be honest, Opeth as a whole has more talent than Buckley but he has more than any member of opeth, though Mikael comes close.

Another great thing about Buckley is, that he doesnt do falsetto when sining high ntoes. He has a great vocal technique.

Edit: berg is a classical composer, I see. Weill I guess classical composers and Gildenlöw are a given, reply with a more modern musician pelase :p

i didnt know that musicians that have more 'talent' than all the members in opeth (not combined) count too. i would say both david gilmour and roger waters then (both pink floyd) but i am a pf-fanboy so it might not count. robert fripp is in here too (king crimson).

Weill I guess classical composers and Gildenlöw are a given
what do you mean by that?

i think classical composers should count here too...they are still musicians ^^. for anyone who might consider checking out alban berg, i highly recommend his violin concerto called 'dem andenken eines engels' or 'to the memory of an angel'. it's awesome. the piece of music that impressed me the most among all the stuff i've ever heard.

it's obvious that those guys are better composers than Buckley, Akerfeldt and all the others but it's hard to compare them, since they weren't all multi instrumentalists (I believe) and no outstanding lyricists or vocalists. And I dont know whether Buckley could compose stuff for a 20 piece orchestra.

To clarify, I was exagerrating when i implied buckley slayed Opeth as a whole. Maybe I should have madet he thread title "musicians that alone slay Mikael"? And then, classical composers obviously do. Though, thus far, I havent found any emotional rollercoasters in Buckley's music like those found on The Moor.

ah, ok. it depends, i mean 'slays' doesnt mean anything concrete. it's all a matter of appreciation. if you would compare a classical trained composer with opeth by the standards of music theory he would win all the way - but music isnt made by music theory...and therefore i can easily say that opeth slay mozart or johann strauss. of course that's all opinion but in terms of appreciation i can compare a classical composer to a rock (in its broadest sense) musician.

if you like some semi modern, pantonal music, you should check out 'dem andenken eines engels' anyway... :)

if you don't care it's not all that bad either...i can just resume from my life that exploring classical music gave me so much that i wouldnt want to ever miss it again...

"slaying" is always a subjective matter and i merely asked for opinions but these opininos should be mixed with some objective talent which would be the music theory thing or vocal techniques.