Musician's thread

Why not take some lessons? That's what I did when I played drums.

I'm a pianist by trade, have been playing basically my whole life. Was on track to major in piano/organ performance but then realized the income potential in that is about 5 dollars per year.

Mathiäs;10989834 said:
Why not take some lessons? That's what I did when I played drums.

I'm a pianist by trade, have been playing basically my whole life. Was on track to major in piano/organ performance but then realized the income potential in that is about 5 dollars per year.

Not if you play the organ at sporting events. :p

That would actually be a pretty cool job.

Got no drums.

When I get a new place with the space:
D70_5224.jpg

I have two 22" kick drums but I'm only using one because learning on two is more difficult. I also need a new hi-hat stand because the one I have is wonky.

drumstick?
I'm using wood and it's working fine, been with me for years, the one pair. Never used plastic.

Got this?
71R5I9lc5CL._SY355_.jpg

When I played I wanted to try but couldn't find any to buy.
Went thru a couple of musicstores but they just looked at me funny, like they never heard of such a thing.
Some brushes are telescoping, so that the bristles can be pulled inside a hollow handle and the fan made by the bristles can be of variable length. Must change the sound they make, I think.
Jazz-Drum-Brush-Telescopic-W-Rubber-handles-nylon-brushes-perfect-balance-Set.jpg

drumstick?
I'm using wood and it's working fine, been with me for years, the one pair. Never used plastic.

Got this?
71R5I9lc5CL._SY355_.jpg

When I played I wanted to try but couldn't find any to buy.
Went thru a couple of musicstores but they just looked at me funny, like they never heard of such a thing.
Some brushes are telescoping, so that the bristles can be pulled inside a hollow handle and the fan made by the bristles can be of variable length. Must change the sound they make, I think.
Jazz-Drum-Brush-Telescopic-W-Rubber-handles-nylon-brushes-perfect-balance-Set.jpg

I've tried three different drumsticks so far from Vic Firth and I like the SD10 Swinger the best. Theres another, thinner version with the rock maple, but I like something I can grip better in a thicker variety stick. I do practice on all three types though.

The other is a 2B, but is hickory. It is nice, but the texture sometimes bothers me.

I've had a variety of guitars over the years...crappy starter guitar, don't remember anything about it besides that it was red. Then I had a Gibson Explorer. Then I got a Jackson Soloist SL2H.

After playing for a while with all those, I came to the conclusion that I am a terrible guitar player and sold everything.

The only thing I miss is jamming to the sound of Sanctum - Raped of your Religion!

When it comes to drums I really like having small kits. It's easier as fuck to take with you to gigs. 2 Toms, Kick, Snare, 2 Crash and one Ride. All ya'll need.

Getting really tired of playing punkrock. I need metal, god dammit!

:lol: I know that feeling. A year ago before I joined Peccant I was only playing bass in a jam band. It was and is still fun as fuck, but I needed something heavier.

Then some guys I kinda knew wanted to form a crust/grind band and needed a bass player so I hopped on board for that and recently our guitar player left, so I'm back to playing guitar again which feels really fucking good. I plan to do everything I can to sneak as much black metal into our sound as possible :lol:

It's been a good 3 years since I've picked up my guitar and played more than just a few riffs here and there. After our last jam session I do believe I have shaken off quite a bit of dust and I feel that playing bass has helped me stretch and strengthen my fingers.

Does anyone else here feel that they play better after taking a long break from playing?

I may be contributing some verses to a buddy's rap project. If it takes off I may make some beats and do my own songs. I'm excited.

Does anyone else here feel that they play better after taking a long break from playing?

I usually feel really inspired for a few weeks and play/record loads, then get completely burned out and do fuck all for a few, and when I go back to playing/recording again everything usually seems better.

Also, after 2 week holidays with no guitar everything always feels great.

So, yeah.

When it comes to drums I really like having small kits. It's easier as fuck to take with you to gigs. 2 Toms, Kick, Snare, 2 Crash and one Ride. All ya'll need.

Was thinking that - playing in a band and having to carry around a massive drum-kit.
But just can't stand electronic drums.

elec-drums-mesh.jpg

David "Dave" Lombardo behind that - could you imagine?