Musician's thread

I tried 2B, SD10 and SD4 and there was something off. I picked up some Vater Fatback 3A and I'm not going back.

Need to find some decent tape though.

I have not played guitar in awile, but am going out of town in a few weeks and am going to have around a grand and am pretty sure there is a guitar shop where I am going. So am going to buy a new electric guitar and a combo amp and start from there, the only gear I have is an Ampeg VH-140c head which I gave my dad to hold on too. And some disto pedals. If I enjoy it and progress will get a 2x12 cab. I just like to fuck around on it and do not take it all that serious. It is fun for me. I have fucked around on a few acoustic guitars here and there and am pretty sure should be playing.

Why can't you do music alone?

I like getting home drunk and fucking around on guitar and trying to stick songs together.

Did this last night

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/keros-uk/i-2/[/soundcloud]

Hi.
I'm Sohail. i've been listening to metal for 10 to 12 years but have never tried to find out what's under the hood(or behind the scenes if you prefer). i know music theory, i've composed a lot of music in genres such as trance and house and also symphonic music. but nothing like metal(i guess).
i know theory is theory and basics are the same no matter what genre but i think there are some exclusive stuff regarding metal music like using special kinds of scales,modes and chords(maybe better to say special kinda "music theory" and there are also times that there's no theory as it's used in classical music for example), specific guitar playing techniques, drum stuff, working with amps, cabs, pedals etc, and all the way up to maybe VSTs, effects and mixing and mastering techniques.
i'm interested to start learning to compose metal music so i'm more interested in learning first about its theory(scales, chords, even notes etc) and also about how do they program their amps(also other hardware and software stuff)so they make that bone crushing sound out of electric guitars(really interested in knowing about this too)?
where do you think i should start from considering i know classical music theory pretty well?

thank you.

Any bass players here have any tips for developing a good beginners right hand technique?

Hi.
I'm Sohail. i've been listening to metal for 10 to 12 years but have never tried to find out what's under the hood(or behind the scenes if you prefer). i know music theory, i've composed a lot of music in genres such as trance and house and also symphonic music. but nothing like metal(i guess).
i know theory is theory and basics are the same no matter what genre but i think there are some exclusive stuff regarding metal music like using special kinds of scales,modes and chords(maybe better to say special kinda "music theory" and there are also times that there's no theory as it's used in classical music for example), specific guitar playing techniques, drum stuff, working with amps, cabs, pedals etc, and all the way up to maybe VSTs, effects and mixing and mastering techniques.
i'm interested to start learning to compose metal music so i'm more interested in learning first about its theory(scales, chords, even notes etc) and also about how do they program their amps(also other hardware and software stuff)so they make that bone crushing sound out of electric guitars(really interested in knowing about this too)?
where do you think i should start from considering i know classical music theory pretty well?

thank you.

It depends on what you would like to play. Most metal doesn't require theory to write. It's useful for harmonizing and knowing where on the fretboard you need to play solos, but you won't have to worry about counterpoint. Chord progressions could be useful, but the dissonant stuff doesn't abide by common practice progressions. Most metal is composed by just jamming out riffs and stringing together what sounds good. That's probably the best place to start. Then you can use your knowledge of theory to make the most of it. In terms of scales, the whole tone and octotonic scales can be used to write some pretty neat sounding riffs.

I have not played a guitar in a few years. I wanted to get back into it so I went to guitar center, prices are a lot cheaper probably because it is not a random music shop. I bought an ESP guitar for really cheap and a small peavey practice amp. A tuner, 2 cables and strings and only spend 300 bucks. I did not want to spend a lot. I do have Jackson guitar which I do not want to get into about. My dad is going to bring over my Ampeg head and my pedals at somepoint. Ofcourse I do not have any use for a head right now because do not have a cab, but it is not a big deal. I'm just going to see how it goes and just practice on and off.

Any advanced guitar players use a bass pick? As an amateur I'm finding it much easier to learn either fingerpickin or one of those on my acoustic. But, if its something that's just easier for now and will eventually prove harder, or limit me in some way, I'll stomach the normal picks.

Any advanced guitar players use a bass pick? As an amateur I'm finding it much easier to learn either fingerpickin or one of those on my acoustic. But, if its something that's just easier for now and will eventually prove harder, or limit me in some way, I'll stomach the normal picks.

I play guitar and used a pick when playing bass for my old band, Black Orifice. For the most part, you should play finger-style on the bass. It just sounds better. I used a pick with Black Orifice because of the sound we were going for. The intent in writing music was to make it sound as dissonant and aggressive as possible and playing with a pick suited this purpose. The music was influenced mostly by 20th century classical music. On bass, I attempted to immitate Bartok pizzicato nearly constantly, which is impossible when playing extremely fast sections. So I used a pick and beat the shit out of my bass. I used a metal pick for recordings to give an extra aggressive edge to the sound and a Dunlop Ultex pick for practice, so to not shred expensive bass strings.

I play guitar and used a pick when playing bass for my old band, Black Orifice. For the most part, you should play finger-style on the bass. It just sounds better. I used a pick with Black Orifice because of the sound we were going for. The intent in writing music was to make it sound as dissonant and aggressive as possible and playing with a pick suited this purpose. The music was influenced mostly by 20th century classical music. On bass, I attempted to immitate Bartok pizzicato nearly constantly, which is impossible when playing extremely fast sections. So I used a pick and beat the shit out of my bass. I used a metal pick for recordings to give an extra aggressive edge to the sound and a Dunlop Ultex pick for practice, so to not shred expensive bass strings.

To clarify, I'm using a a bass thumb pick on a resonator acoustic guitar. Its easier... Again, newly learning. But if it will eventually prove problematic somehow, like limit the flourishing and dexterity I'd like, I'll switch to a regular pick. My goals in the long run are to gain at least a decent footing in percussive playing, flamenco and whatnot. I'd hate to learn wrong then have to relearn with a regular pick.

Gotcha. If that's the case, then you should grow out your fingernails and pick up a classical guitar. If really want to use a pick, drop the bass thumb pick thing. It's a bad habit that will be more difficult to drop later on, and you'll be without proficiency with a regular pick or finger style.