Musician's thread

Any vocalists utilize polyphnic singing at all? I recently started getting the hang of it, but I'm not sure how to apply that in a metal context. Best I can come up with is as an ambient backdrop.

For those unaware of what it sounds like:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vC9Qh709gas[/ame]

Also, its neato, and more people should try.

Throat singing is interesting, but I can't imagine in being utilized in a way that's more interesting than just taking it as it is. It can't be used an many settings because of its inherent limitations. I've always liked the idea of incorporating quarter-tones into music in a comprehensive manner. Tom Fischer's guitar style incorporates it, but in a fairly singular manner. Here's a good demonstration of comprehensive use of quarter-tones--there's not much out there (still, it's Ives, so it's basically polyphonic):

Last edited by a moderator:
The band Yat-Kha uses overtone singing in the most cool way, but the vocalist of the band has a vocal ability beyond that of probably anyone else in that style.

The band Yat-Kha uses overtone singing in the most cool way, but the vocalist of the band has a vocal ability beyond that of probably anyone else in that style.

Got a good song for reference? This was all just a thinly veiled ploy to acquire more music.

Fast forward to 0:44

Why do I even practice when people can already do this? He is the drummer for Vital Remains

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up buying my guitar back and today I bought an instructional book and DVD. I know I could just find stuff online,etc... bought just bought it.

Fast forward to 0:44

Why do I even practice when people can already do this? He is the drummer for Vital Remains

That foot technique is really hard. My double bass never got to that level when I played because I could never get that side to side action down.

Hey.. ok just some news I think will evolve to something that might be a lifer-changer for a lot of metal musicians..

An underground community initiative where local bands in various countries can send in booking contact details for various metal venues and festivals.. so the idea is to make a giant cross-country list of all venues relevant for metal so metal bands can easily book tours and stuff like that..
This will also become relevant for booking agencies, because if this keeps evolving, it's gonna get 100 times bigger than the agencies' own lists. Will it even put some of them out of business?

Local metal bands just add whatever is missing on the list. It's already huge and it's just a week old or something. Anyway.. This is kinda big news I guess.

Oh.. and here is the site: www.iotunn.com/nordic-metal-booking-list

I was just ruminating earlier on how I can't falsetto for shit, literally just can't even. Anyone have tips? Particularly when going from a medium alto vibrato.

For the record I've tried to actually scream to do it, like 'eek a mouse!' scream, and the skill left me when childhood did.

Acoustic playing: what are some good rock/metal songs/exercises that follow the same general notes as the intro to Sanitarium (Metallica) and Scream of the Butterfly (Acid Bath)? I've been playing in that area incessantly and feel confident.

Also interested in simple chord playing like ballad of Dwight frye. Preferably something where the whole song is feasible for a beginner while still being cool. Per given example.

Picked up this amp recently.
pyvyvip1.jpg