Musician's thread

Tbh, everytime I look at it, I have to remind myself that I own it. It's possible my dad would have thrown it out had not I been a guitar player because he had no idea how rare it is. It's definitely not had the easiest 50 year life span, but I could probably get at least a couple of grand for it if I wanted to. But I don't, this thing is a true heirloom. My grandparents were major hoarders, so they have a lot of stuff, even quite a bit of nice things, but their things weren't kept in a clean environment. Apparently my grandfather had a decent guitar amp as well, so I can't wait until it's uncovered. Anyways, here are some close ups of the visual wear. Fortunately, they're only flesh wounds. The neck is fine and the electronics work great.

The visual wear makes the guitar look even cooler, imo. The original color was cream and it's turned yellow since. Also, the pick guard seems to be real tortoise shell, which makes sense given its date of manufacture.

Exactly, that's all character as far as I'm concerned. I thought about getting a Jay Turser Mosrite knockoff, but I've really fallen in love with Les Pauls these days.

Maybe check out some of the old Japanese knock offs. I've got the Univox knock off of the Mosrite bass and it's great. They made Ventures and Les Paul knock offs throughout the 60s and made damn good guitars while doing it. The Ventures knock offs are a bit over priced at the moment, but when the market lulls, you can pick one up for between $300 and $500. Same goes for the Les Paul knock offs. Hondo and Tiesco made good knock offs as well. The only important part is that you ensure it was Matsumoku made, otherwise you may get yourself a plywood Les Paul.

Yeah, if I wanted a Les Paul I'd probably just go with an Epiphone or one of those super slick LTD models. Or, hell, I should get a fucking real job soon so maybe I'll snag a real Gibson model.

And I've played on a plywood guitar. My friend has a pretty decent plywood BC Rich that I really love to play. He put some better pickups in them and it's heavy as fuck but it gets a huge, thick tone.

Yeah, if I wanted a Les Paul I'd probably just go with an Epiphone or one of those super slick LTD models. Or, hell, I should get a fucking real job soon so maybe I'll snag a real Gibson model.

And I've played on a plywood guitar. My friend has a pretty decent plywood BC Rich that I really love to play. He put some better pickups in them and it's heavy as fuck but it gets a huge, thick tone.

One of my local shops has a 60s/70s era Japanese plywood Les Paul for $100. I'd be half tempted to pick it up if I hadn't acquired two guitars in the last couple of months. I would never recommend low-output or single coil pickups in a plywood guitar because the wood creeps into the tone prominently, but if you've got EMGs, it's hard to notice. I used to have a white BC Rich Ironbird with EMGs and it looked sick.

That's a sweet guitar man, congrats. Mosrites just scream stoner rock to me.

Totally. For single coil pickups, they're pretty hot sounding. I'm guessing they're over-wound P90s, but they're epoxy coated so I can't tell. Running just a Tube Screamer through a tube amp and using both the neck and bridge pickups this thing nails Sabbath, but with a bit of an SRV twang if I pound the strings hard enough. Combine the tube screamer with the rhythm gain channel on my preamp and it's stoner heaven.

I took the neck off earlier today. Often, dating old guitars can be difficult, but the neck and body had the dates written on them.

Here's a nice little time capsule my grandfather used as a shim.

And the epoxy coated pickups.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
My 5-string custom fretless.
14563431_10154495938211678_3572692444653918064_n.jpg

I'm currently pondering selling it and using the funds to buy an early 70's JazzP1060483.jpg

Or a Sandberg 5 string
e3b75610e8f3363a844f147d0365095c.jpg

But I don't want to sell it.

Reactions: The Ozzman
Finally scratched my vintage Jazz bass itch. After much gazing at guitars with $4000-$8000 price tags and hoping that somehow I'd stumble across a bargain, I discovered that Japan were making copies in the 70's that were as good and according to some, even better than the real thing. Greco, Fernandes, Tokai, Ibanez and Kasuga were all making such good copies that Fender ended up suing them and the factories that were producing these guitars became Fender Japan. Greco Rickenbacker and Les Paul copies are highly desirable and can fetch up to $2000. I found a guy on reverb.com who is a British pro bassist living in Japan that sources old basses and sets them up and sells them. He also puts up a video of himself playing and testing each bass which is handy. I messaged him and he told me he had a 1977 Greco Jazz copy with exact specs I wanted that he hadn't put up for sale yet. Got it for $750 shipped to my door. Didn't have to sell anything. Pretty chuffed.

IMG_8262.JPG IMG_8263.JPG IMG_8265.JPG

Plays like butter and sounds great. The action is a tiny bit too low for my liking so I'll be adjusting it a tad. It's got some old flatwounds on it currently but i'll be taking them off shortly.

I'm already looking at Greco Les Pauls and SG's as I don't have an electric six-string anymore and it'd be nice to crank some metal jams. I can see myself owning 30 guitars by the time I die, it's a hobby and an addiction for sure.

Need to get a 5 string bass. Don't want anything fancy. Any ideas?
I think Ibanez do decent 5-strings pretty cheap and they're good for playing metal on, if that's what your planning on playing. Otherwise Fender Japan basses are good quality, down from that the Mexican basses can also be decent. Even some Squires are really nice for the money. If you pick up a second hand cheap bass, try to find one that's had the pickups upgraded.

'm already looking at Greco Les Pauls and SG's as I don't have an electric six-string anymore and it'd be nice to crank some metal jams.

So I found this shop near where I live that sells used guitars on consignment, it's full of Grecos and other Japanese copies as well as Fenders, Gibsons etc. I spent about an hour and a half in there bothering the staff and playing as many guitars as possible and almost bought a Greco but then went fuck it and bought a real one.

IMG_8343.JPG IMG_8344.JPG IMG_8345.JPG

It's a 2002 limited edition SG with ebony fingerboard and Seymour Duncans. Got it for only a couple of hundred more than the Greco I was looking at. Now I just need to either sort out a decent sound through my bass rig somehow or buy a guitar amp.

Also I bought one of these:
IMG_8347.JPG
So I can sit about playing funk jams while the missus is sleeping

Been playing guitar on and off since a kid, some people like my playing, not that I care, someone told me I'd run any local guitar player in the area into the ground, if its true or not don't know, dont care. I just like to fuck around with it.

Spent half of yesterday learning the bass line to this:

Its fucking hard to get smooth. Norman Watt-Roy is a great player.

I thought we had a fair few musos in here? I'd like to see more action in this thread..

So I found this shop near where I live that sells used guitars on consignment, it's full of Grecos and other Japanese copies as well as Fenders, Gibsons etc. I spent about an hour and a half in there bothering the staff and playing as many guitars as possible and almost bought a Greco but then went fuck it and bought a real one.

View attachment 9324 View attachment 9325 View attachment 9326

It's a 2002 limited edition SG with ebony fingerboard and Seymour Duncans. Got it for only a couple of hundred more than the Greco I was looking at. Now I just need to either sort out a decent sound through my bass rig somehow or buy a guitar amp.

Also I bought one of these:
View attachment 9327
So I can sit about playing funk jams while the missus is sleeping

Nice! A good friend of mine has the same guitar. Solid axe. It sounds great clean, on the blues, and with metal. I think he paid $900ish for it new around 2002-2004.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Nice! A good friend of mine has the same guitar. Solid axe. It sounds great clean, on the blues, and with metal. I think he paid $900ish for it new around 2002-2004.
Ah nice. I got mine for $875 AUD which is pretty cheap for a real one over here. I was looking at a black one which was a bit cleaner for $1200 but I had to stop myself. I'm not even a guitarist ffs.

623497_stock-photo-old-man-celebrating-with-laptop.jpg