Musician's thread

Acoustic playing: what are some good rock/metal songs/exercises that follow the same general notes as the intro to Sanitarium (Metallica) and Scream of the Butterfly (Acid Bath)? I've been playing in that area incessantly and feel confident.

Also interested in simple chord playing like ballad of Dwight frye. Preferably something where the whole song is feasible for a beginner while still being cool. Per given example.

You might try fade to black or for whom the bell tolls

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
I restrung my steel-string acoustic for the first time in about ten years last night after finally breaking the high E. Gave it some serious love and polished and cleaned everything. I'd forgotten how good it can sound.

Recently started playing guitar again. I bought this Korg tuner and do not like standard tuning and can't do shit with it. If someone could recommend me a tuner that would be nice!

Shark-Navigator-NV402-Elite-Professional-Rotator-Pet-Allergy-Bagless-Upright-Vacuum-d7763123-f3fa-41c0-8728-977eef5442f5_600.jpg

Reactions: The Ozzman
Genuine question for you guise
Do you reckon it's worth picking up drumming properly as a girl? I've been thinking about it for a while, can easily go to Dawsons and pick up some nice gear but I'm wondering if it's worth all the shit female metal musicians get and not taken seriously? or is that all different now? I used to drum a bit on my exes rig and I fucking loved it, got really into it where I was making my own stuff up.

Do you reckon it's worth picking up drumming properly as a girl?

I didn't start drumming until 18 months ago and I'm 32. Picking up any musical instrument is worth it for anyone imo.

The Drumeo channel on Youtube has really good shit and famous drummers talking about different concepts. If you get a paid subscription, there's apparently WAY more shit to peruse. I'm still considering dropping some jew tokens on a subscription.

also: drumlessons.com

Genuine question for you guise
Do you reckon it's worth picking up drumming properly as a girl? I've been thinking about it for a while, can easily go to Dawsons and pick up some nice gear but I'm wondering if it's worth all the shit female metal musicians get and not taken seriously? or is that all different now? I used to drum a bit on my exes rig and I fucking loved it, got really into it where I was making my own stuff up.

You should get drums and get a Cowbell, we need more Cowbell.

Haha I saw the cowbell thing before, still funny. :rofl:

@The Ozzman
Yeah my mate picked up guitar not too long ago which inspired me and they are a bit older than you and I was like "wat. thought you had to be younger to learn stuff easier" apparently not cause he's pretty good haha! I might just grab a cheap guitar and Rocksmith for now to ease me into playing music in general, so I can understand/learn easier, plus it's kinda easier to carry about haha. I'll get into drumming when I move because I forgot my neighbors were bellends.

My friend was telling me that creating music is basically like a creative art so you gotta be creative to do something good of your own. Does that sound right? I do see a lot of art students who get into music making. I'm really creative so I guess that's a good thing?

Thanks for the reply btw and the links. :)

Try it and see. It would be a shame (and maybe something you'll regret later) to not pursue it because of sexism. You can probably find a group of people who accepts you as you are.

@zabu of nΩd
Yeah, you're totally right there I wouldn't wanna be old and regretful of not doing stuff over something so silly really. The sexist stuff bothers me a little but I figure like, if Liz from Electric Wizard can do it and she just gets on with it then any other woman could.

Although, I guess that sexist behaviour towards women in metal is dying out because it's been proven time and time again women can do pretty awesome stuff too. But yeah definitely gonna try it, although it will take like a good few years to get good, but luckily I'm pretty good with persistence and patience. I'll try out both drums and guitar and see which one I'd like to stick at, I enjoy both quite a lot so it's gonna be a bit of a pain to decide haha.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
I was browsing Craig's List recently and searched "Masumoku guitar" on a whim. I struck gold. Matsumoku was a guitar factory operating in Japan from the 60s to the 80s that produced quite a few very nice guitars and undercut the American manufacturers. During the 60s, Matsumoku produced replicas of Fenders and Gibson that were of close enough quality for the American manufacturers to launch lawsuits against Matsumoku to prevent them from selling replicas in the States. The brands for which Matsumoku produced guitars include quite a number of companies, including Ibanez, Greco, Ibanez, and so on. Memphis was a contemporary brand that mostly produced shit guitars, but they made a couple that were top notch from 79 into the 80s which were manufactured by Matsumoku.

I picked up one of them, a 1979 model, for $260. I've spent the last week rewiring the thing and it's a tone monster. Lots of maple and mahogany in the body, so it sustains for days. Pickup wise, I went for P-Rails in the neck (basically, a rail single coil and p90 wired together to make a humbucker) and my favorite high gain pickup, a Seymour Duncan SH-15, in the bridge. I like to run 1 meg pots instead of the typical 500k because they free up frequencies that would otherwise be shaved off by 500ks. I also added some three way switches so that I can split the humbuckers into single coils. So basically I've wired the thing to get sounds ranging from SRV to a strong death metal tone. It's not finished yet because I'd like to install a new nut and there is a ground issue I've been working to resolve, but I've enjoyed jamming on the thing in the mean time. Here's the before and after:

Reactions: Satanstoenail