My Dilemma: What Should I Do, Guys?

WhatdoIdo?

• a) tell her straight out (haha pun time!)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • b) wait til she goes to lunch and disable her cd player

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • c) offer to let her borrow my Frank Zappa cd for variety

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • suffer in silence because I'm blowing this out of proportion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
so my lesbian cubemate and I have settled in to our new work digs and get along famously. Everything is fine except one thing that is really beginning to bug me; her CD player.

She plays the same cd over and over and over and over again, and has for several weeks now, endlessly looping...some female singer who is fond of hitting long sustained vocal notes, I don't know who she is.

Do I:

Slap her and tell her to stop being such a sexist man-hater and play some music with some testosterone for once!

...and then put on Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, because you don't want to upset her too much, right?

"hello darkness, my old friend...."

I really don't want to stir up shit because 1) we really do like each other 2) she outranks me and 3) she is famous for having a temper, although she's never gone off on me...but the other day I was in the uncomfortable position of having to sit only four feet away from her while she argued with her girlfriend for an hour and a half on the phone. I suppose I should be flattered that she trusts me enough to be open and honest around me.

the kind of funny thing about lesbians is, you know how much women confound men? lesbians are women who confound each other.:)

jesus dude it's only fair that if she's going to play music loud enough that you have to hear it, that she has to be considerate. first thing i'd do is ask her if you could play one of your cd's. maybe then it'd remind her that you can actually hear what she's playing. see what happens with that first. if she says no or gets all bitchy, then tell her you were trying to be nice but you can't stand hearing that cd over and over again for another day. anyone that doesn't understand that is living in a small small minded world.

if she keeps playing it after that, i'll come out there with a broomstick, whip her ass, and make her eat the cd player.

well, then keep suggesting cd's. no one should expect another person to listen to the same cd two times in a freakin' row. everyone should know that.

lesbians are weird. when i talk to my friends it's like 'hey. what? yea. hi. how are you? what? no. do you have drugs? paint?'

you should make her a mix CD of songs that you think she'd like and that you can also tolerate/like. then hand it to her as a present, and be like "you'll really like these songs! you should listen to it right now!"

problem should be solved!
no hurt feelings, you're both happy.
if she has the habit of playing the same CD over and over again, then make her a few mix CDs? (or keep making them over the course of time!)

the delivery of "you'll really like these songs" line is CRUCIAL, by the way.
you have to *really* make her think that you're siked to have made her the mix and that you're excited to see her reaction.

essentially it's unfair for her to listen to the same CD at a volume you can hear it--headphones. if that's acceptable in your office, then you should get the opportunity to listen to your own CDs. do as teh_prepz said and ask her if you can put on one of your own. and don't escalate any conflict that arises, just respond equally. like, if she continues to play stuff she knows you don't appreciate, respond by playing something good that you know she won't appreciate, such as Khanate, so maybe she will understand the subjectivity of her musical tastes.