Should I Even Bother?

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
Ok, so yeah, there are some chicks who already listen to Opeth but what about those who don't? Is it worth the effort?

I have a friend who is pretty "musical". By that I mean she is a vocalist and is on professional recordings and all that crap. She aspires to be a songwriter and said she plays guitar, piano, and bass. I asked her what she listens to and she said exactly what I expected: Maroon 5, Coldplay, Collective Soul, blah blah blah. Not my cup o' tea. But I thought it might do her some good, both personally and professionally, if she gave Opeth a try. Anyone have any ideas on the *best* way to get someone to listen to music that is way off their usual tastes? Any ideas on how to get a *woman* to listen to death metal? My only experience is my wife and the response was, "turn that shit off."

Btw, my friend is pretty talented in the vocals department; I'm taking this seriously. If no one has any ideas, I'll just fork over a CD and hope for the best.

dorian...run a warm bath, and open your wrists.

as for her...if shes your friend...her judgement is already clouded beyond reason...so exposing her to a band like Opeth is a moot point.

If she listens to that music, don't bother, maybe try give her good decent rock/soft metal bands, eg; Tool or A Perfect Circle or something.

Play her "The Drapery Falls", she'll like it, and by the time the brutal vocals kick in, she won't be able to turn back. Or if she has a short attention span, play her "When", if she starts banging her head, marry her.

a few iof my friends hate metal .. yet really enjoy meshuggah and opeth nothing else. so you never know

NineFeetUnderground said:

as for her...if shes your friend...her judgement is already clouded beyond reason...so exposing her to a band like Opeth is a moot point.
Come on, what the fuck is this shit? Fucking grudges.

The way my friend got me listening to Opeth was through a single song: Benighted.

Of course, after that he let loose the cookie monster screaming of Mikael and I was like "What the hell." But I went back and listened to it again a couple months later and it's been growing on me ever since.

Well my girlfriend didnt really like Opeth that much... but every once in awhile before I went to bed I played To Bid Your Farewell, and she realy liked it... then I got her Damnation and she loved it... then I made her listen to SL, and she liked it, and now she likes BP.. Now I just have to taint her with the morningrise and my job is complete... She has Orchid but she doesnt really like it... damn her to the infinities of hell.

i have friends like this as well. Unfortunatley, many of them are of the opinion that anything with guitars in can't be good music.

How wrong they are....

Sometimes i like to get my non metal friends into my music, just to smash their preconceptions of it and the stereotypes of metal, but sometimes i just dont tell anyone about a band... i want it to be a little secret and stay in the underground :)

I've always done it this way: I'll show the person some real heavy shit, like Deicide-Once Upon The Cross, Dying Fetus stuff, Mortician, Cannibal-Tomb of the mutilated, etc...Then when you play stuff like Opeth, it doesn't seem as bad, so they like it more. They've probably at least learned to deal with the death growls, and the melodies and soft parts make Opeth seem better. Or maybe they end up liking the heavy shit...

katatonic_fear said:
I've always done it this way: I'll show the person some real heavy shit, like Deicide-Once Upon The Cross, Dying Fetus stuff, Mortician, Cannibal-Tomb of the mutilated, etc...Then when you play stuff like Opeth, it doesn't seem as bad, so they like it more.
Negative. By the time you've put someone through that bender of terrible death metal, it's likely that they'll have become completely numb to anything.

NineFeetUnderground said:

I've always seen you as the boards mature old man, now why did you have to say this and ruin my image of you.................

worth a try, man...
i'm a girl and to be honest i think most death metal is horrible, but i love opeth--all of it.
so, it's worth a try... i suggest damnation and perhaps a cd of all the non-growlie songs and then give her BWP...

I started listen to Opeth because a friend of mine introduced me into this band. I was more into death metal stuff like Morbid Angel, Incantation, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Pantera, Judas Priest and shit like that (I still do, you know) When I heard Opeth I was like: Hell! this IS the shit, I loved their mellow side, the clean vocals, the whole atmosphere etc... but the thing was that when I heard the Almighty's voice I was in total awe (...)
Another one, I have lots of friends who are into metal, but not death metal, so they know my musical tastes, SO if I want to introduce someone into any death metal band, my intention is to make him/them listen to the really heavy/death/growls stuff, since soft, progressive, clean vocals and mellow songs likes to anyone.
Besides, we know Opeth is a great band, but I don't see the need to introduce everyone in this world to listen to them, if that kind of people don't have the 'feeling' to listen, it's completely WORTHLESS :devil: Period.

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

I'm actually giving all my 4 aunts a copy of Damnation as christmas present. Just to see their faces when they buy Still Life in excitement.