Should I Even Bother?

as long has you help her feel the music through her biases. i turned a friend who listens to a lot of classical music (and several other genres, that are usually more mellow) onto opeth big time by showing him damnation. Then i let him listen to bwp for a while...and he loved it X10.

my whole family likes Opeth.

what a lame comment Ninefeetunderground, just because someone listens to coldplay/maroon5/collective soul doesn't mean they are musically challenged and will not give metal a chance. i happen to like those 3 bands..... way to be musically diverse there.

Silent Song said:
....maroon5....i happen to like those 3 bands....
:puke:

I actually have a friend that is into nothing but techno, and I managed to get him to like Opeth. I let him listen to when and he listened to it three times over like he had never heard actual music before

this has always amazed me. i've met some jazz vocalists and some really great musicians who were really talented at playing their axes. and while we were conversing it always came down to what we listened to of course. i was really surprised at the answers they gave:

christina aguilera
celine dion
anastacia...etc. you know that stuff

this was really curious. i mean up to a certain age, i had always thought great musicians listened to other great musicians for inspiration and guidance...well, that was partially true. they did...until they got tired of it. haha

on the other hand, to be honest, i find some r 'n' b singers' vocal performances fascinating...im a huge fan of beyoncé myself (seriously). and erykah badu comes to mind, too.

but maroon 5? come on. whats so special about that band? coldplay is boss, though.

oh and as for the original post, yeah play her some benighted and face of melinda. if they dont do the trick, nothing will. i wouldnt be so keen on death metal though.

Come on pal!... don't get me wrong. WE ALL KNOW JUDAS PRIEST ISN'T DEATH METAL. I put it because at the time I listened death metal bands I listened Judas Priest too, I didn't see THE NEED to post all the genres and the sub-genres to ALL THE BANDS I LIKE, but if you want and you don't know, the next time I'll do it. :devil: (you know I was joking, right? sometimes I can be very ironic, that's why I'm telling you, and you're a great person to me)

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

ChrisEmerson said:
judas priest are death metal?? first i've heard of it...

Come on pal!... don't get me wrong. WE ALL KNOW JUDAS PRIEST ISN'T DEATH METAL. I put it because at the time I listened death metal bands I listened Judas Priest too, I didn't see THE NEED to post all the genres and the sub-genres to ALL THE BANDS I LIKE, but if you want and you don't know, the next time I'll do it. :devil: (you know I was joking, right? sometimes I can be very ironic, that's why I'm telling you, and you're a great person to me) ;)

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

ChrisEmerson said:
judas priest are death metal?? first i've heard of it...

thanks all. i thoroughly enjoyed all the responses. i agree with those of you who thought i should recommend damnation at first. i'll give it a try.

Atlas Shrugged: i fucking hate Ayn Rand. other than that, i'm not trying to convert anyone. the woman is a musician and a songwriter with some vocal talent. there are many bands i'd like to get her to listen to but this is an opeth forum, so i only mentioned opeth. I don't see anything inherently wrong with trying to get someone with existing musical abilities to be influenced by a great band like Opeth.

Cheers.

uh, random ayn rand rant... ???
anyway, i been playing a lot of opeth to my snobby musician bf and he digs it. he hasn't acquired a taste for the growlies yet, but i think it'll happen.

Don Corleone:

not every band you like has to necessarily be groundbreaking. i was just pointing out that anyone who immediately discredits someone's musical tastes or musical knowledge on the basis that they like a certain band, is being closedminded.

Atlas Shrugged said:
Why does everone try to play metal missionary and convert everyone over to their own musical tastes? Posts like these make me ill!

yah, its stupid when people do that, but what is stupid about introducing someone to some good music...excluding the fact that its "metal" or "pop"?

rand... 'we the living' was pretty good, early novel about the early soviet union, but otherwise she shows why heavy-handed philosophy/politics and fiction don't mix too well...
which, incidentally, i think is true of lyrics as well... i am always relieved by the impressionism of opeth lyrics... you should certainly give lyrics to the person you plan on sharing opeth with...

on the topic, of course you should bother. opeth isn't the only good music out there. even some people who listen to shitty music are awesome people who just haven't actively pursued good music.

NineFeetUnderground said:
dorian...run a warm bath, and open your wrists.

as for her...if shes your friend...her judgement is already clouded beyond reason...so exposing her to a band like Opeth is a moot point.

"We're talking about unchecked aggression here..."