My Final Thoughts on TGCD

Thank you for posting. I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't been able to sleep at night for months because I've been so concerned with your final thoughts on TGCD. Unanswered questions would go through my head all night long, such as..."What songs keep him coming back? What songs do not? What would his final tracklisting be if he released the album?". Thankfully all these have been answered, so I can finally get a great night sleep tonight. I'm going to go ahead and start burning CDRs of the album with only your "8 solid songs" so I can finally hear this album the way it should have been heard! Screw those 4 other songs that you don't like! Who needs 'em?! :worship:

awesome!

For me TGCD is a very good Katatonia album - productionswise much better than VE but also with much less soul than LFDGD, my alltime favourite Katatonia album. I think the main problem is the live situation. Jonas sings very very clean and the rest of the band plays these very harsh metal riffs. That doesn't fit most of the time when they play TGCD songs. Well just my opinion. I think they shouldn't show to much perfection and trying to sound progressive as hell. :rolleyes:

Less soul, meaning feeling? I completely disagree. It is certainly different than LFDGD, but it contains some of the most emotional and haunting vocal lines I have ever heard from Jonas, period. I could care less about the production as long as it is not terrible. The only thing I missed at all on TGCD was some of those great lead melodies by anders, I think there could have been a few more of those, but that's it.

TGCD is brilliant. Leaders just destroys with its "angular" riffs and echoing guitar leads. that song is a motherfucker. Quite an unusual opener.

I've never compared the Katatonia albums to each other. They all feel and taste different to me because the band keeps evolving and going forward , not repeating themselves for years like Iron Maiden xP. I think TGCD is a "perfect" album. Yeah i can say "perfect". I cant think of a minute where i would say, "nah this riff/melody/vocals doesnt feel right or doesnt fit here". The whole album flows thru you from the start till the end and it feels INTENSE. This doesnt mean this album is better than the previous ones. It may be better in productionwise. I never start listening to a new Katatonia album expecting that they would do a better job. I just forget about the rest and start a whole new different journey.

Getting back to the comment on Katatonia's live performance, I think they are great live. One of the many things that make Katatonia unique is the mix of Jonas' clean vocals and the heavy ass guitar riffs. I prefer anything they do live compared to studio, except material from TGCD. Songs from that album just don't sound quite right live.

katatatafbs2.jpg

Looks like Black Lodge is handling the new one!!!1111

Rofl
Best album of 2008, coming right up!

Pretty much all the tracks are on the same level on that cd. It's one of those things where if you like one you should like them all. The more stand out tracks were B-sides in my opinion.

The more stand out tracks were B-sides in my opinion.

I totally agree. I liked the non-album tracks more than most of the songs that actually made the album, including the 3 remixes (say what you want, but I loved those). It's really a solid album - definately one of my favorites, but I felt that it took longer to get used to, as opposed to their older albums.

Although I like every track on the album I do skip Soil's Song from time to time. TGCD was my album of the year of 06 so needless to say I love it and hope the band continues in a similar direction.

I totally agree. I liked the non-album tracks more than most of the songs that actually made the album, including the 3 remixes (say what you want, but I loved those). It's really a solid album - definately one of my favorites, but I felt that it took longer to get used to, as opposed to their older albums.

Wow, I could not disagree more. I think the band listened to the b-sides and determined that they were simply not as consistent as excellent songs like Deliberation, July, Increase, & Soil's Song. I certainly do think the b-sides are good, but some riffs and sections are much better than others (although Unfurl is just as good as any of the songs on the LP in my opinion, such a great laid back vibe to it, and I love the middle section of Dissolving Bonds).

Wow, I could not disagree more. I think the band listened to the b-sides and determined that they were simply not as consistent as excellent songs like Deliberation, July, Increase, & Soil's Song.
Actually some were written after the cd.

I would have loved to see the b-sides make the album, but I understand why they didn't. Still, if this is the shape of things to come, then I can't wait to see what they'll come up with next. Overall, I wasn't too crazy about The Great Cold Distance at first, with the exception of 5 songs; but it is now one of my favorite Kata-records, only surpassed by Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

of course....you guys know best...this forum, this festival of gagg.
You don't seem to be a big fan of this forum. So i have to ask you why do you come here? I don't know if this is just your humour or whatever, but you always seem so negative.