My Final Thoughts on TGCD

see when i first heard tgcd, it was my first katatonia album and i kinda just placed it aside, listened to soils song and my twin, but i got into it again a month or two later and now i love almost every song, not big on journey through pressure and into the white, i like leaders though, the whole album is great imo

'Journey through pressure' and 'Deliberation' did it for me..
I've seen a lot of fuss over 'Leaders'... i actually took a liking towards that one..

I love Leaders for the hypnotic drive created by the drums and for the psychotic guitargrooves and melodies.

I love Deliberation for the catchy guitars in the verse, the relaxed and calm feel and the beautiful bridge.

I love Soil's Song for the two over three drumbeat, the strange and very original guitars in the verse, the pulsating guitars in the chorus with the high harmonics and the crushing bridge

I love My Twin for the overall ambient sounds throughout the song, for the heavy outbreak in the guitars in the half of the verse which leads to the chorus too, for the vocals and second vocals in the chorus and for the contrast between verse and chorus.

I love Consternation for the crushing grooves in the whole song, for the haunting vocals which sound really threatening in the chorus, for the distorted guitars that come crushing in in the verse, for the heavenly guitarsolo with the oh so nice cup/ride-drumgroove and for the cannonblast sounding return of the chorus again

I love Follower for the relaxing and strange groove, for the cold ambience, for the cool switching of rhythm between drums and guitars (when the drums play a normal 4/4 the guitars continue in the strange groove), for the heavy triplet before the second chorus, for the nevermore-like double-bass bridge and for the double vocals singing "fix my eyes in the sun".

I love Rusted for the beautiful intro, the beautiful guitars and vocals in the verse, the oh-so-nice drums in the verse with all the cool accents on the cymbals, the stroke on the floortom before going to the heavy part, the rhythm change in the heavy part, the oh-so-beautiful chorus, the way Daniel plays every verse differently but keeps the same accents, the heavy bridge and the drumfill leading into the pre-chorus and finally for the return from chaos to the last chorus.

I love Increase for the busy grooves in the intro, for the way the vocals drop in in the verse, for the percusssion in the background of the chorus and the clean guitarnote between the end of the chorus and the second verse, the relaxing bass and the repetition of the intro with (unclean) vocals.

I love July for the epic guitarintro which mannages to become even more pretty with vocals, for the cool drums in the verse, for the epic chorus with the oh-so-nice backing vocals, for the way Daniel (again) changes the groove by playing on the cymbals now, for the bridge that should make éveryone headbang and for the vocals that come over that groove.

I love In The White for the groovy bassline, for the fucking beautiful guitars and vocals in the verse, for the classic feel in the vocal-lines in the chorus and for the hauntingly beautiful bridge with nice heavy-mellow contrasts and the final groove in the end of the bridge.

I love The Itch for the haunting feverish feel to the song, for the very beautiful mellow guitars followed by the sick chorus, for the nice guitarsolo and for the way that easiness is brutally broken by the guitarslide and drumfill.

I love Journey Through Pressure for it's haunting atmosphere, for the very groovy drums, for the completely desperate, desolate and final sound of the vocals, for the breathtaking bridge ("The sky moves faster..." and for the whole apocalyptic ambience

I think the entire album is almost solid and my favorite tracks are Leaders,Consternation,Increase,July, and The Itch. Katatonia really nailed the production also.

Least favorite track would be Journey Through Pressure which is really boring.

i think that's a masterpiece, i continue to listen to it and i continue to appreciate every day. i love that they continue to grow in music and to change, some bands contiune with the same music and that's boring. so i'm dying to listen the other and see them live in february

@stefan
In The White is probably their most hopeful song of all? But it's followed by The Itch and Journey Through Pressure so whatever positive energy or whatever this song creates it's then washed away again methinks.

i was disappointed by the album at first and still feel like it doesn't stack up to past efforts, but after listening to it a lot, i really do love it. it's just hard to top the greatness of the older albums. all the albums from brave murder day to viva emptiness set the bar too high for any band to top. to even come close is a great achievement in itself.