My new Opeth song cover

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Ahoy, so it's finally done. I would've liked to have spent some more time at the mastering stage, evening everything out, but alas I ran out of time and have to go to class. I may end up remastering and remixing this in the future, but for now you can find it here:

http://www.sotmusicianguild.com/uploads/moonies_cover.mp3

Enjoy.

PS. Big thanks for Unicorn for letting me in on a tool that let me get a decent rhythm guitar tone.

FEKCIN WOW.......Dude that was aewomse........very feckin inspirational....... yeah that was killer stuff man...really impressive....yup teh guitar tone was jsut amazing..;l.......and ure playin is perfet man...really clean playing.......loved it.......Keep rockin...by the way excuse my ignorance...what song was that.........I love it....If u dont mind...Id lvoe to do Vox...I wont let u donw...i can do Death GRowls too if needed.........but....PEAC EOUT

Really fat sound. Why didn't you use an acoustic guitar? And I guess you didn't tab it out?
6:20 is awesome!! (played it 3 times after each other...) But in the heavy ending parts without lead there's something missing, I think the dirty Opeth mix had some extra lines in it. But whatever, it's a cover, and an amazing one!

Good to hear you guys liked it.

@atilla: Yeah there are parts missing. I wasn't able to mix in the acoustic overlays on the heavier parts at the end well because I was using clean electric and it just doesn't punch through like an acoustic would. I don't own a decent acoustic/mic/preamp/interface/room so I'm not really able to cut good mic'ed or acoustic recordings back home. That's why I wasn't able to add natural acoustics.

@Windowpane: It's lined-in. Processed with various software on the PC.

I should've said at the start. I welcome anybody who can record and do the vox and/or bass relatively well, please feel free to do so and I'll remix and add those elements in.

Cheers guys, glad to hear the effort was appreciated.

as per usual another great cover ermin, well worth the wait on 56k haha, that bit from like 3:45 sounds grunty, but now i have to go listen to the actual song...as someone said before white summmmmmmer cant be left out :D

Haha, believe me, I was really pumped about the idea of doing vocals for this track, but I just don't have any means to back home. We'll see, if I get bored I may take it down to the academy I study at and cut the vocals there (using a Neumann U87 mmmmmm...).

this really outstanding, Moonlapse, it really really is! Although it lacks the Opeth-flow a bit. But that's very much compensated with what you managed with the guitar. You should be really proud of what you did.

But I think I'm not the only one thought this while listening: If you can cover a song like that... what is your ówn work all about? You definitly made some of us quite curious about that.

I knew someone who could play every guitar-riff from the sixties, but he couldn't write anything himself. He was just a copycat, pitty him. But if you're able to cover the Amen corner to a very accurate extence, you've definitly learned a lot about that instrument you're holding. So give it a try, or give us a listen. Maybe you've already did that, but it's a long time since I visited this forum.

Cheers!

Ow and some were wondering in the Terrorizer-topic: Yes, I'm from Belgium, hence 'joepie!'.

Well done Moonlapse. Good to know the plugin worked out. :headbang:
The clean guitar sounds could be nicer and lower in the mix. But the rest rules.It's a lot of work to cover a that long song.

Thanks guys. I agree about the clean electrics... I meant to fix that, but I got lazy! (had to head off to school and figured, fuck it, people won't notice haha).

@Mindwinter melancholy: Thanks alot for the kind words. My own stuff is something I haven't really been paying much attention to lately. When I first got into the band I'm in now, I was writing quite a bit of stuff, and alot of that is still on this PC, in assorted Guitar Pro files, half-assedly recorded things etc. I still just feel I'm not 'ready' to write the sort of music I want to. At the moment I want to explore the piano and see what I can sequence and blend in with the metal stuff I normally get.

But I'm obligated to write a track for school these coming two weeks, as it's one of the requirements of the course I'm doing atm, so you might end up hearing that and making up your own mind - who knows.

Moonlapse said:
Ahoy, so it's finally done. I would've liked to have spent some more time at the mastering stage, evening everything out, but alas I ran out of time and have to go to class. I may end up remastering and remixing this in the future, but for now you can find it here:

http://www.sotmusicianguild.com/uploads/moonies_cover.mp3

Enjoy.

PS. Big thanks for Unicorn for letting me in on a tool that let me get a decent rhythm guitar tone.
'That tool' being?? Your tone is really quite good here, i'd be interested in knowing what you used to get it.

All in all it sounded good moonlapse. No bass in there? And write your own stuff, if you do too many opeth covers you'll put their way of playing into your own too much! But covers make me realise how good opeth really are, contributes to my excitement for the new album.

Not sure why im posting here. hello.

Oh, I'm probably late with my comment, it will be just a repeat of the words guys said, but I really enjoyed your playing. I couldn't match any technical mistakes! And the quality of the record also deserves a reward. Drums are very professional. The only thing, that confused me: hats (about 6:00) and, as it was said, clean electric..
But in general: super! :) well done!

yep i'm interested in the 'tool', too :)

great cover, quite clean playing, surprising choice ;)..

an observation:
you simplified the riff at 0:28 (in the opeth version), it's a variation of the first riff: it has a trill there (smth like 5--4h5p4---1 instead of 5--4--1... i may have the frets wrong, i haven't learned the song)

Yeah, you're right. I realized after I did the first guitar take of that, that I played it without the legato. I couldn't be bothered going back and retaking just for that one little aspect, so I took the other 3 guitar takes with the same playing as the first.

You'll notice all kinds of little inconsistencies and stuff, mainly because I followed a tab that wasn't 100% accurate, and because I couldn't be bothered transcribing it all by ear to make sure it's accurate.

It would've been nice to play everything as it is on the album, but the thing took long enough to make as it is, haha.

Really really good... I'm jealous, it sounds awesome, very professionnal.
My only complaint would be on drums : cymbals are too loud and the double kick sounds strange.

But it's still fucking awesome !! :kickass: