My new Opeth song cover

Nice job, i quite like the drums, and the heavy guitar tone, some heavy shit. Nice reverb sound on the clean guitar.

The heavy riff at around 4 mins, is one of my fav Opeth riffs.

I'm not sure if you're into this kinda stuff, but if you really do enjoy these sorts of 'riffs' you might like a track by Blut Aus Nord called 'Procession of the dead clowns'. I'd suggest checking it out, just in case.

The entire track is built around 'triumphant' chording and ambient lead work.

Wretched Pest said:
Well done, Moonlapse. Well worth the wait. :headbang:

I would like to do a cover too, but I can't get a decent Opeth tone. :erk:
A good tone is good enough, Moonlapses tone wasn't really pre-deliverance-Opeth either (sometimes a bit too compressed imo)

great guitar playing and tone...even more clear than the album, not quite the punch though...and yah, the timing does seem off sometimes at the fills, and the cymbals seem over-panned a bit. but, overall, great job as usual.

Moonlapse said:
It's lined-in. Processed with various software on the PC.

Can you kinda elaborate on various software? Btw I can do the clean vox if you want. But I can't growl ...

Cool. Well I'll elaborate then.

The rhythm guitar chain was

Guitar > Boss ME-50 (Clean setting, just boosting volume) > Soundcard Line-in > Guitar Rig > Freefilter > EQ.

Actually it was a little bit more elaborate than that, but for all intents and purposes that was it.

What kind of soundcard are you using? Is a Creative Audigy style soundcard good enough for this kind of recordings?

Moonlapse said:
Cool. Well I'll elaborate then.

The rhythm guitar chain was

Guitar > Boss ME-50 (Clean setting, just boosting volume) > Soundcard Line-in > Guitar Rig > Freefilter > EQ.

Actually it was a little bit more elaborate than that, but for all intents and purposes that was it.
Oh, Free Filter. I've used it in the past but never found it too useful, at that stage my sounds were too fundamentally different from the start. Now it might be worthwhile since my distortion is not too bad. What program did you get Free Filter working in? I could never get it working properly in cubase i think, i could be wrong.

It was Cubase SX 2 I used with FreeFilter.

I used Guitar Rig for the fundamental guitar sound. It basically processed my 'distortion' sounds. Well, it also processed the clean sounds (added amp, cabinet and mic emulations).

My soundcard is an Audigy 2ZS, so yeah they're adequate for this 'tier' of recording (ameteur, home recording etc.).

In retrospect I probably should've taken a bit more time to think things over and spend more time doing the mixing and mastering. I used the shitty free Natural Studio drum samples out of sheer lazyness and it reflects on the recording itself.

Moonlapse said:
It was Cubase SX 2 I used with FreeFilter.
Hmm. i shall try it with Nuendo then, maybe it works easier now. Thanks for the information moonlapse.