Neurosis anyone?

As many have mentioned, Neurosis in its current form is quite ambient in places. Their music builds over minutes and minutes, and to some this is boring and alienating. First of all, I wouldn't put current Neurosis work in my list of "driving" albums or workout albums. It's much more about setting time aside to just close your eyes and feel the aches and emotions of each song, and of the album as a cohesive whole. My one problem with Neurosis is in some parts the timbre of the vocals sounds forced against the wave (be it loud or soft) of sound. In any case, Neurosis doesn't sonically remind me of Opeth much at all. Maybe for five seconds out of three songs, maybe, and that's pushing and stretching it.

Older Neurosis is much more straightforward, and in my mind, less rewarding. Just metal, not very original in my mind.

If you like the newer Neurosis, specifically its more experiemental and ambient side, I would check out Tribes Of Neurot, their avant-garde side project. One of my favorite discs is Tribe of Neurot's Adaptation and Survival, which is a record composed solely of sounds recorded from insects, then electronically manipulated (or left untouched) and layered to, as they want, create an idea of the insect collective psyche basically. Obviously this album is a "turn the lights off, close your eyes, and focus on the sound while allowing yourself to drift through it" album. Cool if you like it. Their collaboration with the Walking Time Bombs is also quite good.