Nevermore Vs..........iced Earth

Originally posted by neal
yeh that was a really funny one. butt plug, mongaloid, farted out your mouth. classic.
-neal

hahahha Thanks, but what about the shit faced piece of FORESKIN, that was funny. And the heroin sperm, i laughed about that as well, get with it neal.

hahahha

Originally posted by Trapped
Ledmag, you never cease to amaze me... :lol:

About the original topic... it is quite an interesting debate actually, as the two bands are often lumped in the same category together, even when they are years apart.

Dead Heart in a Dead World and Horrorshow DO have their similarities, and while horrorshow has grown on me quite a bit since i first heard it, Dead Heart doesn't do much for me at all, despite nevermore being one of my favourite bands... I hated Horrorshow when i first got it, it just seemed "Wrong" to have been released by iced earth, but once you get past the juvenile lyrics, and the slightly derivative riffing style, there is some downright COOL stuff on the album...

Dead Heart is interesting... it is a step towards the style of Iced Earth, much more "new-age power metal" than DNB or POE. Simplified riffing, thrashy passages and catchy choruses, cool vocals etc...

Neither band has "stayed the same" over the years... EVERY nevermore album is a different style of metal, "Nevermore" being power metal with a thrash undertone, "In Memory" being a dark, complicated thrash album, "politics (see below)" being a technical and complex thrash progressive 'guitar'-album, "dreaming" being a melancholy, almost doomy thrash/power album, and "Dead Heart" being a new age Power-Metal (tradition power ideas, but with detuned guitars and a groove).

While DHIADW and HS have their similarities, it stops there. Politics of ecstasy is like NOTHING that iced earth, nor any other band have ever done... Iced Earth have never even tried to border on prog, they are basically just an updated version of what Metallica dn Megadeth were doing in the mid/late eighties, around the time of Master of Puppets and Rust in Peace.

Nevermore are far superior musicians (no insult to iced earth, but this is a fact), and "the Politics of ecstasy" is unmatched in terms of guitar and drum playing. I applaude iced earth for not coming of as a second rate "we wanna be better musicians" style band, where they play a style which is out of reach for them, they have never given the illusion of progressive ideas or technicality.

Schaffer isn't a great player at all, but he writes some really cool riffs, but just like pantera, they are like a shotgun, some bullets are right on target, and others are totally leftfield, out of knowhere.

Older iced earth is pretty generic, despite the cool riffs and ideas here and there, burnt offerings, the dark saga and earlier have their shining moments, but aside from a shimmer in the park, there is little solidarity to their music... There are a few awesome songs, like Travel in Stygian, Burnt Offerings etc... but that is where it ends, the albums sound very "hurried" to me.

There is a slight parrallel between Nevermore's S/T effort and Burnt Offerings, a little bit being the production, and a little being the groove-oriented thrash riffs, like CBF... Where iced earth released the same album twice, nevermore did the total opposite, and totally reinvented their sound with their following albums, In Memory and POE... while IM was only an EP, it was alot stronger than Iced Earth's full length albums at the time.

I won't go into details, for you people can hear for yourselves the difference between POE and Something Wicked, Dreaming Neon Black and HS etc...

Nevermore and Iced Earth Started off in the same direction, but nevermore took a totally different path, and cut their own way... but both bands have ended up again in a similar spot... heavy and thrashy power-metal, with a similar production (no room to breathe, guitars squashed to buggery, drums the same... the only decent thing about either production is the way that the vocals stand out...)...

Ledmag, you never cease to amaze me... :lol:
THANKS MAN, SO THAT MEANS I NEVER GET DULL THEN, RIGHT? hahahhaha

Schaffer isn't a great player at all, but he writes some really cool riffs, but just like pantera, they are like a shotgun, some bullets are right on target, and others are totally leftfield, out of knowhere.

VERY GOOD OBSEVATION OL PAL. I AGREE.

Simplified riffing, thrashy passages and catchy choruses, cool vocals etc...

RIGHT ON MAN

Nevermore are far superior musicians (no insult to iced earth, but this is a fact), and "the Politics of ecstasy" is unmatched in terms of guitar and drum playing. I applaude iced earth for not coming of as a second rate "we wanna be better musicians" style band, where they play a style which is out of reach for them, they have never given the illusion of progressive ideas or technicality.

VERY GOOD

Nevermore and Iced Earth Started off in the same direction, but nevermore took a totally different path, and cut their own way... but both bands have ended up again in a similar spot... heavy and thrashy power-metal, with a similar production (no room to breathe, guitars squashed to buggery, drums the same... the only decent thing about either production is the way that the vocals stand out...)...

100%

nICE ESAY DUDE, IT WAS VERY EASY TO READ AND STICK WITH. GOOD STUFF. I APPLAUD YOU.

damn man, i just named a few to let you know which post i was talking about. yeh the heroin sperm thing was good.
-neal

i WAS MESSIN WITH YA MAN, GET WITH IT NEAL....

HAHAHHAHAHAHHA

*I WAS PLAYIN THIS TIME AS WELL. HAHHAHAHA*

wHATS GOING ON MAN? yo UHAVENT BEEN AROUND MUCH AS OF LATE.

i agree with trapped that dead heart and horror show have a similar production, and i dont really like either. iced earth- what happened to the raw chuncky sound of the frist 2 albums that i loved? nevermore- what the fuck happend to the bass tone and the listen-to-this-while-youre-tripping aspect of the first 4 releases? also both have weaker lyrics although nevermore is far superior in that department at all times. theres more about each that i dont particularly care for, but the bottom line is:
dead heart is still a good album.
horror show is a fucking abomination against nature.
-neal
\
It seem sthe nevercrew were going for a modern sound, with a bunch of softy songs to boot. The softies are the best on the cd IMO/

Originally posted by taoofground43

Well, thank you too. Nevermore and IE are probably my favorite bands, along with Metal Church (w/ Mike Howe on vocals) and Anthrax. My brother turned me onto them after I had gone on an alternative binge. Needless to say, I was glad to hear real metal bands again and not the same old Korn clones. Everybody has their opinions and are entitled to state them. But others have to respect that. That is why I didn't flame you. You did raise some valid points, but you were also willing to listen to mine. As long as they are not a flame war. Be cool and I'll see you around.

Thanks man. YOu know, those guys who just flamed and that was it, i would really love to hear their opinions on the bands, in a non angry kinda way.

I found this topic at another forum, and it caught my eye. I replied to it, the same as the originating post in this thread. After i posted my reply, i felt as though other ppl may want to read soem opnions on this topic, since both bands are stuck together by most ppl. Anyway, i come across in a hostile way sometimes, but its just to add a bit of fun factor to th epostings. I suppose some ppl got angry about that, and I KNOW some ppl, like the guys here a few days ago, they just got pissed cause i dont agree with them.

Thanks again for you good replies here dude, come around more often if you will.

Originally posted by ledmag
It seem sthe nevercrew were going for a modern sound, with a bunch of softy songs to boot. The softies are the best on the cd IMO/

naw i think the 2 slowest are actually the weakest on the cd. they are ok, but they are nothing compared to an in memory or deconstruction or dreaming neon black or any of the slow songs on any of the other cds.
-neal

yeah, those are good songs as well.

You know ive been thinkin, i need to tak ethis tread to the ie board. IT will get booted, but they need to see it.

yes, im gonna do it,.

yeh. it will get deleted before the end of the day im sure of it. neil the little webcunt over there cant stand anyone saying bad things about IE.
-neal

I know, im gonna do it this comin week. Ill make him boot me. Ill post it again everytime he delets it, and ill make threads about how big a cunt face foreskin shit bag he is, till he boots me off.

Are you gonna watch?
hahahhaha

this topic. And then when the fuck delets it, im gonna post threads about the fuck. He ll kick me out. Thats the whole point though, to get booted. Whyelse whould i go post there.

the topic in it's entirety, or just the first post, or just the posts insulting IE?

come on man, get with it here, i thouht you just picked that name cause you liked it?

Im gonna post the originateing post, its full of anti IE stuff. ITs great stuff, even if i did write it. I hate to sound like Jon here, but u must admit, it is the record thread for the most posts on the neverhole.

There were a lot of funny things happening throughout the post, so I wasn't sure

and yes, it is a record

perhaps, although I do enjoy Iced Earths music to an extent

well yeh these kinds of posts are fun, but its hard to find such easy self incriminating targets like jon. i mean he gives us so much material to talk shit about. the little fuckwit cocksmoker.
-neal