"New" (2006) Q&A thread

Zack: Awwwwwwww... Don't worry, when you get over your shuffle-button disappointment i'll continue to learn you in the verse of non-randomness. :)

A: Well, sight has been proven to be nothing more than the brain's interpretation of the signals it receives from retina cells, which in turn send those signals depending on the light pattern they detect. And hearing is something fairly similar: sound waves enter our ears and make the timpani vibrate, those vibrations travel through all the internal organs of the ear (sorry, i'm not well-versed in ear anatomy; i know much more about the eye, though, if you're interested), and eventually nerve cells capture those vibrations. Touch follows exactly the same principle (contact fires neural impulses), and smell and taste require actual molecules to fire neural impulses but also follow the same principle. I can't give you a complete lesson on any of the senses (maybe on sight, more or less), but i'm sure you get the idea.

Q: So what do senses have to do with randomness?

A: Say if we make an inhuman experiment, and cut off all senses from cloned humans at birth. We'll make sure they are composed of the same amount of matters/energy. (Hi-tech for teh win :D) When later we ask them to push 2 identical buttons, the results should come up the same each time.

Q: Would it?

A: You mean that they'd randomly press one button or the other? Eh, i believe they'd push whichever one is closer, is brighter, catches their attention more easily, looks larger, etc. Actually, you don't have to make inhuman experiments; i once read something about a donkey with two corn stalks, one to each side; as far as i can remember, it said that if there was absolutely nothing that made one stalk different from the other (distance, size, color, whatever) then the donkey wouldn't be able to choose and would stand still and starve itself to death.

Q: So would it?