New DT album soon?

I find it difficult to consider any of their albums from Projector to present to be a noticeably different quality. Granted, their sound has definitely matured (look at the somewhat separated use of keys and guitars on Haven, compared to the way that they are fused no Fiction), but the albums are primarily differentiated by their intent. Damage Done, I feel, is very angry, while Haven was very introspective. Projector seemed set to change the world, while Character seemed to draw on everything that had come before, with a slight nod to the future. Fiction seems to be a simple, direct step forward from that.

I like that interpretation, how do The Gallery and The Mind's I fit in?

Personally, I thought The Mind's I was the darkest stuff they've ever done, and the riffs had a very At-The-Gates-ish quality to them, which I liked. The Gallery to me seemed like (this of course is written with 13 years of hindsight :lol:) they were exploring the full implications of their growing prowess as musicians that began after the release of Skydancer and the line-up changes. The reason I say that is because the The Gallery is so melodic and complex, and not terribly heavy, but very emotionally intense nonetheless.

At the risk of offending fans, I will tell you why I listed the albums that I did. Starting with Projector, the band began experimenting with some of the more technical aspects of their music. I feel that that album is really where Jivarp starts to really separate from the pack of death metal drummers. They started to use a lot of weird time signatures, and I feel that that's where Stanne started to find his voice (and another one!).

I draw a special line at Projector because I feel it divides two distinct portions of the band's music. I think that with earlier albums (as I have read in interviews) the band was really working to learn their instruments, and more fully realize what they wanted to do musically. They're phenomenal albums, don't get me wrong, but I feel that everything pre-Projector is really a larval stage of what was to come.

@Twelveby5: I hope you know that I was being facetious. The suggestion that this band would stagnate was purely feces-ish.

I draw a special line at Projector because I feel it divides two distinct portions of the band's music. I think that with earlier albums (as I have read in interviews) the band was really working to learn their instruments, and more fully realize what they wanted to do musically. They're phenomenal albums, don't get me wrong, but I feel that everything pre-Projector is really a larval stage of what was to come.

I agree that Projector was a watershed event, a dividing line if you will, in their career, but I don't agree that the Mind's I and the Gallery were larval stages of their future development. For starters, both albums are in general much more complex than the albums that followed (tons of riffs in the Mind's I had unusual timing).

I am really looking forward to a new DT album, and I hope it will be coming sometime next year.

As an answer on what we can expect from the new bassist, Daniel Antonsson, I was kind of surprised he was chosen as a bassist. He will do a great job, absolutely, but in the writing process of new albums his writing style might be a lot different. He has been in Soilwork for the past few years, and he wrote quite a bit on their latest album "Sworn To A Great Divide," which contained many thrashy songs. Especially songs such as the title track are very thrashy, and that is one that is composed by him. I'm really curious about how he will do in DT though, and I wish him good luck!

bands should never go back and try and emulate something they did before

although I can slightly see the point of the threadstarter about fiction being less intense than previous albums, but i personally like the polished and refined sound it has, like DT have hit their comfort zone for where they were with that album

my favourite DT album changes most weeks, though it's hovering between Projector and Haven at the moment, so if you were to make me ask for something, more clean vocals on the new record, not just one song with cleans like on fiction, songs with mixes of cleans and growls are possibly even more of a treat :D

I don't think that their new alum for late '09/early '10 is going to sound anything like their previous albums. It'll still have that DT vibe, but DT have constantly reinvented themselves with each album without ever releasing a bad one. I don't think that they want to revisit an older sound until they release something that pisses people off, which they simply haven't done yet. They'll probably do some festivals this summer and tour the US in the Spring and then spend all of autumn recording what they wrote on tour. They won't rush this thing and it'll have all sorts of new influences from inside and outside the metal genre since most good bands listen to many different genres.

I think I know how it will sound lol

Probably like Fiction/Character.

There were times during Fiction where I would sing lyrics but realized I was like hearing Character lyrics in my head...It was alot of the same. Fiction is better though IMO.

I think I know how it will sound lol

Probably like Fiction/Character.

There were times during Fiction where I would sing lyrics but realized I was like hearing Character lyrics in my head...It was alot of the same. Fiction is better though IMO.

Yeah, I had both albums in my car's CD player back to back for a long time, and right after Fiction came out I had trouble remembering which album was playing. I think Fiction is a lot better than Character, though. They sound very similar but I dig Fiction a lot more, for some reason.

Focus Shift sounds like Lost to Apathy....I kind of was hard on both albums for awhile..Although I don't think Character is anything special, the 2nd half is phenominal. Fiction is good all the way through..Inside the Particle Storm was just boring IMO though...

One thing that I think could be explored is more electronic-based music, whatever that may be.

I'd definetly love for them to explore new areas with the electronics. If they did that,took another step back toward the gallery days,and maintained the brutal heavy aspect of there sound,then god damn i would be extremly satisfied.

Im officially subscribing to the "better late than nu-metal crap ( yes I am looking at you N*Flames )" school of thought.

If I don't see another DT release I'd be a shame but rushing an album always leads to crap results trust me.

Ah yes, if another DT album sees the light of day I'll be there to pick it up for sure. That cover of Broken really gave me the chills because it was an amazing reinvention of the song and I'd love to hear more music in the same vein. Personally I'd love to hear more experimental and not so "thrashy" material from them again as on Projector but I haven't been dissapointed with them so far so I'm just hoping for some new and great DT music.

And since Mikael seems to have other shirts than those black collar shirts in his closet the remaining question is will Niklas bring back the leather pants :heh:

stanne's singing on the sentenced cover is so amazing, that alone will make the next album great.

But I think the band as a whole and their sound is heading in a good direction. I enjoyed fiction and it's probably my fav dt album right now but there's something wrong with it I can't quite place.
I expect big things from the next release. Even if it doesn't move in different direction it will still be a high quality album \m/

I'd definetly love for them to explore new areas with the electronics. If they did that,took another step back toward the gallery days,and maintained the brutal heavy aspect of there sound,then god damn i would be extremly satisfied.

Would electronics include the keyboards in Terminus? Because they worked wonderfully well to create a brilliant song.

But what about the use of acoustic guitars, such as in Insanity's Crescendo? Indeed, the song The Mind's Eye used an acoustic guitar yet had an industrial feel to it.

Would electronics include the keyboards in Terminus? Because they worked wonderfully well to create a brilliant song.

But what about the use of acoustic guitars, such as in Insanity's Crescendo? Indeed, the song The Mind's Eye used an acoustic guitar yet had an industrial feel to it.

YES exactly!!! Keyboard electronics like the ones used in the beginning of "Terminus", & "Senses Tied". I feel they bring a dynamic,creative aspect that allows the guitar melodies to become stronger.

I love how the acoustic guitar on "Insanitys Crescendo" builds up perfectly to unplugged clean guitar. It sounds great. The Minds Eye always gives me a creepy feeling. It makes you feel like the sky is falling,and everything is fading. Its so emotional,and depressive.