New fan!

noren

Pixel coordinator
Jan 9, 2002
Alingsås, Sweden
www.progart.com
Hi!
I'm a big fan of this kind of music and I have loved Opeth for a long time.. but somehow I have missed Katatonia. So a few weeks ago I found "Last fair deal.." for 50 Swedish Crowns and I decided to give it a chance. I knew the name from Travis Smiths site. Love his work by the way...

..and now I'm hooked. Got Viva Emptiness two days ago, and it will easily make my top 5 of this year..

So if I love these two albums.. which one should I get next? A short description of all their other albums would be awesome!

We need to know what you like about Katatonia firstly, all of their albums are great, I would reccomend Discouraged ones or Dance Of December Souls, but I know the people in this forum, and you're gonna get the entire rack of albums reccomended before much time has passed

Katatonia is a highly personal thing, so fav. album varies from person to person, though all are going to mentioned (except the ep's)
BTW, welcome to the Katatonia forum!

Ergol The Ineffable said:
Katatonia is a highly personal thing, so fav. album varies from person to person, though all are going to mentioned (except the ep's)

Yeah, that's true. Personally, I would recommend Tonight's Decision as the next album.

Welcome, noren! :)

noren said:
Hi!
I'm a big fan of this kind of music and I have loved Opeth for a long time.. but somehow I have missed Katatonia. So a few weeks ago I found "Last fair deal.." for 50 Swedish Crowns and I decided to give it a chance. I knew the name from Travis Smiths site. Love his work by the way...

..and now I'm hooked. Got Viva Emptiness two days ago, and it will easily make my top 5 of this year..

So if I love these two albums.. which one should I get next? A short description of all their other albums would be awesome!

Hej Noren!
:wave:
Hur der dat?!

/Ivan

Hej ock välkommen!

I think you could go chronologically backwards and buy Tonight´s Decision, followed by Discouraged ones and then give a try to their old style with Brave Murder Day - a classic, a real masterpiece- and then Dance of December Souls... ah don´t forget the Eps, they are all great..I´m sure once you start listening to Katatonia you´ll end up buying everything they released, because every album is really good.

Yeah, I think you should buy Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones first and then try Brave Murder Day and Dance Of December Souls (which are my favourites), but you will like all of them, surely :)

Why do people keep comparing Opeth to Katatonia? The bands sound nothing alike, if Akerfeldt hadn't been on BMD and SOD no one would ever have put the two together... Katatonia is far more interesting than Opeth. :zzz: :puke:

panzerfaust_88 said:
Why do people keep comparing Opeth to Katatonia? The bands sound nothing alike, if Akerfeldt hadn't been on BMD and SOD no one would ever have put the two together... Katatonia is far more interesting than Opeth. :zzz: :puke:

People like you make me laugh because you cant see whats right in front of you. Dumbfuck. Anyway, no one comapired them so learn to read as well, but they are compairable in the way they go from mellow tone to heavy vise versa. Open your ears fucker and quit listening to that skinheaded panzerfaust shit and mabey youll see the similarities :devil: Also Akerfeldt is on more than just those two albums so get some facts next time before you try and rip man :D :wave:

Dead_Daylight said:
People like you make me laugh because you cant see whats right in front of you. Dumbfuck. Anyway, no one comapired them so learn to read as well, but they are compairable in the way they go from mellow tone to heavy vise versa. Open your ears fucker and quit listening to that skinheaded panzerfaust shit and mabey youll see the similarities :devil: Also Akerfeldt is on more than just those two albums so get some facts next time before you try and rip man :D :wave:

Maybe you'd like to enlighten me as to what other albums Akerfeldt is on? I don't give a shit about newer Katatonia, it all sounds the same to me. Anything after Tonight's Descision is rather boring in my eyes. Older Katatonia sounds NOTHING like any Opeth album, they have a style unto their own. I enjoy Opeth, but they lost me after Still Life. I'd much rather listen to Orchid or My Arms Your Hearse than their latest platter of crap. I have plenty of facts, believe me, I have been listening to both of these bands for over 5 years now. Oh, and that crack about my user ID is just lame, and does not in any way reflect my musical tastes.

panzerfaust_88 said:
Maybe you'd like to enlighten me as to what other albums Akerfeldt is on? I don't give a shit about newer Katatonia, it all sounds the same to me. Anything after Tonight's Descision is rather boring in my eyes. Older Katatonia sounds NOTHING like any Opeth album, they have a style unto their own. I enjoy Opeth, but they lost me after Still Life. I'd much rather listen to Orchid or My Arms Your Hearse than their latest platter of crap. I have plenty of facts, believe me, I have been listening to both of these bands for over 5 years now. Oh, and that crack about my user ID is just lame, and does not in any way reflect my musical tastes.

1: Akerfeldt is on all albums by them. He produces their lyrics at least on all albums and sings on alot of them.(New CD Excluded I dont have it yet so no facts to base on)

2: Oi motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bwahahahahahahahaha :D

Dead_Daylight said:
1: Akerfeldt is on all albums by them. He produces their lyrics at least on all albums and sings on alot of them.(New CD Excluded I dont have it yet so no facts to base on)

2: Oi motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bwahahahahahahahaha :D

Hahah, I don't think so, buddy. Jonas did the vocals on the demo, DoDS, For Funerals To Come, the clean vocals on Brave Murder Day, and the 2 tracks on the WAR compilation. Akerfeldt didn't start helping with lyrics until Discouraged ones, as far as I know, and he certainly did not produce any lyrics on the earlier material. And please, stop with your childish comments... Obviously I am not a skinhead, not that that's any of your business...