New Jackson RR24

Nah, i dont mean that.
When you (for example) have all strings tuned, except the E strings wich has to go 1 step higher. When you wind the low E string, the floyd moves from position. And the other 5 strings are out of tune. So when you tune the other 5 strings correctly, the E strings is out of tune again.

what are you talking about?1 step higer?do you mean that you tune (6th to 1st)DADGBE(or in normal words dropped D tuning)?in that case you'd be tuning the 6th one step down.as you say the tuning would be FADGBE,and I this would be quite an unusual tuning,as ,for example,to play a power chord you'd have to play (6th,5th,4th) frets 1,5,5,for example.I assume that you'd be playing dropped D tunning,and in that case it's better to take the 6th string of more gauge(for a 009-042 change to a 009-046 or 009-052 and for a 010-046 a 010-52 or a 010-56),because with the dropped tunnings what happens is that the 6th string has less tenssion compared to the others,and to avoid that,is usual to get the 6th string of extra gauge so when you tune all the strings have similar tension and the 6th string doesn't ''dance'' whenever you play it or keep getting out of tune.

btw,warheart,which guitar do you have?because I've got an Ibanez RG370DX(edge III I think)and maybe it is because of the low quiality of the floyd,but even if I use the exact same tunning and string gauges when tuning,it's impossible to have the tunning fixed before an hour(including playing and doing a lot of tremolo and bend stuf to get them properly in tenssion).

What I mean is, did you take ALL the strings off ALL AT ONCE

I do that EVERYTIME. I always take the floyd rose out of the guitar (physically) and take it all apart (saddles and all), give it thorough cleaning and screw everything back together and put the floyd back into guitar. All in all, the guitar is without the strings for about an hour or more if I also polish the frets, and there is NEVER any damage done to the guitar. I put the the strings back on, stretch them and tune them up to pitch. Floyd is NEVER out of balance and I NEVER have to set intonation or ANYTHING else on the floyd rose. Guitar is automatically set-up perfect. NO DAMAGE AT ALL. That is ofcourse if I restring the floyd with the same gauge and brand string. If not, then it needs some minor adjustments, but it's not a big deal. The whole floyd thing is pretty easy to understand..just look at it and you'll se how it works ;).

its funny cause i played the red one back in august. it was pretty beastly. but one jacson v is enough for me. holy shit that rymed. im saving for the alexi 600 ESP.:headbang:

I do that EVERYTIME. I always take the floyd rose out of the guitar (physically) and take it all apart (saddles and all), give it thorough cleaning and screw everything back together and put the floyd back into guitar. All in all, the guitar is without the strings for about an hour or more if I also polish the frets, and there is NEVER any damage done to the guitar. I put the the strings back on, stretch them and tune them up to pitch. Floyd is NEVER out of balance and I NEVER have to set intonation or ANYTHING else on the floyd rose. Guitar is automatically set-up perfect. NO DAMAGE AT ALL. That is ofcourse if I restring the floyd with the same gauge and brand string. If not, then it needs some minor adjustments, but it's not a big deal. The whole floyd thing is pretty easy to understand..just look at it and you'll se how it works ;).
How often do you change your strings? I change them every 3 months or so, depending on activity.
IMO its useless to get the bridge out of the guitar and clean it.

And i've said it before. When i intonated the guitar and balance the floyd, i changed it to a DIFFERENT tuning and DIFFERENT gauge and DIFFERENT brand.

I did NOT say you ARE damaging your guitar.
Arvoitus said:
And i've heard, that if you remove all your tension from your neck by removing the strings. You could damage your neck. But i really dont know this for sure.
I didnt state it, i said it COULD be but i dont know for sure. So dont blaim me that i said it.

what are you talking about?1 step higer?do you mean that you tune (6th to 1st)DADGBE(or in normal words dropped D tuning)?in that case you'd be tuning the 6th one step down.as you say the tuning would be FADGBE,and I this would be quite an unusual tuning,as ,for example,to play a power chord you'd have to play (6th,5th,4th) frets 1,5,5,for example.I assume that you'd be playing dropped D tunning,and in that case it's better to take the 6th string of more gauge(for a 009-042 change to a 009-046 or 009-052 and for a 010-046 a 010-52 or a 010-56),because with the dropped tunnings what happens is that the 6th string has less tenssion compared to the others,and to avoid that,is usual to get the 6th string of extra gauge so when you tune all the strings have similar tension and the 6th string doesn't ''dance'' whenever you play it or keep getting out of tune.
No, i dont mean that.

Look, if you just changed your strings on your FR guitar.
Your strings arent on tension, so they are (FOR EXAMPLE) an octave below.
1. You tune your high E string, so it is on tune.
2. You tune the other E/A/D/G/B strings.
3. And when you check out the high E string again it is out of tune.
4. So you tune the high E string again.
5. And when you check the other E/A/D/G/B strings, they are out of tune AGAIN.
6. So then you keep tuning and keep tuning and keep tuning, untill it dont gets out of tune.

My method:
1. Remove only the high E string, and replace it with a new one.
2. Tune the high E string.
3. Then remove the B string, replace the B string and tune the B string.
4. Then remove the G string, replace the G string and tune the G string.
5. Etc, etc.

I dont care how YOU do it, but this method works the best for me.

^ 3 months? Do you use super strings or something? That's a LONG ASS time, though I change my strings like every other week because the humidity where I live fucks them up pretty quickly.

^ 3 months? Do you use super strings or something? That's a LONG ASS time, though I change my strings like every other week because the humidity where I live fucks them up pretty quickly.
It depends, mostly it is 2 or 3 months.
I dont play gigs, and i play 5 till 10 hours a week.

I change them when i dont like the tone anymore.
The life of your strings depends on how you play, sweat, if you clean them etc.

How often do you change your strings? I change them every 3 months or so, depending on activity.

About 4-5 months, I use only coated strings (like Elixirs) because they last longer without rusting. Humidity fucks up strigs here quick too :erk:.

But I take the floyd out of the guitar (with the strings still on) about every 3 months so I can clean and oil the fretboard. I play around 20 hours a week.

IMO its useless to get the bridge out of the guitar and clean it.

It's everything but useless. 1.) You clean all the dirt out from the bridge 2.) You take everything apart and oil all the screws and other parts. This needs to be done every know and then (I do it twice a year). If not, you'll have one dirty, rusty, ugly looking floyd. Especially if it's gold plated, those are the hardest to maintain.

My method:
1. Remove only the high E string, and replace it with a new one.
2. Tune the high E string.
3. Then remove the B string, replace the B string and tune the B string.
4. Then remove the G string, replace the G string and tune the G string.
5. Etc, etc.

I dont care how YOU do it, but this method works the best for me.

How do you clean the fretboard then? If you don't, I would't to play your guitar. Fretboards get dirty over the time, no matter how well you wash your hands before playing.

I did NOT say you ARE damaging your guitar.

I did not say you did ;).

Nah, i dont mean that.
When you (for example) have all strings tuned, except the E strings wich has to go 1 step higher. When you wind the low E string, the floyd moves from position. And the other 5 strings are out of tune. So when you tune the other 5 strings correctly, the E strings is out of tune again.

tune your E overly sharp (or flat, depending), tune the others sharp getting progressively smaller... i feel like im repeating myself.

Nazgul said:
About 4-5 months, I use only coated strings (like Elixirs) because they last longer without rusting. Humidity fucks up strigs here quick too .

But I take the floyd out of the guitar (with the strings still on) about every 3 months so I can clean and oil the fretboard. I play around 20 hours a week.

i piecemeal when they break till i can't stand it anymore and change them all, unless I'm performing.

however that's only for early breaks, i.e. within the first month. otherwise, yeah 3-4 months, DR 10-52 ftw.

I dont change strings that often...only when i see them getting really fucked up and/or they start to sound shitty.

tune your E overly sharp (or flat, depending), tune the others sharp getting progressively smaller... i feel like im repeating myself.
You could do that indeed, but that is a way i'm trying to avoid. I just change them one by one.

It's everything but useless. 1.) You clean all the dirt out from the bridge 2.) You take everything apart and oil all the screws and other parts. This needs to be done every know and then (I do it twice a year). If not, you'll have one dirty, rusty, ugly looking floyd. Especially if it's gold plated, those are the hardest to maintain.
Its pretty useless to do that every time you change the strings. In my case that would be every 2/3 months. A guy demonstrated it on my guitar a half year ago, and he said normally you could do it every year.

How do you clean the fretboard then? If you don't, I would't to play your guitar. Fretboards get dirty over the time, no matter how well you wash your hands before playing.
I always clean my fretboard and strings after i played. Thats also good for your strings.

I did not say you did .
Im sorry, misunderstand ;)

there's nothing wrong with getting the floyd completely out of the guitar sometimes,so as has been said you can clean it well and remove al the dirt that gets inside the cavity of the floyd and on the cavity of the springs.it just takes a bit longer after that to retune,but it doesn't harm the guitar.

there's nothing wrong with getting the floyd completely out of the guitar sometimes,so as has been said you can clean it well and remove al the dirt that gets inside the cavity of the floyd and on the cavity of the springs.it just takes a bit longer after that to retune,but it doesn't harm the guitar.
True, but i dont need to be done every 3 months.

Its pretty useless to do that every time you change the strings. In my case that would be every 2/3 months. A guy demonstrated it on my guitar a half year ago, and he said normally you could do it every year.

Well, you gotta point there. It depends on how much you play and sweat too. I play more than you. And what kind of finish has the hardware. On my black floyd rose, I didn't take it apart for about a half a year now and it's still ok :) (I will this weekend though), but on the gold floyd I had on my RR-J2SP I had to do it every 3 months or so cause dirt was really visible and because the gold plating is really shitty on ALL guitar hardware (no matter the price) I did it to prevent more rusting and corroding.

I always clean my fretboard and strings after i played. Thats also good for your strings.

I do that too, doesn't help much. I must say that I play on ebony boards only and the dirt becomes visible REALLY fast on them. Rosewood fretboard color and grain covers some of the visible dirt ;).

Im sorry, misunderstand ;)

No problem :).