New Maiden single

Naw dude, I shit right. It's true that most musicians reach their sell-by date, but Dicksinson is not there yet. I get it if you don't dig his style, but for a dude who professes to like several Dickinson-era Maiden albums your present conclusion doesn't make any sense because his voice is as strong as ever and his style hasn't changed. You haven't learned yet that when you tire of a band it doesn't necessarily mean the band is tired, but perhaps when you get a little older and you have followed bands longer than your 23-24 years, you'll get what I am talking about.

first of all, im not "tired" of iron maiden. i just dont think their new material is very good at all. i still listen to older maiden fairly frequently. but regardless...even if i were tired of a band, i dont think that is any less justification for stating dickenson is done (which may be my reason for disliking the band...or is it cotton in my ears?) is any less valid than your still appreciation of the band being your justification to defend the worn out vocalist. lets just agree to disagree.

the song is very weak. i had some hope for maiden with brave new world (some songs on that album are pretty good. or at least i used to think so. it's been so long since i heard that album, too). dance of death was miserable from beginning to end. this new song would fit perfectly with the junk on dance of death. it's sad to watch maiden do this to themselves. bruce should have gone on with his solo career. his solo albums were more entertaining.

Okay, so I've given myself some time to listen, and it didn't help.

I want to like it. IM was my first experience with metal, and it pains me to see them suck.

The good: It's better than anything Blaze ever did. It's not as repetitive as some of their stuff (No More Lies).

The mediocre: It's got your run of the mill IM solos. Bruce sounds okay. I don't think he ought to retire yet. I am, however, kind of tired of hearing hm sing. I'm finding myself preferring Paul these days. Never thought that would happen.

The bad: Overlong. Weak material. Same sort of beginning they've been doing for years now. Very Ghost of the Navigator. Unexceptional lyrics. The song really doesn't go anywhere or excite.

I disagree with derbeder (a rare thing). Dance of Death wasn't all bad. Montsegur and Paschendale were pretty good. But I haven't listened in a long time. I've been off IM for a while. Didn't get the live album. I'm wondering if I'll see them when they come this way in October. I wonder if I'll buy the new album, particularly if this is the single they chose....:erk:

It sounds like a mix between Maiden and Bruce's solo records. It's alright. But I already own the first eight Maiden albums and pretty much think that covers my Maiden fix. I really don't think anything they will release in the future is going to top those albums. Respect for still making music after so many years, and I certainly would much rather see this in the charts than whatever god forsaken rubbish is actually in them now, but I won't be buying it.

It's not bad, it's just average, sounds like a mix between a Deep Purple ballad and Flight Icarus era Maiden, they've just sort of exhausted all their ideas. There's only so many themes you can draw from Dystopian fiction and old horror films.

NineFeetUnderground said:
first of all, im not "tired" of iron maiden. i just dont think their new material is very good at all. i still listen to older maiden fairly frequently. but regardless...even if i were tired of a band, i dont think that is any less justification for stating dickenson is done (which may be my reason for disliking the band...or is it cotton in my ears?) is any less valid than your still appreciation of the band being your justification to defend the worn out vocalist. lets just agree to disagree.

fair enough.

edit: I don't think their newer material ranks with their best; this new track is overlong for starters. I thought Maiden were done during the Blaze-era, what has happened since has been a pleasant surprise to this long-time fan because they still make music I enjoy. I liken the latter albums to Yes' Magnifcation and The Ladder. Good, but not great, but still worthy of a listen.

The Ladder is a very good record, with the exception of "Finally", which I can't stand. The Ladder was also a very nice recovery from the awful mess that was Open Your Eyes. I think Magnification is even stronger, minus that Soft as a Dove song.

I too was impressed and encouraged by Brave New World. The lineup was solid and the record was quite progressive. But Dance of Death was basically "Brave New World 2 - the songs that didn't make it the first time" and I am worried about this next record too. The single really didn't do much for me.

Is there any word on a follow-up DVD to "The Early Years"? I found that to be very entertaining and thorough, and I would enjoy seeing a Part II.

Agreed. Brave New World, if you ask me, was their best album - every song is at least good, and I'd say 8 of 10 are excellent (don't like The Fallen Angel or The Thin Line Between Love and Hate too much). As for Dance of Death, I feel like about half the songs were really well done, and the other half were kinda half-assed - perfect example, New Frontiers.

I think everyone's worrying too much based on the single. After all, the single for Ghost Reveries was TGC, which, whether you liked the rest of the album or not, completely sucked. They haven't put out a studio album since 2003, I don't think they'll have mediocre songs like on Dance of Death - well, except for that one.

And NFU, can you elaborate as to why you think Dickinson should retire? I think his voice and his delivery and everything is stronger than it had ever been before Brave New World.

Dickinson's own solo band is better than Maiden right now, but I think his voice is still strong. His powerful performance on Chemical Wedding proved that, though Tyranny of Souls was a bit of a letdown.