New Maiden single

I also was quite impressed with Bruce's voice last time I saw them.

Personally I haven't really liked anything they've done since Powerslave. The early years were grand, but that tends to be the case for alot of bands.

nfu in the rush thread said:
i pretty much agree with everything you just said Abhorsen. however i would like to point out that it seems once these bands (and their members) hit that 30 year mark...i think they just want to have some fun with what they like to do. Even Yes and King Crimson at this point arent really "progressing", just dabbling further in a sound they already established long ago. So for Rush's case, i think they just want to rock and roll, and have a good time, and make some still relevant and decent, but not necessarily groundbreaking music. Rush has what, 17 studio records under their belt now? I cant fault them for not making something entirely new still...at 50+ years old. And like you said, their live performances are still among the best you will EVER see, with TONS of old and classic material for everyone to enjoy...so really its all good.
replace rush with maiden and prog with heavy metal, and those statements remain valid, with the mention that rush are ~5 years ahead.
think about it ;)

prowlergrig said:
replace rush with maiden and prog with heavy metal, and those statements remain valid, with the mention that rush are ~5 years ahead.
think about it ;)

in your opinion. i enjoyed vapor trails. it was heavier than anything theyd ever done and had some quality tracks in its own right. and geddys voice is probably at its most "classic" sounding and accessible as its ever been. maiden just keeps churning out the same melodies and riffs over and over again. not to mention dickenson's increasingly drab and painful vocals these days.

nine feet and I have already agreed to disagree here, but I think prowler has a valid point here. There is a degree of subjectivity involved that should be appreciated and at the end of the day, if you dig it, it's all good. To my ears, latter-era Bruce Maiden is on a par with what Rush is doing on Test for Echo and Vapor Trails, which I listened to again today btw, see epic upcoming post in the Rush thread.

Kerrang seems to like the new album. I stopped reading Kerrang after they did a story on Marillion and Fish ages ago:

http://www.ironmaiden.com/Kerrang050806.jpg

Yeah, I saw that article on the Maiden website. I'm interested.

I've since given Ben Breeg another shot, and I have to admit it's growing on me. Particularly the middle section. The vocals seem a bit to restrained and tired, actually, now that I give it a good listen. I'm hoping the rest of the disc delivers in the way Kerrang seems to think it does.

yep i also agree to disagree, but i just found that an interesting point...
btw, kerrang have said the same thing basically about dod. it's cool to kiss maiden's ass nowadays

new song on ironmaiden.com, the 'rocking' opener ... nothing special :erk: ..i still have some hope for some of the epics

prowlergrig said:
yep i also agree to disagree, but i just found that an interesting point...
btw, kerrang have said the same thing basically about dod. it's cool to kiss maiden's ass nowadays

new song on ironmaiden.com, the 'rocking' opener ... nothing special :erk: ..i still have some hope for some of the epics

Listening to it now. It's pretty average. Better than "Wildest Dreams" imo, but that's not too hard. It's certainly no "Where Eagles Dare", "Aces High", or even "Wicker Man". I'm still hopeful...

Abhorsen said:
Wicker Man is a really cool song. Off to listen to new tune.

Got me interested in the movie, which, though weird (and sort of a musical...:erk: ) is really quite good. There's a remake coming out w/ Nick Cage that is bound to overdo the horror and be pretty bad. Just a guess.

this one ain't horrible. it is also nothing special. it's got some not-so-standard-maiden feel to it at the beginning (the main riff there), but the song gets weak by the middle. i have to admit that bruce can't sing well on the songs on this album. he was way better in brave new world. i like x-factor way better than this new album.

i just heard "different world". it's just so unremarkable. i am sorry to announce that the new maiden is worse than dance of death, which is hard to top in that respect (for maiden) really.