New Sinergy Album?

Well Alexi is just a cool shredder guy who knows what kind of music sounds good. You couldn't demand him to play like a robot like Steve Vai or something.. Without his lifestyle he wouldn't be making this good music.. He's skilled enough.

Great, then post a video or something, the only reason many people feel the way they do about Alexi's playing is because they have either seen him recently (as I have) or have seen recent live videos that are less than impressive. It is not enough to say that you saw him and he was great. He was great when I saw him too, but he just is nowhere near as accurate as he used to be (have you ever seen the Tuska 2004 video or the 2001 Mystic Festival video? Completely flawless, breathtaking). Ever since he broke his arm, every video I see is less and less impressive...so please show me something new that shows us that he is still the best in the world, PLEASE!!

He never was best in the world. Well search on youtube. Bad thing is they suck in quality. But its true...he stopped whammying out his solos and played them like he shoud have playd em all along. Yes i have seen tuska 2003 and mystic festival. I know its great playing. But hes climbing up again it feels like. I must say i coudnt listen to the Young Guitar January 2006 DVD of him :S so bad.

Nevertheless...alexi has always been a great player. Btw evem TW wasnt perfect. Alexi actually left out the Bed of Razors Sweeps in the beginning of the solo...only keyboard played them. I actually found that pretty strange. Wonder why. This video creeps me out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IVmBL3FzNg&mode=related&search= i mean...LOOK AT THE PEOPLE. Where i was there was pits and damn pushing all the time. and an edit to me saying he didnt whammy out solos i meant that he doesnt whammy out his solos even half as much anymore. His SD pups surely made a difference too :)

As an avid fanboy I like to believe that it tells more about touring exhaustion (anyone up for 180 gigs in 13 months?) than his current skill level.

Check the dates for this years G3 tour. I didn't hear many mistakes in Paul Gilbert's or John Petrucci's set. ;)

Check the dates for this years G3 tour. I didn't hear many mistakes in Paul Gilbert's or John Petrucci's set. ;)

Indeed, usually playing that long makes you tighter. Symphony X was infinitely better at the end of their tour than at the beginning (I was at both the 1st and last show). I highly doubt that Alexi's rampant drinking and falling is making their playing and writing "better"

tw is alot better,everything is also faster too,he lacks in vocals to,in tw he almosts does full screams with no shortcuts
also they plau snbn a bit different too

faster isn't always better. besides SK had better quality recording, TW was muddier.

Well Alexi is just a cool shredder guy who knows what kind of music sounds good. You couldn't demand him to play like a robot like Steve Vai or something.. Without his lifestyle he wouldn't be making this good music.. He's skilled enough.

so a wild guess, you also think that slash can't make an album without alcohol either? :p

and if you think about it. he's been performing so long, that he just performs better. if that made any sense? i mean, stage presence is earned, it's not something that should be taken for granted.

and everybody, i mean, stop bitching so much about little mistakes. ITS A LIVE PERFORMANCE FOR A REASON. go buy the album if you want perfect playing. go buy the album if you want the exact same song EVERY time you play it. if you want the exact same solos, played just the way you like it, don't even bother seeing any band live. i mean, not to reiterate, but its live for a reason, and COB are among one of the best live bands that i know. so i mean, he fucked up ONE note. big deal. that's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. its still one hell of a performance (SK or Tokyo Warhearts or whatever). Frankly, I like live partly because i want to see what they're going to do with the songs outside of the studio. I want to see what alexi, or any of them for that matter, just wanna pull out of their ass. i mean, i do agree with joonas about the part that they're not robots, any of them.

and if you think about it. he's been performing so long, that he just performs better. if that made any sense? i mean, stage presence is earned, it's not something that should be taken for granted.

and everybody, i mean, stop bitching so much about little mistakes. ITS A LIVE PERFORMANCE FOR A REASON. go buy the album if you want perfect playing. go buy the album if you want the exact same song EVERY time you play it. if you want the exact same solos, etc. i mean, not to reiterate, but its live for a reason, and COB are among one of the best live bands that i know. so i mean, he fucked up ONE note. big deal. that's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. its still one hell of a performance (SK or Tokyo Warhearts).

I can say for granted that you do not play any instrument, which means you can never understand why some people are so picky about "small mistakes".
It's not about playing the same thing every time, but rather about having consistency in your playing. Alcohol and no practicing takes its toll on your playing, so no matter how much you still like Alexi, he is getting sloppier.

I can say for granted that you do not play any instrument, which means you can never understand why some people are so picky about "small mistakes".
It's not about playing the same thing every time, but rather about having consistency in your playing. Alcohol and no practicing takes its toll on your playing, so no matter how much you still like Alexi, he is getting sloppier.

Aaah you just said what i have been trying to say for a long time, but i got confused in words. Anyways, i play guitar everyday, and stuff.. Thing is that i am quite saddened at Alexi and Janne, werent they influenced by classical music way back? Isnt janne still interested in Mozart and Salieri? I have vague memories of the classical music being about musical perfection, the seeking and lust for perfectionism, music as an ART. Seems like they forgot that. Or was that during the baroque? Forgot i have.. No sense i make, pee i must, and so i shall.

you're a fucking dumb piece of shit :lol:

I own... four guitars, and a marshall stack.

I own alexi's signature esp.

I play classical as well as metal.

I play live gigs around town.

I play with a band.

and before you say it, yes i practice regularly.

so dont even go there :p

what you're expecting is a perfect show. there is no such thing. you should really get yourself a gig and then afterwards see if you can truly, honestly say, "i had a perfect performance." even an album isn't ever perfect. but that doesn't mean don't be satisfied with what you've accomplished. TW, SK, whatever, they're both kickass performances. so he missed a note. that's like saying, "my guitar got a tiny nick on it, time to throw it out its worthless."

edited for extraneous shit.

care to explain yourself?

i think thats just an immature jab to get a rise, because you really have nothing valid to say.

What are you, my mom? I dont care what you really think is immature or not, just so you know it.

Im just saying that as a guitarist myself, i strive to get "perfect" at guitar, and by perfect, i mean what i want to be able to play, and in the manner of cleanness i want. I for one, am not satisfied with what i accomplish, thus i get mad, and practice harder, its my way of learning, so to speak.

So when i see Alexi, who i bet everyone has seen playing his solos start mudding them up with crappier tone(he has said that he's not satisfied with the tones his new guitars give him, so i guess i can blame esp for that), wrong notes, and whatnot, i get frustrated because usually a guitarist gets better with the years, whilst he has begun his downfall already, and he's what, 28 now? Compared to other guitar artists in his country (like for eksample, the now 29 year old Jari Mäenpää) Alexi is turning sloppy, and that note is a small example of that. He uses shortcuts i recognize on youtube videos by teenagers that try to play 16ths over 200 bpm after 4 months of playing.

Just recently i watched that "Betcha cant play this" thingy, and well. If you remember, its a Pentatonic scale tapping lick, where its 4 notes per string, yet he doesn't hit every note perfect. Why is this such a big deal you ask? Well its simple, because a guitar artist of his calibre, should be able to nail that lick without hitting wrong notes. There are many examples, of solos he could nail before, but are now threequarter assed. Im not saying he's completely lost his skills, im saying he's degenerating from the level of playing he had in say, 2001, to take a year.

Also, why should one expect less of a live show than an album? If you can't nail your own songs live, then i say one should tone down a bit. I think lives should be loaded with BETTER playing than the album.

So, Alexi is a great guitar player, but not as great as he used to be, so that, is what annoys me.

What are you, my mom? I dont care what you really think is immature or not, just so you know it.

Im just saying that as a guitarist myself, i strive to get "perfect" at guitar, and by perfect, i mean what i want to be able to play, and in the manner of cleanness i want. I for one, am not satisfied with what i accomplish, thus i get mad, and practice harder, its my way of learning, so to speak.

So when i see Alexi, who i bet everyone has seen playing his solos start mudding them up with crappier tone(he has said that he's not satisfied with the tones his new guitars give him, so i guess i can blame esp for that), wrong notes, and whatnot, i get frustrated because usually a guitarist gets better with the years, whilst he has begun his downfall already, and he's what, 28 now? Compared to other guitar artists in his country (like for eksample, the now 29 year old Jari Mäenpää) Alexi is turning sloppy, and that note is a small example of that. He uses shortcuts i recognize on youtube videos by teenagers that try to play 16ths over 200 bpm after 4 months of playing.

Just recently i watched that "Betcha cant play this" thingy, and well. If you remember, its a Pentatonic scale tapping lick, where its 4 notes per string, yet he doesn't hit every note perfect. Why is this such a big deal you ask? Well its simple, because a guitar artist of his calibre, should be able to nail that lick without hitting wrong notes. There are many examples, of solos he could nail before, but are now threequarter assed. Im not saying he's completely lost his skills, im saying he's degenerating from the level of playing he had in say, 2001, to take a year.

Also, why should one expect less of a live show than an album? If you can't nail your own songs live, then i say one should tone down a bit. I think lives should be loaded with BETTER playing than the album.

So, Alexi is a great guitar player, but not as great as he used to be, so that, is what annoys me.

Please, stfu. I'm getting tired of people saying "Oh my god, Alexi is getting sloppy, can't play shit" type stuff. Who fucking cares! No one cares that you are a guitarist, no one cares about your opinion, and no one cares about you bitching about the subject.

In the Betcha can't play this Guitar World vid, Alexi adds a major 3rd on purpose. Though this is aside the point, I thought I should correct you. Yes, Alexi can't play as clean anymore, whether it be the alcohol or plan lack of commitment and dedication.

I also think you sparked this debate/discussion by making a remark toward shredtastical claiming he wouldn't understand your point of view because he isn't a musician. You posted in the tab thread and you must have seen his name in there somewhere. He was claiming a live performer should be allowed to improvise and fuck up sometimes, not just stand still on stage without any presence. As far as the TW vs SK debate, we all know TW was a much better performance, not to mention a much better set list.

EDIT - Another thing to add is that Alexi IS NOT a virtuoso. He is not Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, or Paul Gilbert. Accept him for what he is. He is a metal guitarist. People expect to much from him and kiss his dick all the time. Same goes for the guy from Necrophagist. Not amazing, just good.

Please, stfu. I'm getting tired of people saying "Oh my god, Alexi is getting sloppy, can't play shit" type stuff. Who fucking cares! No one cares that you are a guitarist, no one cares about your opinion, and no one cares about you bitching about the subject.

If you really didnt care you wouldnt answer, so nigga, please.

In the Betcha can't play this Guitar World vid, Alexi adds a major 3rd on purpose. Though this is aside the point, I thought I should correct you. Yes, Alexi can't play as clean anymore, whether it be the alcohol or plan lack of commitment and dedication.
Please prove that he adds the major 3rd on purpose.

I also think you sparked this debate/discussion by making a remark toward shredtastical claiming he wouldn't understand your point of view because he isn't a musician. You posted in the tab thread and you must have seen his name in there somewhere. He was claiming a live performer should be allowed to improvise and fuck up sometimes, not just stand still on stage without any presence. As far as the TW vs SK debate, we all know TW was a much better performance, not to mention a much better set list.

I did not make a remark towards shredtastical claiming that he isnt a musician. Stop accusing me for stuff i havent said. Now also, of fucking course one should not stand still on stage, who the heck wants to watch a band stand there and look like some fucking statues playing mechanical, but this doesnt mean that you should fuck up and dont give a damn about how you play, balance is good, people like good music, not squeaking and obvious mistakes several times in a row. now improvisation im pro, i dont care if he changes the solos live, its his damn solos, he can play them however he likes, but its really weird if he fucks up the amount he has been doing lately.

EDIT - Another thing to add is that Alexi IS NOT a virtuoso. He is not Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, or Paul Gilbert. Accept him for what he is. He is a metal guitarist. People expect to much from him and kiss his dick all the time. Same goes for the guy from Necrophagist. Not amazing, just good.

Another thing to add is that Alexi was well on his way to becoming a virtuoso, he'd be way up there if he didnt fall for the "Sex drugs and rocken lol" stuff and break every bone in his arms or whatever.

My mistake, it is not a major 3rd but a F# on the b string, which is the ninth in the key of E. The run is based on a E minor pentatonic with that note added in.

wtf, i cant believe im even wasting my time replying.

If you really didnt care you wouldnt answer, so nigga, please.

stop with the immature racial slurs, stop trying to act tough, and if you were a gangster you obviously wouldn't be here whining about like 2 notes alexi played wrong in one song, so enough said.

Please prove that he adds the major 3rd on purpose.

because thats totally the way to ASK for something that is easily accessible in the first place. do you even read guitar world? exact quotation from the april '06 issue (yes i actually dug through my issues for this):

GW: You aslo mentioned adding the major third to minor pentatonic licks.

Laiho: Yeah. In the key of E, G# is the major third. I like to use it along with the minor third, G, like this [Figure 4]. I'll aslo bend to G# from G. Another cool thing is to add the chromatic notes that fall between the sale tones like this...

I did not make a remark towards shredtastical claiming that he isnt a musician. Stop accusing me for stuff i havent said. Now also, of fucking course one should not stand still on stage, who the heck wants to watch a band stand there and look like some fucking statues playing mechanical, but this doesnt mean that you should fuck up and dont give a damn about how you play, balance is good, people like good music, not squeaking and obvious mistakes several times in a row. now improvisation im pro, i dont care if he changes the solos live, its his damn solos, he can play them however he likes, but its really weird if he fucks up the amount he has been doing lately.

No, actually Inhe did. but does it matter? you yourself said, "Aaah you just said what i have been trying to say for a long time, but i got confused in words." Stop pulling the elitist musician attitude. Just because I don't share your point of view doesn't mean im an inferior being who OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what he's talking about. And the fact that you're claiming your a pro at improv basically contradicts your previous statement that your "never satisfied" with your current work, and always "striving for perfection." get over yourself.

Another thing to add is that Alexi was well on his way to becoming a virtuoso, he'd be way up there if he didnt fall for the "Sex drugs and rocken lol" stuff and break every bone in his arms or whatever.

i've said before. there's a difference between "bad songwriting" and "bad guitar playing." if you actually took the time to listen to Tie My Rope, alexi hasn't lost any of his speed/technique/whatever, he's just more loose on stage. like altitudes said, it's not the National Beethoven convention. He's a metal guitarist, he just around runs around and fucks up. he's said in another interview, where he mentioned Chris Impelliterri (or however his name is spelled), that there's a point at which it gets "too fast." I just think it's his soloing style you're bashing on more than anything else. And wtf, only someone who has actually studied COB would know most of his mistakes. you're saying if you cant play it perfect don't bother. well whats the point then? nothing is perfect. try and enjoy the show, not pick it apart.

wtf, i cant believe im even wasting my time replying.

Dude its your choice, but hear what i have to say

stop with the immature racial slurs, stop trying to act tough, and if you were a gangster you obviously wouldn't be here whining about like 2 notes alexi played wrong in one song, so enough said.

It was a joke, im not trying to "act tough" because really, thats retarded. Whining about two notes alexi played wrong, well, it might seem like it, because i have worded myself like an ass, but basically, yeah..

because thats totally the way to ASK for something that is easily accessible in the first place. do you even read guitar world? exact quotation from the april '06 issue (yes i actually dug through my issues for this):

GW: You aslo mentioned adding the major third to minor pentatonic licks.

Laiho: Yeah. In the key of E, G# is the major third. I like to use it along with the minor third, G, like this [Figure 4]. I'll aslo bend to G# from G. Another cool thing is to add the chromatic notes that fall between the sale tones like this...

Aah, well then its ok, i dont get that magazine here, so i havent read it, just saw the vid on Youtube and i assumed it was a normal Pentatonic tap run, my mistake, sorry.

No, actually Inhe did. but does it matter? you yourself said, "Aaah you just said what i have been trying to say for a long time, but i got confused in words." Stop pulling the elitist musician attitude. Just because I don't share your point of view doesn't mean im an inferior being who OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what he's talking about. And the fact that you're claiming your a pro at improv basically contradicts your previous statement that your "never satisfied" with your current work, and always "striving for perfection." get over yourself.

Now this, is wrong, i said "im pro impro", as in "i think improvising is a good thing", i didnt mean to sound like im pro at anything guitar, because i dont claim that at all, i have only 3 years of guitar on my back, and i dont claim at being decent at guitar, although i claim that i'm going to be!

i've said before. there's a difference between "bad songwriting" and "bad guitar playing." if you actually took the time to listen to Tie My Rope, alexi hasn't lost any of his speed/technique/whatever, he's just more loose on stage. like altitudes said, it's not the National Beethoven convention. He's a metal guitarist, he just around runs around and fucks up. he's said in another interview, where he mentioned Chris Impelliterri (or however his name is spelled), that there's a point at which it gets "too fast." I just think it's his soloing style you're bashing on more than anything else. And wtf, only someone who has actually studied COB would know most of his mistakes. you're saying if you cant play it perfect don't bother. well whats the point then? nothing is perfect. try and enjoy the show, not pick it apart.

Yes, there is a difference in that, i have listened to Tie My Rope, but i didn't pay much attention to it, because i found it boring. Whether or not he has lost speed/technique/whatever on an album is partly irrelevant, seeing as he has a chance to play teh same parts over and over again, in order for it to sound correct. There is nothing wrong with his soloing style btw, i actually like it (used to hate it, all the diminished sweeping + pentatonic scales, but suddenly i found myself doing the same stuff, so i cant really complain, can i?)
About studying cob, im kinda guilty of that, because i have to admit, i was a huuuuuuge fan, like, REALLY huge, alexi laiho was my greatest hero and bla bla bla, you know the deal. Reason i react so much towards his eh, latest "downfall" in playing, is because he was the very reason i started playing guitar AND listening to metal, so he was an idol to me, I felt he let ME down, because i was a turd(i awakened so im not lol anymore), but still some of that eh, feeling of getting let down still sticks in me.

I enjoy the show while picking it apart. Its sort of an hobby, and as a human, i hate that i love to criticize and be unhappy, but isnt that the way of humanity?
As you may notice i am backing down in most of my statements, if it doesnt show, well then im openly admitting it now, why? Because i was taking a dump and it got me thinking, so yeah, there ya have it.

Thank you, sums up everything beautifully, doesn't it?

Well, its a matter of opinion, some(like me) enjoy picking music apart, i can, and i will.. I feel i get a greater understanding of it, its not because i wanna be an arse, its because i want to understand it better. Whether or not it makes me understand it better, i cant really prove, but its a habit, and i cant really help it

What are these late mistakes in Alexi's playing some of you keep mentioning? I saw CoB in Tuska this year and his playing was great. Some of my friends saw them at Ruisrock too, and told that the performance was on a par with the Tuska gig. So where did these late fuckups actually happen?

try and enjoy the show, not pick it apart.
I guess people appreciate different things, but I'm 100% behind this.

I also saw CoB at this year's Tuska (never been before - it was great). Alexi and all of CoB put on an excellent performance - well worth the rather costly round trip from England.