Next Testament CD

Listening to a copy of Live at Dynamo now. It's okay, but I think it's far from Testament quality, even for 20 years old. I think the vocals are too low and the sound in general only marginally better than most YT videos.

I haven't got a physical copy but given the number of Live at Dynamo shows coming out at the moment I'm not overly convinced these are official releases even when they are being sold from the Nuclear Blast website. I was considering getting this and the Kreator live at dynamo shows but I don't think I'd bother after listening to this. Considering there is a 53 minute set for Testament Live At Dynamo 2000 on YT I think I'd settle for that rather than paying for these dynamo series unless you're a die hard must have everything including the turd Chuck backed out after breakfast type of person.

Reactions: redfly
You will get it cheaper than me, to buy it locally on CD here is $23, for 8 old songs that's not worth it.
To me it sounds like Dynamo recorded all these bands and have now worked out a deal to sell them. They sound like they were not entirely pro-recorded (definitely not shitty but not a show specifically set up to be recorded). There is nothing wrong with it as such but I'm pretty sure you'll find better live recordings of all 8 songs.

Okay I'm going to reassess what I said the other day.

I had another listen to the live EP. I'm still going with the idea that Dynamo are releasing all these and the band may or may not have much to do with them (partly because there was another 3 Dynamo releases I saw this week alone). However I am going to say that I might have been a little harsh in my first judgement. The songs sound good, the band sounds pretty tight, Chuck does sound good. But there is a let down and that is that it's recorded low, reminds me very much of the old tape recorder to tape recorder dubbing we had to do back in the 80's with two machines sitting facing each other. It worked but there always felt like a distance in the sound on the play back because the microphones in the tape decks were picking up all background sound. I know this is a 20 year old recording but I do still expect better sound than. I expect to hear Chuck singing, not singing from the other end of a tunnel. 20 years ago I'd have been stoked with a recording like this but today I think they could remaster some of the shit out of the background while still keep the true concert sound of the band.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Yeah they remaster everything else it seems weird to put something like this out untouched. I was interested in the Kreator one but I really don't think I will bother. I remember the Dynamo shows being something really popular, and Sacred Reich alive at Dynamo which was released 20 odd years ago was a popular album but even that doesn't have this tunnel effect on the vox that Testament does.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I did see both the other day when I picked up the new Death Angel but passed for the very same reason .

No drummer/patched together cover is one of the reasons I'm sure these aren't official.
I saw something somewhere that claimed "dynamo" was the label. I'm guessing FRET is part of that.
Yeah 8 tracks is all you get, no idea if that's the entire show but there it's 40ish minutes and there was a Dynamo set from 3 years later on YT which is 53 mins so maybe it was all they did.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly