Next Testament CD

Well, I am delighted. I wouldn't change a single chord or drum beat in this album, I believe what amazes me the most is that the band sounds incredibly prolific, and you wouldn't expect anybody to sound this fresh and full of ideas after 26 years. They just sound so damn tight and confident :headbang:

I got it! Had to take a break from work to get to the only independent metal store near (that got the record 3 days before the "release date") me while it was still open, the regular rain turned into deluge on my way there, so my suit and shoes are all wet (luckily the album didn't get damaged), but it was totally worth it. I'm on my knees! Brilliant album start to finish, everything fits and I was awestruck from the get-go.

Watching the DVD right now (I'd have played the shit out of the record first, but my wife wanted to check the dvd out so I gave it a shot, which is funny as I haven't still watched the FoD dvd - never really cared for stuff like that, but I guess I could now start to) and it's actually very good (although I would have chosen a better recorded show and perhaps other songs than those that have made it to just about every show in the past 20 years).

Ok, time to get myself engrossed in this masterpiece.

Enjoy it! I bought the 2 LP version via Amazon, and after I did I realized it will be released until August 15th... waiting 3 or 4 more weeks for the LP seems like a medieval torture now :cry: but probably I'll buy the CD/DVD version in one of our local metal stores (there are like 5 or 6 in my city).

My Japanese pressing is now in the "shipping process" and I should get a notification tonight or tomorrow that it shipped. Also saw that the first pressings come with a sticker, so that's another bonus right there. I'm still shocked as hell though that the Japanese pressing is only coming with the re-recording of "Practice" (I tweeted Alex and he confirmed it is a re-recording) and not coming with any of the cover songs. Oh well, I still bought the US deluxe so I'm good on that front.

My Japanese pressing is now in the "shipping process" and I should get a notification tonight or tomorrow that it shipped. Also saw that the first pressings come with a sticker, so that's another bonus right there. I'm still shocked as hell though that the Japanese pressing is only coming with the re-recording of "Practice" (I tweeted Alex and he confirmed it is a re-recording) and not coming with any of the cover songs. Oh well, I still bought the US deluxe so I'm good on that front.

So I wasn't wrong........

Well,I guess I missed out on a sticker and Preach.But I think I made the right decision...for me.
Let us know what Preach is like!

Yeah I would have loved to have gone to that!

So far,,(and I haven't put a lot of time at home into it yet, and in the car I keep playing Rise Up and True American Hate over and over)It's a really good album.There are a lot of things they did that I had hoped they would.Longer deeper songs more nuances.Alex definitely dug deeper on this one.Chucks voice is really good,I thought at times on TFOD that his voice was too high,almost Zetro-ish.Now it sounds more like his original voice mixed with the Gathering and Low...and dare I say a little bit like Hetfield at times? In a good way of course.Hell someone should take advantage of that sound,Hetfield sure isn't lol.
I love Gregs bass tone and it's pretty easy to hear what he's playing even with everything else going on.The drums are very good.Of course.But non of it really sounds to me like it had to be Gene.They seem a little more reserved at times than I would have thought from Gene or Eric.
There are also some surprises.I always wanted more from Eric,and I never realized how much that might change the sound.He throws in a lot of bluesy licks that I wasn't expecting and since he and Alex are harmonizing more ,and on some of it instead of using a third guitar for rhythm, it's just them together.They have done this before but not for as long and to me it makes it sound a little more Iron Maiden -ish.
Also the slow song (cold Embrace?) they took that really far with some of the vocals. None of these things are bad.They are just surprises to me.
I definitely hear The ritual album peppered through out.Either in the form of little bits from Alex and Eric and also a few words here and there as well as vocal melodies.All for the benefit I think.We all know Testament is too talented to copy themselves.
I've only listened to it all the way through twice.So far I'm really loving the title track.And I look forward to drowning myself in this album.

what about you? what do you think?

P.S. I reserve the right to change my mind about any and all of this as time goes by :saint: :heh:

I love it. The songs are strong, there's a lot of melody and heavy parts. I've always liked the ballads they've done so I was excited when they mentioned in interviews that there would be one. The album sounds better the more you listen to it. I think the only complaint I have is that the kick drums could be a bit higher in the mix. The drums don't sound quite as powerful as they could (aka The Gathering), but it's a minor complaint. The cover art is great and should make for some good shirts. I just hope we don't have another 4 year wait for the next record.

I agree about the drums...and everything else lol
I've been trying to find a poster of the cover,but so far no luck.When they first showed the cover I thought it was cool but
it didn't feel like testament to me.Now I like it a lot.

Yeah, the color scheme, with muted tones looks more in line with Dragonlord. Still, it's a beautiful cover.

Proshot of True American Hate live.......and it's not good :(

Chuck's voice is way off, and he's reading the lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't about way off.It's a little off.It is really soon though.I'm sure they will get better as it goes on.I wish alex would hold his guitar right,maybe he wouldn't fudge so much and be cleaner.
Thanks for posting it! I looked all last night and could only find Practice.

I've been trying to find a poster of the cover,but so far no luck.When they first showed the cover I thought it was cool but

Yeah, a full poster, not the 11 x14. I'd like one of the Formation cover too.

Ahh, I remember the days of having full blown posters of album art being available for sale. My friend had the Practice cover as a poster, I had Iron Maiden's 7th son and everyone back then had the Master of Puppets poster but that was back in the 80's when metal pretty much ruled the world and everyone was trying to make money off of it. Nowadays the only way you're getting it is by the 11x17 promo poster. Speaking of which, someone has the DROE signed promo poster on ebay and it's up to $36. Unbelievable.

I remember having this one as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/POSTER-MUSIC-TESTAMENT-IN-CONCERT-1990-FREE-SHIPPING-P7105-LW24-H-/150829981423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231e2adeef#ht_500wt_1361