Next Testament CD

He's got five songs for the next album? lol! and we'll see those when? He had a song left over from
DROE (the best song) and this still took forever. Put them on the album! Why are they so damn rushed when the project actually starts all the time? That's their big reason why Souls isn't what they wanted because they wanted to tour and 26 years later they're still doing it. And no time to jam?! Come on!
Don't get me wrong I trust Eric but we've got such a huge line up here. Make the most of it. The touring offers aren't going anywhere.

Was that harsh? I'm just a greedy fan.
I just want music!

Last edited:
Reactions: one man and Neptune
Redfly, you took the words out of my mouth. This interview raised my concerns too, because between the lines, it seems like Eric's trying to say "Hey, I've done what I could, but 4 years and Testament's goodwill/repute wasn't enough for the others to bother to verify my ideas and throw in their 2 cents like in the past, so don't blame me the record is just good, not great... but the new Dragonlord will be killer, 'cause that's where my heart's been at".

Obviously, I am exaggerating and I totally respect Eric for what he's done to make Testament and make it last, but I do get the impression that the interview, light and funny as it is, is an accusation that the other guys were too busy doing their stuff to contribute. On the other hand, Eric - although justifiably demanding recognition for carrying the Testament flag through the good and the bad - has probably done his part in making his current bandmates (other than Chuck) treat Testament as his own child and themselves as merely hired guns. We all know he can be a dictator (visioner, if you will) when it comes to setting musical directions for the band and probably wasn't always open enough for external ideas and good advice. So, what might have helped to keep Testament alive, may now well be blocking it's development into something greater than the world's best Thrash band.

That being said, I of course think TBoTS IS a great album, but it definitely would have benefited from a more group effort, especially given the amazing line up that we're lucky to have. Seriously, was there no time to sit down, the 5 of them, even during one of the countless tours, and throw some ideas against each other for a couple of hours? Can you imagine what Gene, Alex and Steve could come up with, had they had a chance to freely jam some jazz, blues and fusion, and have it all mixed in a thrash metal sauce? Eric could then find a way to incorporate it into or intertvine it with his ideas and song structures, and the result would surely be nothing short of spectacular.

Instead, it seems that in spite of the countless tours, the guys don't have much time to sit together and even talk about what places the music on the new album should go. Forgive me, but I can't resist the impression that they almost exclusively see each other on the stage, the tour bus is just for sleeping, while for the rest of the time it's either updating FB, instagram and/or twitter, writing music and booking shows for other bands, promoting the same through interviews, blogs, vlogs etc., hooking up with third parties for more projects and tours, running, golfing, interacting with friends and family, sightseeing, pursuing other hobbies and so on.

So, yeah, a mix of factors making Eric the sole writer and leaving us a tad more worried about the final outcome than usually.

Oh well, none of my business what the guys are doing in their spare time, of course, as they're all world class pros. And I'm probably too bitter, and these concerns - at least premature, if not totally ungrounded. And it is Eric, not just some other metal legend, so it absolutely won't be a subpar release. But still letting such a potential go down the drain (creation wise) kills me. Will the line up hold 'til next record deal and another album (that is, another 4 years and 25 tours)? I sure hope so, but experiene teaches otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Redfly, you took the words out of my mouth. This interview raised my concerns too, because between the lines, it seems like Eric's trying to say "Hey, I've done what I could, but 4 years and Testament's goodwill/repute wasn't enough for the others to bother to verify my ideas and throw in their 2 cents like in the past, so don't blame me the record is just good, not great... but the new Dragonlord will be killer, 'cause that's where my heart's been at".

Obviously, I am exaggerating and I totally respect Eric for what he's done to make Testament and make it last, but I do get the impression that the interview, light and funny as it is, is an accusation that the other guys were too busy doing their stuff to contribute. On the other hand, Eric - although justifiably demanding recognition for carrying the Testament flag through the good and the bad - has probably done his part in making his current bandmates (other than Chuck) treat Testament as his own child and themselves as merely hired guns. We all know he can be a dictator (visioner, if you will) when it comes to setting musical directions for the band and probably wasn't always open enough for external ideas and good advice. So, what might have helped to keep Testament alive, may now well be blocking it's development into something greater than the world's best Thrash band.

That being said, I of course think TBoTS IS a great album, but it definitely would have benefited from a more group effort, especially given the amazing line up that we're lucky to have. Seriously, was there no time to sit down, the 5 of them, even during one of the countless tours, and throw some ideas against each other for a couple of hours? Can you imagine what Gene, Alex and Steve could come up with, had they had a chance to freely jam some jazz, blues and fusion, and have it all mixed in a thrash metal sauce? Eric could then find a way to incorporate it into or intertvine it with his ideas and song structures, and the result would surely be nothing short of spectacular.

Instead, it seems that in spite of the countless tours, the guys don't have much time to sit together and even talk about what places the music on the new album should go. Forgive me, but I can't resist the impression that they almost exclusively see each other on the stage, the tour bus is just for sleeping, while for the rest of the time it's either updating FB, instagram and/or twitter, writing music and booking shows for other bands, promoting the same through interviews, blogs, vlogs etc., hooking up with third parties for more projects and tours, running, golfing, interacting with friends and family, sightseeing, pursuing other hobbies and so on.

So, yeah, a mix of factors making Eric the sole writer and leaving us a tad more worried about the final outcome than usually.

Oh well, none of my business what the guys are doing in their spare time, of course, as they're all world class pros. And I'm probably too bitter, and these concerns - at least premature, if not totally ungrounded. And it is Eric, not just some other metal legend, so it absolutely won't be a subpar release. But still letting such a potential go down the drain (creation wise) kills me. Will the line up hold 'til next record deal and another album (that is, another 4 years and 25 tours)? I sure hope so, but experiene teaches otherwise.

Call me crazy but I actually like the fact that Eric wrote all the riffs for the new album and this is not a knock on Alex Skolnick who is one of my all time favorite guitarists in the world but when it comes to writing thrash metal rhythm guitar Eric is the King. I'm hoping for The Gathering part II.

I haven't posted here in a while but I do check in from time to time to read your posts :)

I can't wait for The Brotherhood of the SNAKE! It will be a Beast of a release.

Reactions: one man and redfly
That being said, I of course think TBoTS IS a great album, but it definitely would have benefited from a more group effort, especially given the amazing line up that we're lucky to have. .

Are you implying you've heard it?

We'll have to rush Zetro, right? LOL
Lol Zetro said he had those done a long time ago. Maybe they forgot..

You know one man I wonder. How does Eric split up his music between Dragonlord and Testament. To me the only real difference in the two bands musically is that Dragonlord has keyboards. Well and I guess he's done a duet now. But if he has a killer riff, who gets it?

I think Eric is the most consistent guitar player in metal,and hell yeah hats off for keeping this going. But there's a time for complete control and there's a time to let it flow. He took control because he had to and he did awesome. But if you are putting together a real band. With these monster players you take your time when it actually comes album time.That doesn't mean it can't come together quick, but let the rushing be for whatever else. It can't be blamed on others when EVERYONE in the band has other projects going. I honestly think the problem is exactly the long touring cycles. If they did two years in between albums they could get all the touring they need in( because let's face it this is Testament they will always get offers ) and after touring ( and a break ) they start work on the new album and no one has time or in some cases need to do other things. And if not then you know who is really committed to Testament and who isn't. Eric seems to able to handle it, he wants to go deeper on set lists and he has wanted to start earlier in the album process on the last two. Alex I think, well honestly I'm okay with him just doing solos, they are always great and have depth no matter what. But Steve and Gene are super heavy and energetic and the rhythm section that's what I think needs to be fed the most. And they are most certainly not generic players.
If you're really gonna have a real band you need to make a home for the musicians...look at me acting like I know anything lol Just a fans perspective from watching and reading about countless bands :devil: :rofl:

And Chuck. Love Chuck, a beast and nice guy.. but I don't understand him lol He wants to mix up the set but they only kind of do. He wants to do albums sooner but it doesn't happen. Two albums in eight years? and I think he's the one pushing the tours right?

And you know what? they are cheating themselves by not jamming together. That's missed opportunity. I think the leadership of this band needs to get together and talk about some things lol

It's weird when people spend all this time and effort into building their band, touring, putting out albums, doing press. For years and years and then when the band reaches some kind of status they start branching out and in my opinion it's ironically the band that gets a bit neglected.

Reactions: one man and Neptune
Call me crazy but I actually like the fact that Eric wrote all the riffs for the new album and this is not a knock on Alex Skolnick who is one of my all time favorite guitarists in the world but when it comes to writing thrash metal rhythm guitar Eric is the King. I'm hoping for The Gathering part II.

I haven't posted here in a while but I do check in from time to time to read your posts :)

I can't wait for The Brotherhood of the SNAKE! It will be a Beast of a release.
Holy crap! Pascal! lol
I agree I don't really mind too much that he did. Because he so good. But I'll always wonder what might have been.