NFL 2012

The pre-merger can hardly compare. The league and the game itself were different. The few wealthy teams like the Packers, Bears, and Giants held a stranglehold on the entire league because they could afford to. The fact remains that the Steelers have the most Super Bowls. They're also the winningest franchise in the modern era.

Oops, I guess they don't exist then. Seriously, what is any of this even supposed to mean? All of this stemmed from my joking comment that the Steelers lost a Super Bowl because they felt bad about winning too many. The fact still remains that they've won more Super Bowls than any other team, and the fact still remains that pre-Super Bowl championships are not part of what is referred to as the "modern era".

"There is nothing better than oblivion, since in oblivion there is no wish unfulfilled."

The Giants are fucked if Amukamara can't play.

Hahaha, holy fuck I just started a fanboy war :p

Now, when it comes to choosing a team to love I never think with my brain. Some teams just make me feel something special. It's not only the team itself, but the history and the culture surrounding it. Kinda like metal I guess, only in my case it started with the music. The culture became part of my life at a later time.

Fuck it. Packers it is!

Oops, I guess they don't exist then. Seriously, what is any of this even supposed to mean? All of this stemmed from my joking comment that the Steelers lost a Super Bowl because they felt bad about winning too many. The fact still remains that they've won more Super Bowls than any other team, and the fact still remains that pre-Super Bowl championships are not part of what is referred to as the "modern era".

oh well. the nfl still says packers and bears have more championships. the steelers didn't even win anything before the 70's to try and add to the 6 they've won since the nfl-afl merger

Do you think I'm not fully aware that the Steelers sucked almost right up until the 70s? Honestly? I know way more about the Steelers than I even should. I know they don't have the most "NFL championships", but I was talking about Super Bowls. Pre-merger was a different era of the game, and the Steelers have been the best team of the modern era (with the Patriots being the best since the free agency era in the early 90s).

Speaking of playoffs and championships, Goodell is talking about expanding the playoffs. I think this would be much better than extending the regular season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8743130/nfl-discuss-expanding-playoff-field-roger-goodell-says

I think expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16 teams would be great. More football, more competition, and games with more purpose (elimination) vs more regular season game for teams in some cases with nothing left to play for.

That's a ridiculous idea. It's bad enough teams make it in at 9-7 year after year, let alone get on a hot streak and go on to win the championship. Twelve is like the perfect number to me.

They need to get rid of divisions ffs and just determine seedings based on record and tie-breakers. Getting an automatic playoff spot because you won your horrible division is dumb imo.

They need to get rid of divisions ffs and just determine seedings based on record and tie-breakers.

I completely disagree. Division games/divisional records add an intense extra layer of meaning to games, and gave us pretty much all the big rivalries. If you read the article, you would note that just adding 1 extra team to each conference playoff slate reduces the available byes from 2 to 1, this increasing the need for the top teams to continue playing hard after wrapping up a playoff spot.

I don't think they should get rid of divisions- division rivalries are the heart of the NFL. KingRich only feels that way because the Colts are in a division with no history, but the rivalries of the NFC North, East, AFC West, East are the core of the NFL schedule.

I do think division winners shouldn't get an automatic home game. It's a joke that the 2010 Seahawks were "rewarded" for beating out the garbage Rams, 49ers and Cards, barely scrapping by at 7-9. And yes, they won against the Saints, but do you think they win if that's in the Super Dome? An 11-5 team should never have to travel to a 7-9 team's stadium in the playoffs. It's just stupid. Give them a playoff spot for winning the division, but make the seeding based on record. "Division champion" can be the first or second (after head to head) tie breaker.

Don't really like expanding the playoffs, but considering that bye week seems to be having less and less ostensible benefit in recent time, I wouldn't be opposed to expansion of playoffs. Maybe to 14, so the #1 seed still gets a bye.