NFL 2012

^What kind of stupid fucking statement is that? The AFC South has no history, therefore my opinion is invald? Eat a dick. The Steelers-Ravens games are great and competitive, but it's hardly a rivalry. The Steelers usually shit all over the Ravens. And what teams in the AFC East comprise a rivalry? That division is always horrible. The truth is, there are hardly any good rivalries in the NFL. We've just become accustomed to certain teams always having to play each other and hatred of the other team has being created, that's not a rivalry. The greatest true rivalry of the 2000's weren't even division opponents. Nonsense you speak! I still love you though.

Anyway, playing hard after wrapping up a playoff slot is dumb though. That's taking unnecessary risks in a brutally violent game. It's like adding another bullet to the revolver in a game of Russian Roulette. It substantially increases the chances of disaster while marginally increasing the chances of benefit. It makes even less sense ESPECIALLY when you factor in that having a bye week in the playoffs is rather meaningless anyway.

I think this idea waters down the playoffs even more so than it does already. What's the purpose of having eight divisions and division titles and fighting for that automatic playoff berth when just as many teams who don't win their division have a chance to make the playoffs as well (assuming it's changed to 16 teams in the playoffs). Not only that, but I don't know of a single professional league that allows half of its teams to enter postseason competition like that.

I do think soccer does it best, round robin and I think they play every team twice, and then top 8 or whatever make it to the playoffs..obviously cannot play that many football games but a much better playoff idea I think

I do think division winners shouldn't get an automatic home game. It's a joke that the 2010 Seahawks were "rewarded" for beating out the garbage Rams, 49ers and Cards, barely scrapping by at 7-9. And yes, they won against the Saints, but do you think they win if that's in the Super Dome? An 11-5 team should never have to travel to a 7-9 team's stadium in the playoffs. It's just stupid. Give them a playoff spot for winning the division, but make the seeding based on record. "Division champion" can be the first or second (after head to head) tie breaker.

Don't really like expanding the playoffs, but considering that bye week seems to be having less and less ostensible benefit in recent time, I wouldn't be opposed to expansion of playoffs. Maybe to 14, so the #1 seed still gets a bye.

Agreed.

Falcons = paper tigers. Been saying it for weeks now. Patriots are looking like a strong SB contender right now. NFC looks like a tossup.

I don't think the Falcons stand a chance outside of the Georgia Dome.

Personally, I'd like to see the Broncos against the Redskins in the Super Bowl.

edit: Note, not a prediction. Just a fantasy, though the Broncos certainly have a good chance of making it.

I would argue that any team who can't beat a crappy division winning team on the road doesn't deserve to play a good team later in the playoffs..Saints should have laughed at how easy that game could be, but choked..and the cinderella aspect of sports lives on

Peyton vs Eli? The Yawn Bowl.

Super Bowl matchups lately have sucked. I didn't watch the last Super Bowl and the way things are beginning to shake out as far as viable SB contenders I most likely won't watch this one. When you are sick of both teams playing there's no reason to watch. It's kind of like the political situation.

I could never understand this perspective. I mean I'm enjoying the Bengal/Eagle game that's on right now. Football is just an amazing sport.

I think you might be going through the cultural, over-stimulated, shift of attention.

Peyton vs Eli? The Yawn Bowl.

Super Bowl matchups lately have sucked. I didn't watch the last Super Bowl and the way things are beginning to shake out as far as viable SB contenders I most likely won't watch this one. When you are sick of both teams playing there's no reason to watch. It's kind of like the political situation.

lol Oh you.

I could never understand this perspective. I mean I'm enjoying the Bengal/Eagle game that's on right now. Football is just an amazing sport.

I think you might be going through the cultural, over-stimulated, shift of attention.

I would enjoy an Eagles-Bengals Super Bowl. I wouldn't mind seeing Bengals fans get something to cheer about. But I think I speak for everyone except Patriots fans when I say no one wants to see a TriCornerHat helmet in the playoffs for a while. On the other side of the league, I guess I'm stuck maybe rooting for the SeaHawks as some sort of underdog.

I can't enjoy the game if I want both teams to lose.

I would enjoy an Eagles-Bengals Super Bowl. I wouldn't mind seeing Bengals fans get something to cheer about. But I think I speak for everyone except Patriots fans when I say no one wants to see a TriCornerHat helmet in the playoffs for a while. On the other side of the league, I guess I'm stuck maybe rooting for the SeaHawks as some sort of underdog.

I can't enjoy the game if I want both teams to lose.

Totally disagree. That offense is so much fun to watch. I think I've actually gotten to a point in my fandom of the NFL that I would rather see greatness prevail then minnows steal the show.

As for the Eagles last night, not too much to say other than a mistake filled game by a poorly coached team. Nile to see the DL finally making plays and getting sacks. With all the talent they have, it should have been like last night all year.

As for Foles, he had a pretty medicore game. Some good plays in the second quarter, but I'm concerned with how often he underthrows deep balls. Not sure if he has sufficient arm strength.

Totally disagree. That offense is so much fun to watch. I think I've actually gotten to a point in my fandom of the NFL that I would rather see greatness prevail then minnows steal the show.

I'm a Cowboys fan first, football fan second. NFL fan not at all. The NFL is just a particular league providing what is currently the best overall product. Even if the NFL product is good as a whole(relatively speaking), that doesn't mean I care for all parts of it. Personalities are a big part of the appeal of the game, and RGIII makes me actually like watching a rival team. Brady is a good QB made great in the eyes of the mouthbreathers because of the system and Adam Vinatieri's leg. Matt Cassell's complete flop in KC makes that quite evident, as well as Brady's playoff failures in the last half a decade.