NFL 2012

Use this as a reference... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

The two best teams (seeds) of each conference- In this case the Falcons and 49ers (NFC conference) + Patriots and Broncos (AFC). These teams get a week off and don't have to play in this round. As you can see here, these teams are rewarded with a week off and no chance at elimination yet.

The best 4 teams below them in each conference have to play Wildcard games. Taking the NFC for example, the Packers (3rd seed in NFC, the best in the wildcard games) get to play the lowest seed, the Vikings (6th seed). The Redskins (4th seed) play the Seahawks (5th seed). As you can see here, the Packers are rewarded for doing well by getting to play the team with the worst record.

After the wildcard games are played, the two teams that did not play this round play the winners of the wildcard games. Falcons get to play the worst seed, 49ers the best seed. If, for example, the Vikings and Redskins win wildcard- the Falcons would play the Vikings (6 seed) and 49ers the Redskins (4 seed)

After that round it's straightforward. The winners of the last game play each other, then the winners of each conference go to the superbowl. It's a little convoluted, but it certainly rewards the teams with the best record. No doubt its engineered this way to make for more playoffs games for more $$$$

Use this as a reference... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

The two best teams (seeds) of each conference- In this case the Falcons and 49ers (NFC conference) + Patriots and Broncos (AFC). These teams get a week off and don't have to play in this round. As you can see here, these teams are rewarded with a week off and no chance at elimination yet.

The best 4 teams below them in each conference have to play Wildcard games. Taking the NFC for example, the Packers (3rd seed in NFC, the best in the wildcard games) get to play the lowest seed, the Vikings (6th seed). The Redskins (4th seed) play the Seahawks (5th seed). As you can see here, the Packers are rewarded for doing well by getting to play the team with the worst record.

After the wildcard games are played, the two teams that did not play this round play the winners of the wildcard games. Falcons get to play the worst seed, 49ers the best seed. If, for example, the Vikings and Redskins win wildcard- the Falcons would play the Vikings (6 seed) and 49ers the Redskins (4 seed)

After that round it's straightforward. The winners of the last game play each other, then the winners of each conference go to the superbowl. It's a little convoluted, but it certainly rewards the teams with the best record. No doubt its engineered this way to make for more playoffs games for more $$$$
Thank you for clarifying this! Complicated stuff if you're new to the sport!

Not to overcomplicate things for a newcomer, but the six best teams from each conference don't automatically make it to the playoffs. The four division winners make it automatically, regardless of how they compare to the other teams. So for example in 2010, the Seahawks got the 4th seed as the #4 division winner, depsite finishing 7-9. The Giants and Bucs both finished 10-6 but missed the playoffs. So in short, the best teams don't necessarily make the playoffs.

Not to overcomplicate things for a newcomer, but the six best teams from each conference don't automatically make it to the playoffs. The four division winners make it automatically, regardless of how they compare to the other teams. So for example in 2010, the Seahawks got the 4th seed as the #4 division winner, depsite finishing 7-9. The Giants and Bucs both finished 10-6 but missed the playoffs. So in short, the best teams don't necessarily make the playoffs.

Yeah, I tried to keep it simple, at least for the purposes of going forward after this point.

75 MINUTES UNTIL GAME TIME!

WHODEY!!!

CincinnatiBengals.jpg

Hoping for a Packers win today, but I'm nervous about it. If they win today I see them winning the superbowl.

I also have to work so I'm going to miss the whole fuckin thing.

Got home from work just after the first half, looks like I didn't miss anything. -6 passing yards for the Bengals in the first half?! I don't think I've seen that before. The second half is a pretty good watch. I'd like to see the Bengals come out with a win. The Texans defense and crowd are dominating though.