NFL 2013

Jimmy, you better not be talkin to me.

Honestly though, I was very anti-Tebow in the beginning, then I decided I wasn't giving him enough of a chance... then he helped us get that win at the VERY end, which I was quite happy about... but I'm sick of waiting for "Tebow Time", I just want a legit game. I'd rather have Mallet as a back-up than him.

I'm sure Tebow will have a career for himself somewhere, though...

Yea, I'm talking to you dummy. Nobody wants to hear about Tebow in the preseason, please and thank you. You've stunk up enough of this forum with your banality, don't stink up this thread too.

Go away.

If you look around the league rosters I think you can say this for most teams (about safeties)

I agree. For example, I'm not sure there's a single safety in the NFC East that I would actually want. But still, it makes no sense to refer to the Cowboys DB unit as a whole as "deep" with those safties. Teams like SF and Sea can legitimately claim to have all around strong and deep secondaries.

I definitely agree with Tebow being overrated... but it was kind of a shock after he led us to such an awesome win. I dunno, that was just me.

The thing is that "awesome win" was against guys who today are turning in their resumes at Chipotle. (Or the CFL maybe; pay probably isn't too different).

I take it Justin Durrant looks good then? Lee and Carter are a great duo, but I still wonder about the third spot.

And as far as the DBs, the corners are good, but the safties look like a bunch of bargain bin players and journeymen.

You're setting an unrealistic bar for depth. There's not many Ed Reed's in the NFL, much less backups at that level. Depth is having at least JAGs on the bench, rather than liabilities.

I haven't seen much of Durant or Sims in the preseason, but based on scout reports I don't have any reason to be concerned.

Church is supposed to surprise a lot of people this year (was supposed to last year before the ACL tear), and Allen has played well in the preseason.

They don't need to be Ed Reeds, but from what I've seen from Allen, I would describe him as a JAG, which makes me question whose behind him. We'll see soon enough, but it's definitely a question mark going into the season, especially considering some of the passing attacks the Cowboys face this season.

Sims was a really bad player in Detroit and Philly. Great athleticism, but no football instincts. When he played in Philly the fans started to call him "the blind shark" or something like that, because he was a jet on the field but constantly missed tackles. His biggest hit came when he missed a tackler and annihilated one of his teammates.

Sometimes it's simply a problem of scheme. Great players are expected to be good regardless of scheme, others need the right situation to thrive. That's basically what is discussed re:Allen, because he has been apparently playing better than expected since being brought in. I think it's all rookies behind Allen, so there's no way to know about them for sure yet.

As far as Sims goes, it may again be a scheme issue. Sims wasn't exactly the only person "underperforming" on the Philly D, and Detroit hasn't been exactly stingy or well disciplined in the last x number of years either. I don't know what Durants speed is, but if you have Lee, Carter, and Sims on the field, that's an incredible amount of speed, and you don't have to worry about picking up linemen as much.

You'll get no argument from me about the Eagles defensive schemes in the post-Jim Johnson era and I think some players have been hurt by bad coaching. But Sims was just bad. It wasn't like he was out of position, it was just that he missed tackles, took bad angles, etc. Just mistakes that a 5 year vet shouldn't of been making. But if he's a backup I guess that's ok; I mean he definitely has more athleticism then just about any other backup LB in the league.

Yea, I'm talking to you dummy. Nobody wants to hear about Tebow in the preseason, please and thank you. You've stunk up enough of this forum with your banality, don't stink up this thread too.

Yes, we know, Tebow sucks, and the pre-season doesn't matter. Nice to meet you too, Jimmy.

If you want my honest, outside-my-hometown-fandom opinion though (from talking to other, more knowledgeable people than myself), everyone thinks Dallas. This also seems to be the consensus on this board. I've never had a lot of faith in Tony Romo, but we shall see...

While the man on the street might think Dallas this year, the "experts" are not sold on Dallas. I think they will be better, but even without injury bugs and a much improved defense (partially jut due to starters on the field instead of guys off the street), Im concerned about the Seattles of the league. Dallas has lacked toughness in the trenches for a while, and teams that will "hit you in the mouth" have been their Achilles heal for a while. This was one of the reasons for drafting Frederick. Garrett wants to get tougher on the Oline. Its going to take a couple more drafts though to right the Oline, and then we're looking at the end of Romo's peak production. Hope we can find another franchise QB to play catch with Dez.

I can't see Dallas wining it all or even the NFC. I mean I guess they could to what the Giants did and sneak in and then get on a role, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just too thin of a team and a coach that I don't trust to out-coach some of the better coaches in the league. I could definitely see them winning that division, but then again I could see the Skins or Giants doing that too.

As for Romo, as long as he doesn't get injured he should be able to play into his 40s. He might lose some of his mobility, but other QB skills don't deteriorate that quickly. It's all about limiting the hits he takes.

I can't see Dallas wining it all or even the NFC. I mean I guess they could to what the Giants did and sneak in and then get on a role, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just too thin of a team and a coach that I don't trust to out-coach some of the better coaches in the league. I could definitely see them winning that division, but then again I could see the Skins or Giants doing that too.

As for Romo, as long as he doesn't get injured he should be able to play into his 40s. He might lose some of his mobility, but other QB skills don't deteriorate that quickly. It's all about limiting the hits he takes.

I think the coaching will be much improved this year. Garrett has control of the lockerroom, and now isn't going to be overwhelmed with running the offense on top of all other operations. He is going to excel as a "Walk around coach".

As far as depth goes, I really don't see any particular team in the NFC that appears anywhere near invincible at this point.

That could definitely help, but I'm also not gonna assume that Garret will suddenly be a good game manager. Some coaches just suck at that regardless of their other duties (i.e. Andy Reid).

There's no such thing as an invincible NFL team, we all know that. Just make the playoffs and you have a shot, but the 49ers and Seahawks have to feel good about their depth (save WR).

So who do ya'll have in tonight's game?

Finally this season kicks off for real. Love tonites match up and the Pack v 9ers and Boys v Giants are the only other appealing games imo.

No way the Boys win a title w that coach and that buffoon QB.

Broncos 27 Ravens 20
Yeah I'd guess something in that ballpark. Close win for the Broncos.

Finally this season kicks off for real. Love tonites match up and the Pack v 9ers and Boys v Giants are the only other appealing games imo.

No way the Boys win a title w that coach and that buffoon QB.

Uh Falcons-Saints doesn't interest you? Seahawks Panthers? I think there's a ton of interesting games this weekend. And Eagles Skins is intriguing. What will Chip Kelly's offense look like? How will RG3 look?

Uh no not really.

I guess Falcons v Saints. Its too early...when RG3 gets going and things start playing out...ill be all in. Id watch like a Skins v Seahawks all day long w those exciting QBs.
I can only watch / DVR so much. Still have RedSox, NCAA football (id watch ND v Mich in the bighouse over half the NFL games anyday) and the US Open to follow. Its a great time of year!

I think the Bronco's are going to slaughter Baltimore, though I don't really care either. Unfortunately I have to work so I won't be able to watch it.

I'll take Denver over Baltimore, but I don't foresee a blowout. I think the Ravens have enough offensive punch to keep it close. Losing Lewis is only going to improve the middle of their defense, especially in nickel situations.