NFL 2013

Observations from yesterday's games:

Sea Car:
- Panthers' front seven was dominant for the first three quarters. Way more talented unit than I realized. Lotulelei looked really good; Kuechly is a beast. They absolutely shut down Sea's run game for the first three quarters.
-However, the ran out of steam in the humidity and the Seahawks took control of the LOS in the 4th.
-Russell Wilson did a very good job of taking what the defense gave him and not making risky decisions, despite the fact he was getting hit a lot. When he finally had a chance for a big play he capitalized.
-Car is gonna have trouble scoring points. They just lack weapons and any vertical threat other than Steve Smith. Still, they might have won this game if DeAngello Williams didn't fumble in the redzone late in the 4th.

SF-GB

-Packers O-line is not as bad as I thought. They're far from elite, but they're probably around league average.
-I really love the way Eddy Lacey runs. Direct and powerful.
-It's ridiculous how strong Collin Kaepernick's arm is.
-The Packers kickoff returner is retarded. There were several occasions when he ran it out when he shouldn't have and got tackled inside the 20 or even the 10.
-Boldin is a perfect fit for the 49ers scheme.
-Jim Harbaugh has some serious balls.

Dal- NYG
-Both teams are gay

I don't think Football is credited as a team sport, you never see linemen get credit or get paid when they probably are the most important position in the game.

That's totally incorrect. While casual fans might not care about OL, coaches and GMs know how important they are. LT is the 2nd or 3rd highest paid position in the NFL. In contrast, RBs are super popular with fans but their salaries are some of the lowest in the league.

Sea Car:
- Panthers' front seven was dominant for the first three quarters. Way more talented unit than I realized. Lotulelei looked really good; Kuechly is a beast. They absolutely shut down Sea's run game for the first three quarters.
-However, the ran out of steam in the humidity and the Seahawks took control of the LOS in the 4th.
-Russell Wilson did a very good job of taking what the defense gave him and not making risky decisions, despite the fact he was getting hit a lot. When he finally had a chance for a big play he capitalized.
-Car is gonna have trouble scoring points. They just lack weapons and any vertical threat other than Steve Smith. Still, they might have won this game if DeAngello Williams didn't fumble in the redzone late in the 4th.

wat, how could you possibly know that? what kind of shit...

That's totally incorrect. While casual fans might not care about OL, coaches and GMs know how important they are. LT is the 2nd or 3rd highest paid position in the NFL. In contrast, RBs are super popular with fans but their salaries are some of the lowest in the league.

Well there isn't a capgeek website (that I could find in 3 minutes) on the net like there is for the NHL, but out of these top 25 paid players not one is an OL and I think the highest contract I saw was for like 9 mil--for the best there is out there.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000147197#photo=25

Football is a sport run by sacks, catches and touchdowns. Not blocking, and that's why some dudes get paid like doo-doo

Well it's a fact that it was humid, they were down a man and the tide turned late in the 4th. Could have been some other factor (i.e. change in scheme) or a combination of factors, but to me they looked worn out.

Thats why i mentioned camp and preseason...wtf are these guys doing during this time? Its humid hot as shit in camp they should be adjusted to these conditions by now. I guess it could be a factor to a point who knows?

Well there isn't a capgeek website (that I could find in 3 minutes) on the net like there is for the NHL, but out of these top 25 paid players not one is an OL and I think the highest contract I saw was for like 9 mil--for the best there is out there.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000147197#photo=25

Football is a sport run by sacks, catches and touchdowns. Not blocking, and that's why some dudes get paid like doo-doo

Looking at the top 25 proves nothing. 14 of the top 25 are QBs, so you're gonna jump to conclusions of the rest of the league's salary based on 11 contracts? That's irrational. Also Jason Peters is on the list, and last time I checked he played OL.

Here's a more robust article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1563549-breaking-down-the-money-at-every-nfl-position

According to this article, OL are basically paid the same as WRs, DEs, DTs and LBs (all an average of about 1.8 mil). However, considering that guards, centers and swingmen tend to be paid significantly less than OTs, I would expect that OTs are some of the highest paid players in the NFL on average.

Thats why i mentioned camp and preseason...wtf are these guys doing during this time? Its humid hot as shit in camp they should be adjusted to these conditions by now. I guess it could be a factor to a point who knows?

Well camps are shorter and less intensive than before so players are less conditioned then they used to be come week 1. And regardless week 1 is always though; playing an entire game for the first time in 6-8 months is exhausting and even worse when you're in extreme heat.

I get that. But no excuses, both teams have to deal with the conditions. Unless multi players go down with injury on one side, even then back ups should be conditioned too.

Another reason I think longer camps, more conditioning, game prep and less stupid f'in preseason games. Tack on more reg season games at end of schedule if need be.

Looking at the top 25 proves nothing. 14 of the top 25 are QBs, so you're gonna jump to conclusions of the rest of the league's salary based on 11 contracts? That's irrational. Also Jason Peters is on the list, and last time I checked he played OL.

Here's a more robust article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1563549-breaking-down-the-money-at-every-nfl-position

According to this article, OL are basically paid the same as WRs, DEs, DTs and LBs (all an average of about 1.8 mil). However, considering that guards, centers and swingmen tend to be paid significantly less than OTs, I would expect that OTs are some of the highest paid players in the NFL on average.

So the article shows that QB's and DE's get paid the most (sacks and touchdowns) and somehow RB's get paid like dirt, but that number has got to be incredibly skewed by teams 2nd and 3rd terrible backs that barely see the ball--ever, or by the fact that most RB's get injured and banged up pretty young and often. Sure according to the article OT is pretty much in the same ballpark as the rest of the positions, but i'm not sure how it's any different than what I claimed before hand.

Yeah I stopped caring on that list after #15 and forgot about Peters and his broken ass

So the article shows that QB's and DE's get paid the most (sacks and touchdowns) and somehow RB's get paid like dirt, but that number has got to be incredibly skewed by teams 2nd and 3rd terrible backs that barely see the ball--ever, or by the fact that most RB's get injured and banged up pretty young and often. Sure according to the article OT is pretty much in the same ballpark as the rest of the positions, but i'm not sure how it's any different than what I claimed before hand.

1. Learn how to read. The article bunches all OL together. So obviously gaurds and canters are gonna bring down the average in contrast to RTs and especially LTs.

2. Yes, backup RBs bring down the average, but so do the backups at every position, so that's probably inconsequential to the study.

Yeah I stopped caring on that list after #15 and forgot about Peters and his broken ass

You mean arguably the best LT in football? Let me guess: you're still butthurt that we raped you for the only great player your franchise has produced in the last ten years.

And how about this Eagles offense? This is gonna be a really fun team to watch!

Packers played pretty well against SF. Kaepernick tore them up but they didn't have their two starting safeties. And they got screwed over by a shitty call. Should be improved from last year.

GBs D has s ton of problems. No running game and they're also going to miss Jennings more than they think. It's basically the Rodgers show featuring Clay Matthews.

Here are my observations from the first game of the Chip Kelly era:

-This offense is gonna be tough for the first few defenses to deal with. There’s so many new ideas happening so quickly, it’s gonna really wear down defenses mentally and physically. Throughout the season, defenses are really gonna struggle with this pace.

-Lesean McCoy might be recognized as the second best RB in football by the end of the season. No one else in the league has the moves he has and this offense is perfect for his skillset. That said Chip Kelly really overused him. He is not the kind of RB who can have 30+ carries a week and survive the season. Brown and Polk need to be used more.

-Vick missed a few open targets but overall I was happy. He didn’t make any huge mistakes and avoided turnovers, other than what was really a freak play. Vick still doesn’t know how to protect himself and it looked like he has already injured his groin.

-The Eagles need to get used to a few specifics about this offense, including being aware of the risk of laterals turning into fumbles and knowing that blocking on delayed screens can turn into OPIs.

-Kelly needs to keep his foot on the pedal until later in the game. It looked like he was trying to run the clock out early in the 3rd quarter and you just can’t do that in the NFL. He basically abandoned the passing game in the second half.

-I’m really happy to see Trent Cole play well. I kinda thought he was on the decline, but he was all over the place yesterday. ILB Michael Kendricks was also excellent.

-The secondary is mediocre, as expected. Cary Williams played better than I anticipated. And at least they were tackling, unlike the last few years.

-RG3’s mechanics were really bad. I don’t know if he’s not fully recovered or if it’s a result of no preseason snaps, but he really looked off. He improved in the second half, but the Eagles were giving up all the underneath routes. I am quite happy we got to play him week 1.