nirvana

Death_To_False_Metal said:
This board is the answer to eveything :

"Nirvana was a pop band"

"All the other grunge bands were better"

"Demos from Cobain's ass in 1987 featured his best material"

" Mankind is lost. David Bowie wrote "The Man who Sold The World ! Even Klingons know this "

I have other ones for ya :

Butch Vig is Satan

Kurt couldn't play his guitar

The Melvins destroy Nirvana in every way

Nirvana sold out after the Bleach demos !!

Cobain rapped the Meat Puppets !!! Three times !!!

Come as you are is a Jaz Coleman rip off !!!

Personnaly, I prefer Winger from this era, they had a fantastic guitar player (Reb Beach) and an incredible fusion drummer (Rod Morgenstein)

Too bad Nirvana stopped the career of this promising band ( their third album was the best.)

She's only seventeen !!!:headbang:

yea he couldnt play guitar could he?:rolleyes:

myra said:
Beg to differ.

Soundgarden was first signed to Sub Pop records and released Screaming Life in 1987.

Nirvana released Bleach on Sub Pop in 1989.

Further more, Screaming Trees released their first album in 1986, Green River released their first album in 1986 as well. Nirvana was FAR from the first "grunge" band.

I do agree that Nirvana was overrated. But they weren't horrible..there were a lot of bands that were a lot better than them that didn't get the recognition Nirvana did.

Hmm, ok, true, but just think how long Nirvana has been around before they even got signed onto a label. I'd say I guess they've been around for around the same time, but I guess Nirvana made a greater splash because they got fame earlier on in their career and made the genre popular. They began the so-called "grunge" seattle movement.

Well, now, that's a rather odd argument. You're arguing that, because Nirvana predate the other grunge bands (which they DON'T, as has already been pointed out), they are automatically better? That's just... ridiculous.

Quality shouldn't be assesed by when something was made. It can only be judged on whether or not it's actually good. If you made a crappy record in 1979, it would still be crappy today. If you made a great album last week, then it'll always be great, and it'll always be better than the aforementioned crappy one.

Ok, I'm gonna stop now, I can feel that if I go on I'm gonna cease to make sense. But I didn't think my post was that funny. Just... calm and rational?

Yeah, but it is an AMAZING grunge band that pre-dated most. I'm not assessing their "quality" with the fact they were one of the first but simply stating that they benefited from the fact they were one of the first and that's why I believe they became so respected by the fans and media alike.

I agree with your statement; Once a crappy record always a crappy record. BUT, hehe, Nirvana hasn't mae a crappy record. Bleach was good, Incesticide was "ok" (although Aneurysm is one of the best damn songs ever!) Nevermind was "superb" and a true breathrough record while In Utero was just simply mindblowing in terms of production and shock-value (I LOVE the sound of this album and its dark nature.) Cobain clearly was going downhill when he wrote this one. These are just my opinions.

Nirvana used to be my favourite band of all time in the early 90's.

Alcapoth said:
Hmm, ok, true, but just think how long Nirvana has been around before they even got signed onto a label. I'd say I guess they've been around for around the same time, but I guess Nirvana made a greater splash because they got fame earlier on in their career and made the genre popular. They began the so-called "grunge" seattle movement.

They began the mainstream "grunge" movement. All the bands in Seattle were already playing long before Nirvana broke into the mainstream. Soundgarden had been together and playing shows since 1984 and the same with many other bands. Nirvana didn't start the grunge movement, they popularized it.

Have you seen the movie Hype? It pretty much goes into detail on all those things.

biggsy said:
Yes and then No/No. Cobain is far more overrated than the band as a whole... all because he put a gun in his mouth. Oh and he wrote some music:erk:

A slightly overrated songwriter, MAYBE, but purely as a guitarist and especially soloist, he is underrated. The In Bloom solo alone shits on most rock solos. And as a singer he is grossly underrated.

My opinion ofcourse.

I think Kurt always said he was a crap guitar player. I don't think his stuff is very technically demanding but a lot of his parts are idiosyncratic and interesting. I think his playing and his ideas improved quite a lot on In Utero, it has some quite wierd and interesting bits.

For me Nirvana songs are more about a feeling than anything else though.

technical proficiency has no place in a discussion about nirvana. kurt wasnt that technically capable, but why is that even relevant? the smashing pumpkins werent that technically dexterous either, but billy corgan COULD play just about anything he wants. but i dont bitch about the fact that he didnt.

philza said:
n/t. discuss.

Probably one of the most over-rated bands of all time, and a total heap of shit, in my opinion. Nothing about Nirvana signifies greatness in any way, shape, or form... unless you consider turning on a generation of fifteen-year-olds to the world of self-perceived/self-inflicted agony.

Not only that, but the music itself is lack-luster and the lyrics are a joke. So the whole Nirvana craze doesn't work for me. I could care less about people who say they killed Metal or what have you, because that sort of talk is retarded. Nirvana's just a lame-ass band that has a lead singer who can pump out some half-decent vocal melodies. Blown way out of proportion, kind of like Alice in Chains, only worse.

Alcapoth said:
:lol: Oh jesus, man...FUNNIEST post ever! Nirvana was first, all other bands followed suite thereafter.

Nirvana is and will always be one of the greatest bands ever. In Utero was a freaking gem.

And yes, COBAIN IS a hero to those people who had a very hard time fitting in.

wow, you're a fucking clueless idiot :lol:

Geesh, kids these days don't know their history, Nirvana didn't kill metal, they killed "Hair Metal", BIG difference !

Remember that in 1989/1990, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake and Def Leppard were the biggest bands of the world ( though hair metal was an american phenomenon)

I remember reading interviews from the bands of that glam/ LA scene.
They basically said that in 1991, their record company changed their priorities overnight, with the word Sunset Strip morphing into Sub Pop !!!

Winger were killed literally by Beavis and Butthead !

Predator's Portrait said:
Probably one of the most over-rated bands of all time, and a total heap of shit, in my opinion. Nothing about Nirvana signifies greatness in any way, shape, or form... unless you consider turning on a generation of fifteen-year-olds to the world of self-perceived/self-inflicted agony.

Not only that, but the music itself is lack-luster and the lyrics are a joke. So the whole Nirvana craze doesn't work for me. I could care less about people who say they killed Metal or what have you, because that sort of talk is retarded. Nirvana's just a lame-ass band that has a lead singer who can pump out some half-decent vocal melodies. Blown way out of proportion, kind of like Alice in Chains, only worse.

Kill yourself

I bet you were waiting for the punchline, no joke, Kill yourself

NineFeetUnderground said:
had an argument with a girl one day who insisted "the man who sold the world" was the greatest song Kurt ever "wrote". was a sad day for music im afraid.

LOL, she's obviously never heard of David Bowie.

As for Nirvana - I love em. Love the entire grunge thing, it was the music of my teens. Love it and still cant get enough of thrashing out Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Breeders, the list goes on and on. Fucking fantastic scene with fantastic music, some of the best years of my life so far.