Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

Seems like this theme is actually fairly popular, and has another official arrangement:

Whoa, dat guitar solo at 2:10, nice :cool: listen to this and remember how to play guitar properly Bjorn, you lazy fuck.

Saiyan saga now finished. I like how the end of the fight really feels like you've been watching a big event. It's structured really well with the Saibamen, Nappa, a break, Nappa again and then finally Vegeta. I also like that the hero (Goku) doesn't come back and triumphantly vanquish the villain. Goku actually loses to Vegeta, as he can't overcome him in his Oozaru form. Even Kaio says that he underestimated Vegeta's strength. The only reason Vegeta loses is because he's too arrogant and also has bad luck with Gohan transforming into Oozaru form and then landing on him at the end. The human/lesser characters all add to the fight, for what is probably the last time in Dragon Ball, as from this point on it's all about Super Saiyans and the humans become kind of useless as far as fighting is concerned.

Even though I liked the saga of Namek, this is the list time that Dragon Ball was really great.

I have a lot of nostalgic memories of the Saiyan/Namek/Freeza saga (they were replayed hundreds of times in the UK back in 1999/2000 whilst we waited for more of the series to be dubbed) - Androids saga OK, Cell saga OK... but I lost interest after that. I think the story was fine to conclude there.

After Goku became a super Saiyan everything lost sense. The beginning of the Cell Saga is ok. But the rest of it was just meh. The same pattern repeated once and once again.

Cell Saga was worth it for the SSJ2 Gohan scene, but otherwise yeah. DBZ became very repetitive after the Freeza saga.

Non-DBZ related, I'm really baffled by how popular Demon Slayer is. I watched the first season and it was.... OK? I didn't hate it but I didn't think it was anything special either. The movie that came out last October is the highest grossing anime/Japanese film of all time :D just WTF. I don't get it. There's plenty of anime series that are way more original and interesting than this one. I have no idea what it was about this series that has caused such an explosion in popularity.

With that said, the opening song is great.

I'm also not sure. I've seen it. It's was addictive and has a nice story, but not something groundbreaking.

I seriously prefer shows like My Hero Academia over that one (as an example). And it's nowhere near the level of a Fullmetal Alchemist.

Maybe is the monster hunting thing or the story of the brother and sister that has attracted people's attention.

If you can then watch the two seasons from Noragami. The start is weak but is a great show.

I thought it was funny that Michael Jackson was the villain, and I do remember certain things about the show, so I guess I enjoyed it to some degree. Not to the point where I'd label it one of the best anime ever, or anything like that, though.

With that said, I have mixed feelings on Shonen as a genre. I really like some series - DBZ, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Code Geass, Death Note and FMA for example. But there are some big ones I have zero interest in - Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Fairy Tail and Bleach for example. I've tried to watch all of them, but just not my thing. Never seen My Hero Academia but I know it's very popular.

I haven't heard of Noragami but I'll add it to the list :D

I have the full manga of bleach. Read all Naruto and left One Piece and Fairy Tail.

But I can understand why people might not like those. In the end, they follow certain patterns and are less interesting than Death Note or FMA.

Though, in my opinion, Naruto is better than DB (just the manga, the TV show is a mess) and bleach, despite loving the art (talking about the manga again) was not really suited for a weekly anime adaptation and the latest archs suffered from a lack of direction and imagination.

My Hero Academia is, in my opinion, great. Animation and soundtrack are superb..and the story is different. This time, is not a hero with superpowers having to struggle against the villains. He also has to struggle with his body not being capable of holding his superpowers, which has physical consequences.

Though, in the last year's, my personal favourite, apart from FMA is One Punch Man. Great art. Funny story and the anime adaptation was also pretty good though insufficient.

The main problem I have with traditional/popular Shonen anime is that they are way too long. My sweet spot as far as anime is concerned is between 25-65 episodes. A little more or a little less is fine, Anything that goes way above that (100+ episodes) is taking too much time to tell its story. DBZ is the only anime I've watched that hits a really high episode count - and that's only because it was one of the first ones I watched as a kid. I also stopped watching after Cell so I didn't even get to the end of that one.

I also find these kind of shows (One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, etc) have the worst, insufferable fanbases. Weebs on a scale of 100. Although it's true of most anime, which is why this is literally the only place I talk about it.

Sure. That's why I prefer to read the manga. Also the art. Many times, these shows have poor animation quality. Luckily, MHA is an exception.

I find more enjoyable to read 74 volumes of bleach than watching the full show.

But, in the end, is true that the best series aren't that long. That reminds me of another show that I liked a lot. Bungo Stray Dogs. I think they were... Two or three seasons and a movie. Really enjoyable.

So I joined a Steins;Gate shitposting group on FB... and turns out it's mostly in Spanish :D I still get most of the memes, but not this one....

upload_2021-5-5_19-41-21.png

@eochaid any idea what this meme is supposed to be? Is it some Spanish meme I don't understand, or just a weeb meme I don't understand? :D

I had to search because that's a Latin American page, and it's, sometimes, a pain in the ass to understand what they're talking about.

Apparently, they're joking about making the taste of the semen better with pineapple.

In the post, there are people asking why the post and others implying that is sexual. Then I had to search on Google.

Also, have in mind that, many times, the way that Latin Americans talk or write is poor. And I mean that I have to interpret (translate) what they're saying. So, Google or Facebook translations might look confusing.

Even with translations I still barely understand what's going on tbh, but in a way that makes it funnier :D

As I said, don't trust translations when it comes to Latin Americans speaking in Spanish. Many of those guys are just teenagers without a proper education, so their "skills" (when using the language) is not the best.

Most English people are the same, so, it makes sense. I guess I can still laugh at the pictures.