Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

Well, at least it tries to stay true to the original song. We didn't get anything like that, instead we got "Rock the Dragon"...

Honestly I don't mind it, but it makes zero attempt to replicate the original opening in any way.... even uses completely different footage :D

For DBGT I can remember they tried to use some terrible rap song, before finally doing what they should have done in the first place and made an English version of the original. Although we ended up with two versions as Funimation dubbed DBGT in the US, and Blue Water Studios dubbed DBGT for the UK & Canada.

They're both fine, I guess. The original is way better than either of them though.

I really like the SSJ4 design in GT. It's much more interesting than Super, where each additional level of Super Saiyan seems to just mean changing hair colour. SSJ 3 & 4 are both really cool designs, even though neither were seen very much. I don't think the same effort is being made creatively nowadays.

Is that usual in the UK? Here in Spain they always try to replicate the original. It was shocking when they premiered Naruto in Spanish for the first time, because they have bought the USA version instead of the Japanese version, so it came with censorship and awful openings.

DBGT in Galician.

Dragon Ball opening also in Galician (this is hilarious). And yes, is what you're thinking. The guy is Anders' singing teacher.

Reactions: DE4life
Is that usual in the UK? Here in Spain they always try to replicate the original. It was shocking when they premiered Naruto in Spanish for the first time, because they have bought the USA version instead of the Japanese version, so it came with censorship and awful openings.

I think almost all of our anime back in the late 90s and 2000s was imported straight from America or Canada, and I think it's quite common practice over there to completely change the original music & dialogue to "adapt" the shows for an American audience. Basically saying American kids either wouldn't understand or wouldn't appreciate the original Japanese format.

In fairness they were probably right as far as Dragonball Z was concerned. The original Japanese score would have sounded quite dated even by mid-90s standards, and I don't know how an American audience would have reacted to CHA LA HEAD CHA LA :D probably change the channel before the song even finished. I don't mind the original Japanese DBZ but the BGM is nothing special. Only a few really good tracks like Unmei no Hi ~Tamashii VS Tamashii during the Gohan SSJ2 scene, which is timeless. By contrast the music for Goku's first transformation is pretty boring. Not that the American version did it any better.

Ps I kinda like the American Dragonball song :D

Lol, yeah. That was their first attempt at dubbing the original Dragonball in the mid-90s. It bombed pretty bad, though, and they only managed 13 episodes.

Then they moved onto DBZ, thinking as it was more action-orientated it would appeal to American kids. They were kind of right, even though it still took a couple of years for DBZ to gain any traction. It was actually cancelled in 1998 after two seasons, but then suddenly got popular in 1999 when it started airing on the US Cartoon Network.

Interesting. As far as I know, in Spain people prefers Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z.

I also do. I like the concept around the saiyans and the super Saiyan.

But then, everyone was able to become a super Saiyan and it lost its appeal.

And now, everyone is back alive. Even Freeza. Which makes the whole point of the battle of Namec and Goku becoming the legendary SS kinda pointless.

Luckily (for dragon ball), I live in a conservative region. So we're going to be ok. The people rulling Catalonia and Valencia are a bunch of morons :rofl:.

I just finished buying all the takubons from Fullmetal Alchemist. And now I'm watching, it was about time, FMA brotherhood.

What an amazing story. I love it.

I've only seen the original FMA, I never watched Brotherhood. I should do at some point. I can remember wondering why they'd made two versions of the same anime. From what I recall Brotherhood is more faithful to the manga than the original FMA.

Part of the reason I don't want to watch Dragon Ball Super is the animation design. It just looks too... clean. I have a similar issue with modern Simpsons - I much prefer the old animation. It may have been technically inferior but it has much more character, to me, than modern animation. I really hate that clean, shiny, polished look. I prefer the grittiness of older animation.

Also an interesting note regarding that Dragon Ball Super clip, the person voicing Duplicate Vegeta is actually his original English VA from the mid-90s. He voiced Vegeta for the first 53 episodes of the original English dub, before the dubbing was moved to Texas and therefore a different set of (much worse) voice actors. He voiced Vegeta again from episode 108 to the end in an alternate English dub that aired in the UK & Canada, but you can't find that dub in any kind of decent quality these days. And it sucked anyway. Kind of cool for them to bring him back for Super, although I have little interest in Super or the English dub of the series as a whole.

I agree. I like animes where I can see that there's some kind of... Personality. In the art.

About FMA.

The original series were released far before the manga was completed. So, brotherhood is an, almost, faithfull adaptation to the manga. They skip some parts and added a few ones. But, the manga was amazing so it is the TV show. Watch it. Is definitely among the best anime and TV shows ever.

Does FMA brotherhood have the story where the scientist merges his daughter and his dog? I don't remember much from the original FMA as I watched it like 15 years ago, but that scene was burned into my brain as it was so fucking chilling.

Yes. That's part of the Manga. And is still as sad as in the original series. I tend to skip that chapter.

I'm coming towards the end of the original Saiyan saga - the series has a very different tone when watched in Japanese. It's a lot more serious. Gohan is actually more annoying in the Japanese version than the English, as far as the earlier episodes are concerned. Kaio's voice is way better in Japanese. For reference, this is the English version:

For some reason the original English version made him into a fat, snorting fuck. I much prefer his Japanese voice which is almost the total opposite.

Also Vegeta's Japanese voice is great. I don't mind either of his English VAs, but the Japanese VA is far superior to both of them.

There's a comic parody in Spain. When Gohan is still having second thoughts about fighting Cell, the head of Android-whatever goes rolling to where he is standing and says to him "come on Gohan! Don't be a pussy!"

And yes. Gohan is pretty annoying.

Definitely way more annoying in the Japanese version than the English version. On the other hand in the Japanese version he genuinely sounds like a 5 year old, whereas in the English version he sounds like he's about 13... so...

I'm a bit disappointed as some music I was expecting to hear wasn't there :cry: years ago (and by years I mean 23 February 2001, according to the file properties) I downloaded a song called "Dragonball Z - Goku Vs Vegeta". It was a cool instrumental and I always assumed it was used in the Japanese DBZ. However, I'm at the end of the Saiyan saga now and never heard it. Then I check YouTube for "Goku vs Vegeta" theme and it isn't there. So now I have no idea what this song is, or if it's even from DBZ... it's probably from Digimon or something :rofl:

It sounds like it's legit from an anime or game...

It's going to bug me until my dying days if I never find out where this is from :D

Could it be from the DBZ game? I remember there was a Japanese one on SNES.

This comment got me thinking. I had considered the Japanese DBZ SNES games briefly but the sound quality is a bit too good for what a 16-bit machine could produce. Then I remembered there were some DBZ games released for the PS1 and the Saturn. It fits the time frame as I downloaded the file in 2001, so it couldn't be any game released after that.

There were three main Dragon Ball games released on the PS1/Saturn - Dragon Ball Final Bout (GT based), Dragon Ball Ultimate 22 and Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu for the Saturn which never saw an English release (although I think it came out in Spain and France).

Seeing as the Saturn game would probably be less likely due to its relative scarcity (I do own it, but it's in storage and would be a pain to locate) I started with Final Bout. No match. Then I tried Ultimate Battle 22, and what do you know...

Mystery solved and I can die peacefully. It's from this (terrible) game and is Goku's SSJ3 theme. Nothing to do with Vegeta.