Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

I've only ever watched the original FMA (not brotherhood) and all of the opening themes for that are great. Anime in general does a really good job with music.

Since I've been half-dead for the past few days from some kind of virus, I've watched both seasons of Code Geass again. Such a great anime.

I did find out however that they're releasing a new movie based on what happens after the series ends, except they released a bunch of "recap movies" first which not only recap the story, but fucking CHANGE it ... and we're talking big changes, like characters who are dead not being dead anymore. WTF. The story was perfect as it is, I can't understand why these fuckers are making such huge alterations to what was already a perfectly solid story. The new movie is now basically just going to be some alternate universe shit, as it doesn't follow on from the actual anime at all, only the recap movies. Bullshit. I'm not even sure I can be bothered to watch it now.

Anyway, the original producers were also clearly fond of massive boobs as they are everywhere. I know anime is kind of known for that but Code Geass is somewhat excessive :D I like a good pair of breasts as much as the next guy, but it's difficult to concentrate when there's boobs in your face every ten seconds.

So I know this thread is pretty much dead at this juncture but I have watched/rewatched some anime recently and thought I'd post some thoughts here.

Steins;Gate/Steins;Gate 0 is still GOAT.

I actually enjoyed watching Guilty Crown more the second time around than I did the first time. Maybe because I remembered more about what was going on. The second half and ending is a bit insane but fuck it, it's anime. Insane is fine.

SEGA Hard Girls... just wtf. I actually kind of enjoyed it but it was weird af and very short.

Outlaw Star - still holds up today. Fantastic show.

Cowboy Bebop - as above.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - watched a few episodes of this and gave up because I don't really like the animation style and found the plot kind of boring. Might go back to it in future as it is well regarded.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - OK so I'm about 20 years late to the party on this one but I watched this through for the first time a couple of months ago. Overall enjoyed it but the ending was really dumb. I get they were going for something different but this was too different, just boring and strange. The movie helped explain things a little better but was still bizarre.

Vision of Escaflowne - another one I'm very late to the party for. Animation style on this one took some time to get used to, especially the big noses which I just don't get and didn't look visually appealing at all. The actual story was okay. Nothing special but held my interest until the end.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba - watched this on the basis it was getting super high ratings, but meh. I did watch the entire first (and only) season but personally didn't think it was anything special. Not sure if I'll even seek out the second season tbh. Not my type of anime really.

I've recently watched

Babylon: don't watch it unless you want to be really mad at the scriptwriters.

March Comes In Like a Lion: good. Lovely. Nice series.

Noragami: loved it.

Psycho Pass: at the beginning I was skeptic. Ended up watching the 3 seasons and the movie.

Some others that I can't remember now.

Ah I forgot about Psycho Pass, I watched that too. First season was excellent. Second season got a lot of hate but I enjoyed it, was just too short at only 11 episodes. It did retread a lot of the first season but apparently they were hamstrung by the movie coming out and couldn't really progress the story in any meaningful way. I still thought they did a good job. Haven't seen the third season or the movie yet but will watch it at some point.

The movie is good. The third season has longer running episodes and it's not ended. Will end with a new movie. There are also three oves with past characters too.

I've got the Psycho Pass game on the PS4 so will probably play that next now that I'm familiar with the series.

It's called Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness. I got it free on PS Plus before I'd even watched the anime. It's a Visual Novel game so more like reading through an interactive manga. I haven't played a lot of VN's - only Steins;Gate, Steins;Gate 0 and Chaos;Child really - but I enjoyed the ones I did play. I have Clannad on PC as well but never got very far into that.

So I was babysitting my nieces and they were watching some cartoon called 'Miraculous Ladybug'. The storytelling style reminded me a lot of anime, even though the show itself was the usual modern CGI shit. I looked it up online and it turns out it actually was meant to be an anime originally, but they found the ladybug design too difficult to animate and switched to 3D CGI instead and made it more of a kids show.

Kind of a shame they didn't go ahead with the anime, as some of the visuals look quite nice.

My daughter is watching that. I always thought that it had a Disney vibe.

I'm watching Boku No Hero Academia. Good animation.

Jujutsu Kaisen. Too dark to be shown but the animation is superb.

And finished a bunch of shows. Some of them I cannot remember.

Just remember Food Wars. One of the most stupid shows that I've ever seen.

Just remembered. I watched My little sister Mirai.

Show that to your nieces. First time my son, almost 4, watched a movie to the end.

I haven't watched any new anime in a long time. Recently I've been going back and rewatching some of the classics:

- Steins;Gate/Steins;Gate 0 - still my favourite series of all time. Feels like it could have been made under any genre and been awesome, it just happened to be anime
- Psycho Pass - as above, a show that could have been made as anything but works perfectly as anime
- Guilty Crown - story is total shit, but visually very nice to watch
- School Rumble - really funny
- Angel Beats - very cool, but way too short
- Clannad/Clannad After Story - 2nd favourite behind Steins;Gate, another one that could have been made in any style and been incredible
- Code Geass - the story has some holes in and it's very hammy at times, but still great with an amazing soundtrack
- Death Note - classic, another that could have been any genre and been successful
- .hack//SIGN - strange series. I'd forgotten it didn't really have a proper ending, because it was basically just a promotional series for the .hack games. It's enjoyable for what it is though.
- Gundam Wing - an old school classic. Mindless fun.
- Ouran High School Host Club - still holds up well, short but fun series.
- Outlaw Star - another stone cold classic, with one of very few dubs I actually enjoy (Cowboy Bebop falls into this category too)

Since I have Crunchyroll I've been watching a few shows. But nothing really remarkable but Gintama (I love that show) and Jujutsu Kaisen.

And the best about Jujutsu Kaisen is the animation. The story is not bad at all but I don't find it that great. It is still good enough to keep me waiting for the next chapter.

Bungo Stray Dogs was a good show.

Uchoten Kazoku. Lived this for some reason.

Keep your hands off Eizouken. Another good show.

And I've seen some on Netflix but cannot remember the names. But Noragami. This was a great show from start to finish.

Have you seen the Dragonball Z Abridged series on YouTube? As far as I'm concerned that's now the official version of that anime :rofl:

I have not seen anything about dragon ball since GT. And, I'm seeing what they're doing now with the series and is a big now. Are they any good?

What I said about My Little Sister Mirai... If you can , watch it with your nieces.

Is the story of a family with one son who have a new member, a newborn daughter. And the jealousy that comes to the son. It was so well done... But the director is a genious. The guy behind the Girl who Leapt Through Time and The Boy And The Beast.

There was a scene... The father is working from home and taking care of the children while the mother went back to work outside home.

On this scene, the father is trying to teach the son how to use the bicycle while the daughter is crying (screaming) on her chair. So he has a little crisis.

At that scene, my son came to me and patted me in the shoulder while saying "everything is ok". That made me laugh hard.

Still, watch it. 100% for everyone.

I'll give it a look for sure, sounds worth a watch.

Dragonball Kai and Dragonball Super are the new series - the former is a condensed version of the original DBZ series, and the latter is a continuation which basically retcons GT and says it never happened :D

DBZ Abridged is an unofficial dub by a group called TeamFourStar on YouTube. It ran from the Saiyan Saga to the end of the Cell Saga. It's much shorter than DBZ and a lot funnier. It starts off a little rough but by the time they get to the Namek/Freeza saga it's basically better than any official dub. They did most/all of the DBZ movies as well.