Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

Yeah I'm being pressured by a woman to watch kdramas as well, the only problem is I'm pretty sure the ones I'm watching with violence, drugs, sex, etc are not the ones she wants me to watch :rofl:

I feel you. And it's not fair. I'm not trying to share anime with her. So I expect her to respect my personal space.

Long-running Shonen shows aren't really my thing, so I haven't seen Bleach. The sweet spot for me is normally between 26-50 episodes.

I have the 74 volumes of the manga. So, I stopped watching the show some time ago. Though I'm looking forward to the continuation when it's released.

So I watched a couple of animes recently...

Ben-To - strange little show about people having crazy gang fights for half-priced food :D not a show that takes itself seriously, as you'd expect. It was short but a fun watch.

Armitage III - A more classic anime from 1995. Art style very different to the standard nowadays - the scenery was drawn very well and looked great. The characters sometimes looked good and other times not so much. The actual plot was fine, but pretty cliché. I didn't mind watching it but it's nothing amazing. I only watched it because I read Beast in Black's Dark Connection album takes inspiration from it. What I didn't realise is that they didn't just take inspiration from it, they literally ripped some of the English dub and put it directly into their songs :D specifically on the beginnings of Highway to Mars and Midnight Rendezvous. I was listening to the Japanese dub with subtitles, but noticed from the subs that the lines looked identical to the lines from the BiB songs. I switched over to the English dub and sure enough, it was exactly the same.

I guess after watching Armitage I 'get' the album more than I did before, although it isn't exactly a complex subject.

I'm trying to follow the current season at crunchyroll but it's being boring. So far, a couple of interesting shows but none of them really original. What I'm looking forward is for the new Gintama movie. If you saw the final episode, then you know why. If you didn't, then you're missing the best anime tv show ending ever.

Gintama is wayyyy above my threshold for episodes :D

I watched Cyber City Oedo 808. Another cyberpunk anime, this time from 1990/1991. Also because Beast in Black sampled one of the dub lines from the first episode in Revengeance Machine (and now the lyrics to that one make perfect sense to me). The animation in this series is really nice. Character models and scenery is both very well done. A shame it's only three episodes. It would have been fantastic as a full series.

Gintama is wayyyy above my threshold for episodes

Just watch the last two...

If we talk about animation, I liked Fena, the Pirate Princess. But, it was just 12 episodes and the story was highly rushed. So, high quality animation and poor story developement.

Really good series might be:

Uchoten Kazoku (2 short seasons).
Keep your hands off Eizouken (three students, girls, who start creating anime at high school).
Blade Runner (so far, three episodes, is good).

And a couple of movies that I've seen and are... nice movies.

Her Blue Sky
Cider no Yō ni Kotoba ga Wakiagaru

And, a speciaol mention to Noragami. At first, I thought that it was the typical shonen but it's pretty good.

So far, many of the shows that I have started, from the recent seasons, I have left. Fucking boring and predictable. There's recently that tendency to create fantasy shows where a normal person enters into another world and, for some unknown reason, they're fucking smart and do everything right and people is inmediately attracted to them leaving the shows without real content. Just skip those.

Ah, now I remember, the second season from Beastars was also good.

I watched through season 1 of The Promised Neverland. Excellent story, very well paced and executed. I didn't think a story centred around kids would be that interesting, but they made it work. As the second season apparently sucks and isn't faithful to the manga, I'll avoid watching that and just read how the manga arcs played out.

Just watch the last two...

If we talk about animation, I liked Fena, the Pirate Princess. But, it was just 12 episodes and the story was highly rushed. So, high quality animation and poor story developement.

I kind of felt the same about Angel Beats. Not in the sense the story was badly developed, but it still felt rushed and could have easily been expanded by another ten episodes to fully flesh out the characters. Some series can do enough with a dozen episodes, but I tend to find the sweet spot is around 20-30. Less than that and it's difficult to fit in character and plot development to an acceptable level, unless the story is incredibly tight with a small cast of characters who can establish their personalities in a strong way as the action is happening.

Agreed. There are only a few shorts shows that come to mind and are really, really good. And I cannot remember any right now.

That reminds me... Mob Psycho. By the writer from One Punch Man. O think that there are two seasons so it's kinda short. And it's funny.

I've just had a look through most of the anime I've watched and yeah, the shortest ones are generally around the 20-26 episode mark.

Angel Beats! has 13 episodes but I felt the characters weren't quite fleshed out enough to have the desired impact at certain points. Ben-To is 12 episodes but it isn't really a serious anime, more like a parody. The characters are basically all tropes so don't need explanation, and the plot is fun but extremely simplistic. Season 1 of The Promised Neverland is 12 episodes and the story arc and characters are developed very well, but it isn't the end of the story as there is a Season 2.

Obviously there's older anime that was basically OVA, like Armitage III, Cyber City Oedo 808 and Golden Boy, but they are more like concepts than full blown series.

One Punch Man is on my list to watch, actually. I need to get around to that.

There's a drop in the quality of the animation in the second season for no reason.

I should be making a list of the animes that I've watched because I have forgotten about a lot of them.

I'm watching Ranking of Kings at Crunchyroll. What a nice surprise! One of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

I saw it was one of the highest rated anime's of 2021, but considering I'm still catching up with anime from the 2000s I'm probably some way off seeing it.

Take a look at the first chapter. You're probably going to be surprised.

I have renounced to watch animes ordered by year. There are just too many to do that

Netflix, excellent. Might be the most recent anime on my list to watch. I do like how the Japanese pronounce foreign sounding names. "Schuhneider" :D reminds me of Code Geass, there was a character called Schneizel and the way his name was pronounced by LeLouch always cracked me up.

Now I want to watch Code Geass again.

Reactions: eochaid