Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

I have to say the modern-day fansubbing community is impressive. I remember when Steins;Gate 0 came out a few years back the episodes with fansubs would be out literally hours after it had aired in Japan. Very impressive turnaround.

Also, I recently got the first season of Pokémon (from back in the late 90s) in Japanese fully subbed. A few years ago I found the first 20 episodes or so, but that was all that had been subbed at the time. I found it kind of crazy that such a massively popular animé had hardly any of its first season subbed. It seems like they finally did get around to subbing it all, 20 years or so later! The Japanese version has a totally different vibe to the American dubbed version. As for the intros...

I like the Japanese intro... but for me it's a rare W for the dub.

@eochaid have you ever watched Trigun? It's one of those somewhat popular late-90s anime series that I've never seen. Will be downloading shortly but wondering if it's actually any good or was just overhyped at the time.

Also, not Trigun related, but I'm downloading some 90s/early 00s anime in general and one of the series I'm downloading is "Legend of Black Heaven" which is apparently heavy metal based. Just checked out the first episode and the opening song is "Cautionary Warning" by John Sykes... which was super weird to hear as I've had this song on my mp3 players and such for over 20 years, but had no idea it was an anime opening :rofl: can't remember where I got it from back in the day, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't related to any anime series. It's a nice track, anyway.

Series I'm in the process of DLing or aleady DLed...

Legend of Black Heaven (1999)
The World of Narue (2003)
Trigun (1998)
Last Exile (2011)
Space Pirate Mito (1999)
L/R: Licensed by Royalty (2003)
Descendants of Darkness (2000)
Darkside Blues (1994)

Trigun is the only one I've actually heard of, so no idea if the others will be any good or total shit :D

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: eochaid
@eochaid have you ever watched Trigun? It's one of those somewhat popular late-90s anime series that I've never seen. Will be downloading shortly but wondering if it's actually any good or was just overhyped at the time.
I watched it a few months ago in Netflix

That was my third try because the first chapters were meh. I liked it. Did not think that it was amazing or brilliant but it was good.

Also, not Trigun related, but I'm downloading some 90s/early 00s anime in general and one of the series I'm downloading is "Legend of Black Heaven" which is apparently heavy metal based. Just checked out the first episode and the opening song is "Cautionary Warning" by John Sykes... which was super weird to hear as I've had this song on my mp3 players and such for over 20 years, but had no idea it was an anime opening :rofl: can't remember where I got it from back in the day, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't related to any anime series. It's a nice track, anyway.

Series I'm in the process of DLing or aleady DLed...

Legend of Black Heaven (1999)
The World of Narue (2003)
Trigun (1998)
Last Exile (2011)
Space Pirate Mito (1999)
L/R: Licensed by Royalty (2003)
Descendants of Darkness (2000)
Darkside Blues (1994)

Trigun is the only one I've actually heard of, so no idea if the others will be any good or total shit :D

I didn't see any of those shows.

About metal... Bastard!! About to be released in Netflix, is a Heavy Metal Dark Fantasy.

The author is a big fan of metal so the characters, kingdoms and incantations are named after metal bands or musicians.

The main character is Dark Schneider (Dirkschenider) and the main antagonist is called Lars. The kingdoms are Judas, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple and Metallicana.

Here is one of the villains.
Daimon.jpg

I watched it a few months ago in Netflix

That was my third try because the first chapters were meh. I liked it. Did not think that it was amazing or brilliant but it was good.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm expecting. Nothing mind blowing but something fun to watch. Kind of like Outlaw Star.

I didn't see any of those shows.

About metal... Bastard!! About to be released in Netflix, is a Heavy Metal Dark Fantasy.

The author is a big fan of metal so the characters, kingdoms and incantations are named after metal bands or musicians.

The main character is Dark Schneider (Dirkschenider) and the main antagonist is called Lars. The kingdoms are Judas, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple and Metallicana.

Here is one of the villains.
View attachment 30463

Yeah I'll watch this as well when it's released. Legend of Black Heaven is pretty good so far, I think you'd like it.

Cool looking villain, although I'm hoping there will also be a stupid little guy with hipster glasses and a baseball cap, forcing anyone nearby to listen to his "singing" whilst whining about wanting to be alone in his room and that he needs healing because he can't sleep. Let's call him Fanders Ariden. Also he has a minion called J. Slave who follows him around everywhere talking non-stop about how great he is and how everyone else is wrong about everything.

Then hero called Sesper Jomblad comes along and banishes annoying hipster and his minion to an alternate dimension with the power of the Flying V, solo from random song like, I don't know, December Flower causing them to stumble towards the portal, then hit with a brutal attack only known as the "lunar strain" which propels them into the portal which they will never escape from.

Last edited:
Oh also, Komi Can't Communicate - I take back what I said about it being OK. By the end I found it pretty boring. Characters weren't interesting or were just stupid, for the most part. Not sure why it's given such high ratings in all honesty. Reminded me of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but if all of the entertaining parts of the story were taken out.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm expecting. Nothing mind blowing but something fun to watch. Kind of like Outlaw Star.

Yeah I'll watch this as well when it's released. Legend of Black Heaven is pretty good so far, I think you'd like it.
I'll search for it.

About Komi... I still didn't see it. But Kotaro Lives Alone was pretty good. The drawings are shit but the characters and their personalities are brilliantly developed.

Cool looking villain, although I'm hoping there will also be a stupid little guy with hipster glasses and a baseball cap, forcing anyone nearby to listen to his "singing" whilst whining about wanting to be alone in his room and that he needs healing because he can't sleep. Let's call him Fanders Ariden. Also he has a minion called J. Slave who follows him around everywhere talking non-stop about how great he is and how everyone else is wrong about everything.

Then hero called Sesper Jomblad comes along and banishes annoying hipster and his minion to an alternate dimension with the power of the Flying V, solo from random song like, I don't know, December Flower causing them to stumble towards the portal, then hit with a brutal attack only known as the "lunar strain" which propels them into the portal which they will never escape from.

lmaoo that an anime i would watch :rofl:

Black Heaven - good show. Nothing amazing but fun to watch. I do like how the show basically makes the guy's wife and kid his enemy, and rock/metal the saviour from the drudgery of being a husband and father :D bold statement. Dude is basically a hero for being a shitty partner and dad.

It's at Crunchyroll but not for Spain. So, torrent.

The thing that it's about Metal reminds me of Detroit Metal City. Though the plot is obviously different.

Black Heaven storyline is... weird. Kind of nonsensical really. Nothing is explained in any real detail. You just have to accept everything at face value.

Finished Trigun - cool show. Really liked the aesthetic. The story was OK, but the ending felt a bit anticlimactic. Character designs were generally pretty good, but there were some wonky moments where the animation just looked straight up bad. Milly's character in particular often looked poorly drawn.

7/10, enjoyed watching.

I agree. The problem with many shows is that there tend to be big gaps in the quality of different chapters.

Like most anime series from around that time period, Trigun starts off largely episodic, establishing the characters, then kind of rushes into the end with a ton of info dump and flashbacks in the final few episodes. I also didn't think they really needed two 'big boss' characters in Knives and Legato. It feels like Knives in particular came in way too late to create enough tension during the final fight. Legato was far more interesting as a character, and I would have combined Legato/Knives as one character rather than two. With that said it's possible the manga did a better job of introducing Knives and showcasing him than the anime did. By the end I still wasn't really sure who Legato was, what his motivations were, or why he had psychic abilities. I'm fairly sure the anime never explains any of it.

The Priest character was well done, although again I felt like the anime left it too late to tell his backstory, which was dumped on the viewer all at once in a single episode. From what I've read Meryl's character isn't well liked, but I thought she was solid and drawn nicely for the most part.

My only other complaint is that sometimes the 'anime wackiness', largely characterised in Vash, came out of nowhere to kind of ruin important scenes, or take away from their gravitas. Sometimes it felt like the show was trying to be serious and a joke at the same time, which was a bit confusing.

I agree. Also, some transitions ins the story are confusing. Like there's too much missing info between chapters.

Yeah, I read up a bit on the manga and it filled in a lot of the missing parts from the anime. I guess when you've only got 26 episodes you have to streamline as best you can, and the plot of the manga is quite complex in of itself. The ending in particular was quite different in the manga compared to the anime. They did their best with the amount of episodes they had available, I think.

Sweet. I started watching some show from 1999 called 'Space Pirate Mito', it's... weird. Mito is a female alien who looks like a human child, but dresses in an adult suit when in combat or visiting her son, who doesn't realise anything is off until she reveals it to him at the start of the series.

Her son btw is half-human, meaning the dad was an adult human. So, this adult guy had a son with an alien who looks like a human child... dafuq man. Did the writers think that through properly?

I don't know that one. But the plot looks interesting. I might give it a try.

Just finished Spriggan. It's good. The old movie was better. And some design decisions were getting on my nerves.

Also, I'm watching Spy Family with my daughter. It's trending bit it's funny.

I've also seen on Netflix the Penguin Highway. A really good movie. One of the best anime movies that they have released in the last years.

About bastard, I hope that they keep all the sex and violence from the comics. Otherwise, the Heavy Metal Fantasy is going to lack a big part of what makes it special.

For those who don't know, the name of Dark Schneider comes from Udo Dirkschneider.