Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

I wouldn't go out of your way to watch Space Pirate Mito, as it really doesn't seem to be anything special and it doesn't get any great reviews or anything. I'm just watching it because I'm going through a bunch of late-90s/early-00s anime and it appeared on some list somewhere :D one thing that is strange about it is that the backgrounds and general scene details are very well drawn, but the characters are a lot more basic. It's a weird contrast.

I've seen Spriggan advertised on Netflix, it's on my watch list. Not seen Spy Family on there yet, but I'll add that one also.

I guess we'll see how far they take things with Bastard. Anime adaptions always get watered down to a degree, unfortunately. I do remember Spawn having a cartoon that pretty much went all in on the most hardcore stuff from the comics, but I think that was an American animated series. Still really good though.

A more mixed review at the time came from The Dallas Morning News, they questioned why anyone would "want to subject themselves to such a relentlessly grim, gruesome dehumanizing experience."

Sounds more like she was reviewing SC.

Reactions: eochaid
I'm curious because a retold is only worth it when it's better than the original.

The original Trigun was pretty good, so I'm not sure what they are planning to change about it. I guess the main difference would be that it might follow the manga story more closely and go into more detail. Kind of like with 'Full Metal Alchemist' and 'Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood'. Same story but from memory the latter was more faithful to the original manga.

The first one was finished long before the manga, so they had to imagine a good amount of the story and the ending.

The original anime did miss out a good chunk of the manga's story, even up to the point it reached, so I think a remake may actually be pretty cool if it's done right.

The art style could also be improved quite a lot. I assume it'll be more like the 'modern' anime style than the 90s style. Some of the original Trigun looks great, but Milly especially looks rough in most of her scenes. I don't like her character design at all. Vash looks great, so I hope they keep his look more or less the same.

I've just finished Grand Blue Dreaming at Prime Video.

The art is not the best. The story is really funny. A tale of a diving club. An ode to youth and friendship. I 100% recommend it.

I might watch that next. I just finished 'Serial Experiments Lain' which is an old anime from 1998. Really interesting, but also kind of creepy in parts and an unusual, sometimes confusing plot. Kind of reminds me of Evangelion in that it's very abstract at points and deals with a lot of deep themes that take some time to understand.

I've seen that a ño.g time ago but I don't remember about it.

From the new season, Lycoris Recoil is good. Also, at Netflix, My Uncle is not from this World.

I need to catch up with that, only two episodes released so far I think?

Yes. The down... The designs are a bit too much... Similar to what Disney is doing with 2d animation these days. But it's a great show so I don't care that much about that.

Usually I can adapt to the design as long as the general story and voice acting is on point.

I think that the voice acting is great. And the animation. Though is computer made it's really well done.

Reactions: DE4life
Summertime rendering at Disney + was a good show.

Also, if you didn't see Chainsaw Man do it. I find the story a bit stupid but the animation was great and the intro is one of those that I never want to skip.

That and Mob Pshycho final season.

Some nice covers here by some girl called "Amalee". Never heard of her before but apparently she's somewhat of a big deal in anime circles. Anyway, I like her voice and the English lyrics & vocals to these songs actually sound quite good.

Reminds me that I really should watch FMA again. I haven't seen that in over 10 years. The little girl & pet dog episode is one that anyone who's watched the show remembers instantly though, no matter how long it's been. That episode was fucking harrowing.

Of course Cruel Angel Thesis... an all-timer of an intro song, even though I personally think the anime itself is a little overrated.

Lyrics sometimes a tad awkward in English, but the Japanese lyrics are similarly wordy, so not an easy task. Still well done.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a cover of "Fake Wings" from .hack//sign, too. One of my favourite anime songs and actually one of my favourite soundtracks to an anime in general. The show itself is... kind of weird, and doesn't have a proper ending, as despite being a 20+ episode anime it's basically a very long promo for a PS2 .hack game. Nonetheless, the soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful.

First 7 tracks are all amazing. "Aura" is really cool too.

Sounds great!

I like both FMA shows. But, Brotherhood, no matter how good it is, has some design, at some point... Edwar's face was so wrongly drawn. It didn't really match the animation. Still, that's not bothersome enough. Still one of the best shows ever.